Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digging gold mines in the backyard 1950's Crazy or What lol

Hi all, i have seen some crazy and strangle ways of mining for gold but this old photo from the 1950's of a family digging gold mine in the backyard ;D ;D ;D Shame my wife won,t let me dig one as there is a filled in shaft on the footpath out the front. Glad this week is over. My job sucks .Any way i went to an old puddling gold machine and added one small piece for this month finds. What think i can find gold all the time . Sure wish but its always a few bits a time. odd couple of pieces over a gram each month. The latest reprint came with this weeks "weekly times" Cool a picture of gold miner from the 1920's and FREE :blob7: Managed a "road kill" no i mean a kangaroo penny 1952,You have know idea what roos do to cars when they get in the way. Right OFF thats the car ,seen a few roos get up and bounce off after as if nothing has happened. The last find for the week is sad bent silver spoon .Heres pics of a Horse drawn pudding machine 1880, back yard gold mine 1950, My gold finds with a gpx placed in a goldpan to match the rest of the thread. lol

tinpan

Attachments

• 100_1584.jpg
    100_1584.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 927
  • 100_1585.jpg
    100_1585.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 896
  • 100_1586.jpg
    100_1586.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 944
  • 100_1587.jpg
    100_1587.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 983
  • 100_1590.jpg
    100_1590.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 1,043
  • 100_1591.jpg
    100_1591.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 979
  • digg17ml.jpg
    digg17ml.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,001
Upvote 0
OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Digging gold mines in the backyard 1950's Crazy or What lol

horse drawn puddlind machine

Attachments

• digg10ml.jpg
    digg10ml.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 1,302

kevkirki

Jul 16, 2011
denver, colorado
Detector(s) used
M6/coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

and just think ....no mowing ....come on hunny :laughing7: ....thats a funny picture and very cool coin :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kevkirki said:
and just think ....no mowing ....come on hunny :laughing7: ....thats a funny picture and very cool coin :icon_thumleft:

Hi kevkirki , i think in some areas around here they only grew grass in pots and cut with scissors

tinpan 135 years ago

Attachments

• mines11.jpg
    mines11.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 1,359

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Theres Gold under them there homes!!! WTG tinpan

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

I got a real good idea what roos can do to cars, we get people hitting deer which are pretty close in size.
the deer population has exploded here in ohio, we got a herd of 9 that use our backyard as a highway.
we had a guy hit a deer and throw it into the back of his station wagon. the deer was only stunned and damn near killed him as it tore his interior to pieces. had one go through a sliding glass door in town and bled all over the place before leaving by the same door. they are taking to the cities and munching on lawns and trees right downtown.

tell the wife you'll cut her in for half of everything you find, maybe that will change her mind on digging up the yard. she'd get half in the divorce anyway so its worth a try. have a good one tinpan and thanks for sharing.

bclark

Jun 27, 2007
Daytona Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Whites Bullseye II
Equinox 800/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It makes me think of a friend of mine who loaned his metal detector to his brother in law and his brother in law was soon addicted and brought in a bull dozer remove the topsoil in his front and back yard. It then rained for a few days and the mud was everywhere from what I heard and he only found some roofing nails and some clad along with a couple of hot wheel cars.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bclark said:
It makes me think of a friend of mine who loaned his metal detector to his brother in law and his brother in law was soon addicted and brought in a bull dozer remove the topsoil in his front and back yard. It then rained for a few days and the mud was everywhere from what I heard and he only found some roofing nails and some clad along with a couple of hot wheel cars.

Yeah, but I bet he had fun doing it!

mikeothmer

May 3, 2009

It makes me think of a friend of mine who loaned his metal detector to his brother in law and his brother in law was soon addicted and brought in a bull dozer remove the topsoil in his front and back yard. It then rained for a few days and the mud was everywhere from what I heard and he only found some roofing nails and some clad along with a couple of hot wheel cars. Yeah but it sure made cuttin the grass a lot easier!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looks to me like you have an Irish 'single-drop' Hanoverian Spoon :o
These are mid to late 18th C, so must have been a treasured heirloom brought over by a miner?
I can't see this very well, but they normally have 3 hand incised letters, 1 over 2. Yours only has two, which implies the once owner was not married.
Is there a hallmark to back, any of this up?

Its a great Georgian find, in Aussieland, is it not :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
These are mid to late 18th C, so must have been a treasured heirloom brought over by a miner?
I can't see this very well, but they normally have 3 hand incised letters, 1 over 2. Yours only has two, which implies the once owner was not married.

hi crusader Length 140 mm weights 9.5 grams Only visable hallmark is free standing Lion ,front feet set apart and swaying tail, other hall marks worn off . Incised letters T [bit larger] than D [2 letters only]

tinpan

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tinpan said:
CRUSADER said:

hi crusader Length 140 mm weights 9.5 grams Only visable hallmark is free standing Lion ,front feet set apart and swaying tail, other hall marks worn off . Incised letters T [bit larger] than D [2 letters only]

tinpan

Sometimes (I have a couple), they did not do 'full' hallmarks. Clearly the Lion is Sterling Silver mark (being so large, it points to an early date), but the maker probably dodged the 'taxes' from the lack of assayers marks. I would date it around 1790 but could be a little earlier or as late as 1810.
Normally the family surname is above the two letters & the left letter (T) is the Husbands first name & the wife is (D).
I'm unsure whether this means they were not married or something different.

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
tinpan said:
CRUSADER said:

tinpan

Sometimes (I have a couple), they did not do 'full' hallmarks. Clearly the Lion is Sterling Silver mark (being so large, it points to an early date), but the maker probably dodged the 'taxes' from the lack of assayers marks. I would date it around 1790 but could be a little earlier or as late as 1810.
Normally the family surname is above the two letters & the left letter (T) is the Husbands first name & the wife is (D).
I'm unsure whether this means they were not married or something different.

Thanks Correct the lion is quite large and there is only a faint rebate where the rest of the assayers marks where. Found near the area know as Irish Town . Nearest church "St Killians" . Catholic Irish were almost at the bottom of the mining social scale . Very poor and often involved in sort of trouble. catholic and protestant divide was quite active. Spoon was stolen

tinpan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread