I thought I had a great start but look at the SUPERB finish!!!!!!!!!!!!

D

dugupfinds

Today:
1 Medieval Crotal Bell
1719 Halfpenny
Civil War Lead powder flask lid
3 Charles II Rose farthings
2 good buckles
3 roman bronze coins
1 amazing large Roman Silver of Valens AD364-378. Not sure whether its a 1.5 Siliqua or a Miliarense?? Does anyone know? Its 21mm & 3.18g

Attachments

• valens.jpg
    valens.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 1,438
Upvote 0

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ask gunner the local old coin guru ;)

Gunner

Dec 19, 2004
Freakin awesome find! That is a Miliarense my friend --> big $$$$ and extremely rare (I don't own an example of a Miliarense)! Wanna sell it? ;) Your coin appears to be slightly clipped..that, to me, explains the lighter weight. By the time of the rule of Valens, the Siliqua had reduced in diameter and weight drastically. With that weight on a silver coin of Valens, there is no question in my mind that it is a Miliarense.

"Lot description:

VALENS

Estimate $1250 ----> SOLD FOR $800.00 US

VALENS. 364-378 AD. AR Miliarense (4.37 gm). Struck 367-378 AD. Trier mint. D N VALEN-S P F AVG, pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right / VIRTVS EXERCITVS, Valens standing facing, head left, holding standard in right hand, leaning against shield in left; SMTR. RIC IX 26b1; RSC 71†b. Toned EF. ($1250) From the Jürgen K. Schmidt Collection. Ex Fritz Rudolf Künker Auktion 26 (9 March 1994), lot 604."

I'll try to find an exact match but this should confirm the Miliarense attribution. Congratulations..you just dug up one of the rarest of Late Roman Denominations...especially for the time of Valens. In fact, I probably will have a hard time finding another example. Your's may indeed be a rare variant of a rare coin. Go figure =).
Gunner

Attachments

• 592193.jpg
    592193.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,310

Gunner

Dec 19, 2004
This coin sold for $102.50. Looking at the condition of yours compared to that one...you should get a rough figure as to what a valuable find you have :). This is a match to your coin.

RIC 266 Trier/ RSC 71a

Gunner

Attachments

• _trier_RIC_266.jpg
    _trier_RIC_266.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 1,298

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AD 364-378??? Damn, and I'm thrilled when I find a coin from the 1800's...:):) Awesome finds, love seeing the old coins (makes my large cents etc seem like clad) Congrats and hope there's more coming your way.....HH

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Wow!!!,, what a find, Congrats!!!
Looks like we'll be seeing this one on the top of the page...
Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~

OP
OP
D

dugupfinds

Not typical, super special. I normally find 1 Denarius a year. I have found 3 already this year & the above Miliarense. I have never had one before, so a nice addition to the album.

Typically I might find 5-10 grotty Roman coins each day, 2 or 3 medieval buckles, 5 Musket balls, 2 Livery Buttons, 3 Georgian halfpennies & a few other bits & pieces.

Body acheing but still itching to get out, the field I was on will be drilled & unworkable next week so will have to find somewhere else!

dugupfinds

OP
OP
D

dugupfinds

Only one Civil war period where I come from & thats 1649-1660.

satellite

Sep 30, 2006
Carrollton Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cult Member
Cutlass II micromax
Bandido II micromax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!! Fantastic finds. I am embarrassed to post mine now!! HAHA!

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATS ON YOUR AWSOME FINDS and 3 king charles farthings and the powder flask lid found in the same area is considered what under the
British Treasure Act.Section 2 [coins], part 2 and the roman silver and 3 bronze coins would that too come under this section of the Act.I don,t quite understand !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tinpan

OP
OP
D

dugupfinds

None of these have to be declared under the Treasure trove Act of 1996.

The Charles II Farthings are Copper & the Lid is Lead. So I have no idea what your talking about?? Only items over 300 years old with 10% or more Silver or Gold content count excluding any single gold/silver coin. Bronze only count in association with treasure & need to be in found close together. Association means with another piece of treasure (the coin is not treasure) & from the same period in time not 1000 years later.

Thanks for your interest in English Law but I follow it to the letter being brought up in a Christrian household. Also if you would like to know I show my farmers 100% of what I find & they are entiled to half, which in one case was £1150.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread