Didnt find Squat

C

Cherokee1955

Did'nt find Squat

Did some Research on old Churches in My Area North of Atlanta. On saturday Drove to one of the most remote old churches established in 1894. My thoughts were I have found some virgin ground to search now boy was I wrong completly cleaned out nothing but foil cans and trash. Before I started Detecting I sat on the steps to change to my boots when this guy pulls up and says Do I Know You I guess by now you have quessed I didnt get permission before I arrived. After I introduced Myself and explained to him what I wanted to do he called one of the outher deacons of the church and got approval for me to search While we were Talking he explained that this was the third church and it was in a different spot than previous 2. he also informed me that There once was a complete town with a post office stores and many homes located in the immediate area around the church. But there was nothing left but foundations. The Gentlemans name was Raymond and he turned out to be a real nice fellow. He also told me if I would Call him after Deer season ended he would be glad to show me around the place I can hardly wait, oh yeah back to the detecting found no coins or jewelry in the church yard some one did areal good job cleaning it out. Cherokee

Upvote 0

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Re: Did'nt find Squat

Still sounds like an awesome site. If you're finding a lot of trash and easy to detect targets, do not give up on it. Means others did not clean out the site. Good job on getting the permission and making the cconnection. Show some good will by letting them know you've cleaned up a lot of trash there and you might get onto even better sites!

mavrick03

Sep 29, 2004
Stafford Va

dint be dissappointed when hunting season is over ask him to give you a tour and show you where the old sotres etc used to be and take it from there

Mav

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've been hunting old churches for many years and this really sounds typical....
But there have been occasions when I've done very well around old churches, but generally speaking
the older the church, and more gothic looking it is, the more likey you are to find nothing as these seem to be the first places hunted
20-30 years ago by those first detectors, and don't buy into the theiry of "new machine deeper depth" it has not seemed to
give me any more targets in a worked out place regardless how good my machine was... I'm sure you will do much better over the older church sites where the first churches stood..
good luck
Richard

tchaire

Oct 4, 2004

Torrero--

When you talk about detectors and extra depth, keep in mind that there has to be a "target" to hit. Meaning many sites out there won't have any/many targets below a certain level because they're just not that old. (Not to say it can't happen.) For example, a 100 year old park in my area (Minnesota/ND)...you won't/or very rarely find anything below 7 inches.
Once again...not so much the detector's fault in this situation, just not much there.

T. Haire

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi Cherokee1955,sounds to me like the church has already been hunted.If I were you,I would keep in contact with Raymond.Get with him after deer season and find out where the 1st original church stood,also the other buildings-post office,gen. store,etc..You may have a prime area/s to hunt.See if you can find out any other info. off of him,does he have any knowledge of anyone detecting this area/s in the past?Invite him over for dinner and a drink,you never know what info. he might have,without even knowing he has it!I, personally try to become friendly with anyone that might have access to,or know of prime historical sites.Old timers remember all kinds of useful acquired facts, that are sometimes key to our search/es.Good Luck! ;)and H.H.!

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What I was refering to is the fact that many companies advertise the fact that

"If you buy our machine then you get all that stuff that everone else has missed at those depths the other machines can't reach"

The reality is that in Old places like this church, there probably is not anything deeper that has been
left behind to find. I'm in agreement with you about the depth issue,
but also in my experiance (some exceptions apply) ?that when you are in an old place ?(a church or home that has been in the same spot for 200 yrs) ?most of the targets are not more than 8' to 10' inches in depth and well within reach of all modern machines of any ?caliber. So if you are not finding anything..... then maybe there is nothing left to find....

The truth be known, If I find a church yard that is producing coins and I have permission or
have not been run off....
I stay and hunt until I don't get anymore signals, simply because I know that someone else like
myself will come along and take what I don't.

Although you can never know what you might or might not miss in a yard when doing a quick
cursery look with a machine, be assured that if you hunt in a Churchyard for more than
half an hour without get so much as a wheat cent, you can pretty much deduce that there is not
much left....

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I wouldnt give up on that site. The trash is good as it may be masking signals from coins that the boners that got there before you missed. Dig the junk and maybe find some goodies and do a good deed by cleaning the place up all while getting the skinny on the old town foundations that dude told you about. Sounds sweet. Good luck. 8)

C

czman

Keep looking cherokee you will come up with something. Hey you found a friend there.

chuckered

Sep 18, 2004
bremerton washington

Just because a building on a site might not be real old you never know what was on the ground around it. Who knows might of been rich mans house that burnt down an after he died left property to the church. Might of been old fence with fence post banks buried. So good luck hope you find something good, don't make the mistake an older man was going to show where some old tavern and cat houses were, and before i got back to him in the winter time he go sick and died, but told me he had only taken one person there the guy hunted one hour because of all the blackberries and gave up not before find assorted coins and $20 gold piece, if I knew where these places were I would be camped there with machete and weedeater I i would clear me about 5 acres lol to make sure there wasn't anything left.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread