alanford1958

Feb 17, 2012
Mountain Top, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK Now all you Seasoned searchers I'm sure you will enjoy my first find

Well I spent this beautiful day using(or trying too) my new AT PRO. I only dug 4 holes and was covered in mud from head to toe. I guess I've got to get a shovel this little gator digger, was a pain in the ah my whole body's killing me . Anyway here's my first and i guess since its my first find my biggest .. Are you ready... a penny and a metal washer... ok ok when ur done laughing oh heck i'm still laughing.

Attachments

• big first find.JPG
    big first find.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,259
Upvote 0

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: OK Now all you Seasoned searchers I'm sure you will enjoy my first find

Well you have to start some where , I sure hope the penny was a good one :hello: your going to like that AT Pro.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Just means your detector is working! Pretty much every detector I have used so far loves washers and rings of any sort!

OP
OP
alanford1958

alanford1958

Feb 17, 2012
Mountain Top, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yep I am excited.............

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:laughing7: that took guts to post a washer and keep the first penny may it be the first of many more finds for you . Welcome to the hunt !

8) CMDdawg

Chuck In Oregon

Jun 16, 2004
Cottage Grove, Oregon
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, CZ-20, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I doubt that anyone here is going to laugh at you. If you don't get muddy sometimes, you're not detecting. I live in Oregon and it's always a little wet and muddy here. I've only recently returned to the hobby and I haven't found anything particularly interesting or worth posting since I came back. Oh well. It's not like I haven't dug a ton of washers myself. Are you using good knee pads? They are a big help. So is using gloves, but I admit to not doing that. Just stay with it and keep asking people if it's OK to detect their field, yard, church, Grange or whatever. You'll be into the good finds before you know it. This hobby makes you learn your neighborhood and neighbors a lot better. Well, at least the ones who aren't laughing at you.

Chuck

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

The AT pro is a good detector, and its waterproof. Keep it up, you will find better.

K Zack

Feb 2, 2012
West Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab- Explorer XS, Excalibur 800, Sovereign XS-2 Pro, Fisher 1280X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nice Finds Alan, you did not get rich. Any day spent chasing the coil is one less day on the couch.
I use a sharp shooter with a short handle to dig with, cuts a nice plug and makes a good walking stick.
Yards it is back to my knees, kills my back.
You will have better days.
Good Luck
Kevin

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other

We call those "round to its" looks like the penny will fit perfectly in da hole........NGE

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

you found money the 'first time" out -- now on to bigger and better finds . :hello2: :headbang:

I recently helped my nephew find a civil war era "horse mane and tail curry comb" ( it was lead or pewter based body with copper teeth) from under the tree roots of a oak tree at a old civil war union artillery camp in jacksonville , florida -- it was "quality bonding time" for sure :thumbsup:

research and thinking about what was there in the past can help in finding the "good stuff' --often its not whats there now but rather what was there "before' / long ago that makes a place very worth while to hunt. :wink: --reading up on the areas "local history" :read2: and talking with old long time residents often will pay off with leads on whetre to go and what to look for

--since silver coins dried up in 1964 -its important to know if a park was in existance in 1964 before tryiong to hit it in hopes of finding "silver'--even if it existed during that time frame --it might have been hit by earlier hunters --so you might have to look in the less common areas , where earlier detectorist might not have looked . --good luck --ivan

by the way what year is the cent ?is it a wheatie? ( by the way -- a history note * england has "penny' / pence) once america broke away from england we went to "cents" to break from them fiscally --the english 'pound' was 240 pence ( multiple of penny)-- the US dollar was 100 "cents" --but because the british colonies of america were used to calling copper coin a "penny'--they still called the new 'cent' coins --penny --( oddly only we americans called more than one "pennies" --the british use "pence" )

jibb

Feb 9, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I just wanted to say as far as the shovel tool. I know the one most use is that 40$ klesche and they say its the best and probably is but,, lowes has a tool very similar to it for 10$. Its VERY GOOD if you don't want or cant spend the 40$. I love mine!

Thunderchild

Sep 24, 2011
N. Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75LTD/ AT Pro / Whites TDI SL / Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Keep at it. You've got a good machine in the AT PRO. Do plenty of reading on these type of forums, lots of friendly, helpful people on them. Glenn

L

lost hunter

:icon_thumright:

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

if you are looking for quality, longer detecting tools....look no further: http://predatortools.com/

these are probably the best in the business and will pretty much cut through everything and last forever. they are a bit on the expensive side, but you get what you pay for.

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Its a start you will be very good with it in no time

JOE-DIRTDIGGER

Jan 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
GARRETT ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I HAVE JUST RECENTLY STARTED MYSELF, STARTED OUT ABOUT THE SAME WAY, BUT LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT, LAST 2 HUNTS WHICH IM STILL UNDER 10 HUNTS 5 WHEATS AND MY PRIDE AND JOY FOR NOW AN 1888 INDIAN HEAD, GOOD LUCK

LLanos

Feb 13, 2012
Texas Panhandle
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Compass Liberty 100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hey, just getting out in the fresh air, getting exercise is the benefit! Finding coins is just icing on the cake.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

ivan salis said:
you found money the 'first time" out -- now on to bigger and better finds . :hello2: :headbang:

research and thinking about what was there in the past can help in finding the "good stuff' --often its not whats there now but rather what was there "before' / long ago that makes a place very worth while to hunt. :wink: --reading up on the areas "local history" :read2: and talking with old long time residents often will pay off with leads on whetre to go and what to look for

--since silver coins dried up in 1964 -its important to know if a park was in existance in 1964 before tryiong to hit it in hopes of finding "silver'--even if it existed during that time frame --it might have been hit by earlier hunters --so you might have to look in the less common areas , where earlier detectorist might not have looked . --good luck --ivan

This is really good advice Bill! :thumbsup: Ivan really hit the nail on the head when it comes to taking the time to do some local research, this is what will pay off for you if you're looking for relics and old coins. More importantly take the time to get to know what your AT Pro is telling you.

I found these training videos on the Garrett website extremely helpful in learning my At Pro! ;D

http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_at_pro_videos.aspx

Best of luck to you Alan,
Dave

relicminer

Dec 31, 2010
Pike County Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro-pointer, Lecshe Digging Tool, Predator Mauler T-Handle
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I've seen days that penny would have been a Godsend!!!! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread