cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was walking inside a natural spring fed creek and was detecting in the water, for about 2 hours, got fed up with the length it took to dig out basically junk, so I decided I had enough and was going to head for dry ground. Turned my detector to start walking up the hill and I heard a beautiful tone, and dug two inches and found this beauty.

Like an idiot I did a light cleaning on it with an eraser, so may have devalued it, but I don't do this to sell the items I find; I do it for bragging rights!

First silver coin (90% anyway) that I ever found!

Just thought I would share it on here.

Attachments

• TEXAS FINDS-10.jpg
    TEXAS FINDS-10.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 874
  • TEXAS FINDS-11.jpg
    TEXAS FINDS-11.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 878
  • TEXAS FINDS-10.jpg
    TEXAS FINDS-10.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 860
Upvote 0

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cdsieg, that is one sweet coin. Yea don't ever clean them, other than with running water

just to get the mud off. Those are rare to find, I only have one after 12 years of hunting.

Congrats on a fantastic find.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...what a superb find! I'm jealous!

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Great find! And your first silver coin??? Nice start!

I don't have hang ups about cleaning my finds, contrary to what people say( Unless it is a rare coin that is.). If it is a dug coin, its value is greatly diminished to begin with. I would rather have a coin that looks better in my collection. Furthermore, I do not think running a silver coin under tap water is ever a good idea and i have seen black marks appear due to the minerals in the tap water. Use distilled!

The coin below is the before and after picture of a coin that I originally just dipped in distilled water, and then I very gently rubbed it with a polishing cloth. I don't think I hurt the value at all, and it greatly increased the visual appeal.

002.JPG 005a.JPG

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 1,037
OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deno said:
cdsieg, that is one sweet coin. Yea don't ever clean them, other than with running water

just to get the mud off. Those are rare to find, I only have one after 12 years of hunting.

Congrats on a fantastic find.
Thank You, it is nice to know that it is a rare one to dig, with all the hours I have put into digging, it makes me feel a little better! I just do not dig, gold and silver like some people do.
I appreciate your feedback on the cleaning. The eagle side was almost as clear as it is in my photos as it was when it came out of the ground, the liberty side on the other hand was not as clean. I knew not to rub it off and I knew not to touch it much and I had read once about using a soft pink eraser to remove the surface dirt was okay, but I think the jury is still out on that one! Thanks again, Cindy

OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
matt092079 said:
Wow...what a superb find! I'm jealous!
Yay... someone is jealous of one of my finds! I have only waited two years to hear that! LOL. Thanks :headbang:

OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil in West Jersey said:
Great find! And your first silver coin??? Nice start!

I don't have hang ups about cleaning my finds, contrary to what people say( Unless it is a rare coin that is.). If it is a dug coin, its value is greatly diminished to begin with. I would rather have a coin that looks better in my collection. Furthermore, I do not think running a silver coin under tap water is ever a good idea and i have seen black marks appear due to the minerals in the tap water. Use distilled!

The coin below is the before and after picture of a coin that I originally just dipped in distilled water, and then I very gently rubbed it with a polishing cloth. I don't think I hurt the value at all, and it greatly increased the visual appeal.

Thanks Neil,
I appreciate your feedback, I keep or donate what I find to the land owners or local museums, I keep all money I find and give away most the rest, so when it comes to appearance, you are right is is just for my eyes.
In preservation of history I need to be careful, I don't want to do stupid things that I will regret later in life either!

Your coin is a really nice find as well, thank you for sharing. Cindy

JW15

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 w/DD coil Backup- 505,305.
Awesome find, congrats! :thumbsup:

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
wow! never seen one of those before! great find! :icon_thumright:

ossi

Nov 3, 2011
Pannonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO INTERNATIONAL (Nel hunter)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet Seated :icon_thumright:

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
That's a nice one!! I found one in 2008. I see you are from WI. , so am I and hopefully will be returning there to live in about 41/2 years.

phpaE7qgMPM.jpg

Attachments

• phpP5st1nPM.jpg
    phpP5st1nPM.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 541
  • phpaE7qgMPM.jpg
    phpaE7qgMPM.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 487
  • phpP5st1nPM.jpg
    phpP5st1nPM.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 546

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Boo-yah! Nicely done!!

All the best,

Lanny

Jersey Hunter

Dec 27, 2011
Barnegat, NJ
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE and G2, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche digger and Relic Hunter Shovel.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Can't believe its your first silver, what a great find. Congrats. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions