LEAD CLOTH/BALE SEAL

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello guys. I went to back to the spot where I found my Brown Bess Butt plate in search of the rest of the gun. I dug various bits of lead and a possible piece of the gun. Still have to Id it. Well in the meantime I was digging in the woods and my F75 rang out a good solid high middle 60's tone that didn't waiver. It was around 8 inches down on the meter. I dug my plug and it was still in the hole. I picked it up and saw that it was a round Lead item with some writing on it. Didn't think much about it and stuck it in my pouch and kept digging. After digging I removed the item from my pouch. Well as the dirt dried I started to see details that were very interesting. I could clearly see a number at the bottom that was a 20. On the back I could see a design. Didn't know what it was until I arrived at home and cleaned it off. Here are the pictures of the Lead seal cleaned.
IMG_3422.jpg

IMG_3421.jpg

YOU GUYS ACROSS THE POND FEEL FREE TO CHIME IN>

On the back of the seal I can possibly make out a B surrounded by a circle, To the left and Below the B I see a G...The Arabic number 20 located on the reverse of a lead seal refers to the length of fabric measured in Dutch els. This find is VERY VERY Old. I'm not going to speculate until I get a positive ID on the Seal. If it is from the 1600's or 1700's I may have found a very significant find. I was hunting in between 2 homes built in the 1700's.. I am very excited to have this seal and for it to be in such great shape. Here is a website that tells about Lead Cloth Seals.

http://www.colchestertreasurehunting.co.uk/baleseals.htm

THanks for looking everyone. zaxfire69

Upvote 0
OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: LEAD CLOTH SEAL..in Mississippi!

ALSO...This is a research in progress. So don't blast me if this isn't a Cloth seal. IT could be a variety of seals, but for right now it resembles cloth the most.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely a cloth bale seal and definitely very old. Nice find!

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Romeo it is really hard to find information about these seals. I have found pictures of them, just none that resemble mine. I don't think this will be one with a picture on the web to look at. I would love to find a picture of one, but I just don't think I will be able to.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
zaxfire69 said:
Romeo it is really hard to find information about these seals. I have found pictures of them, just none that resemble mine. I don't think this will be one with a picture on the web to look at. I would love to find a picture of one, but I just don't think I will be able to.

Not surprising...there are literally thousands of different seals. Unless it's from a well know manufacturer it's unlikely you will find a match.

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Romeo I will post pictures and keep on trying to search and find out all there is to find out about this seal. Would you say 1700's on this seal?

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. I had no idea what this thing was until I started researching the internet. I can't believe it survived for this many years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions