SearchNSoCal

Greenie
Feb 19, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
250 Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a pic...I enhanced it to bring out details.

9da6709d-1.jpg

jibb

Feb 9, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! What is aj tower?

OP
OP
SearchNSoCal

SearchNSoCal

Greenie
Feb 19, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
250 Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jibb said:
Congrats! What is aj tower?
I found this on another forum during my search it had a pic that matched my find. If anyone has anything to add, I'd be way appreciative.

"I did a Google-search for "A.J. Tower Co." ...and found several sites which date that company to doing business in Boston between 1904 and the 1930s (and perhaps later). The A.J. Tower Co. was a maker of coats, particularly of heavy raincoats/rainslickers, such as the US Navy used ...but it did not manufacture the metal buttons for those coats.

Backmarks that are written in "incised" (not raised) marking showing "plain" block letters (the shape of the letters on a Lincoln penny's front) are almost always from the early 20th-century or later, though a few are from the 1880s/90s."

And...

"I have 2 A.J. Tower Co. slickers: one is a 51 Pommel slicker and the other is a Y121 Reflex slicker (they both have the exact button you have pictured). My research has the company in business from the 1870's to at least 1946, when the company was involoved in a Supreme Court case. It is the maker of the old "Fish Brand " slicker the Texas cow boys had with them on the cattle drives. There are several reenactors supply websites that carry a fairly accurate reproduction of these slickers. If I can figure out how to attach photos, I can send some pictures of the slickers. Hope this helps.
"

And...

creskol said:
That is an A.J. Tower button

Attachments

• ajtowerbutton.jpg
    ajtowerbutton.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 1,465

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
slicker with these buttons

Attachments

• tower slicker.jpg
    tower slicker.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 3,581
  • tower slicker collar.jpg
    tower slicker collar.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 4,528
OP
OP
SearchNSoCal

SearchNSoCal

Greenie
Feb 19, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
250 Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bigcypresshunter said:
slicker with these buttons

That's the slicker! Nice. :icon_thumright: I wish I could accurately date this button it would make a great story for my silly friends at work. :tongue3: :coffee2:

JOE-DIRTDIGGER

Jan 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
GARRETT ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE HISTORY OF THE MANUFACTURE
GOOD FIND

OP
OP
SearchNSoCal

SearchNSoCal

Greenie
Feb 19, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
250 Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OUTLAW75 said:
GOOD FIND

Thanks Lost Hunter and Outlaw, I contacted a button society and they said they'll see what they can dig up...pun intended. I'll keep everyone posted so if anyone else finds one they will have an abundance of info. :icon_thumleft:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SearchNSoCal said:
OUTLAW75 said:
GOOD FIND

Thanks Lost Hunter and Outlaw, I contacted a button society and they said they'll see what they can dig up...pun intended. I'll keep everyone posted so if anyone else finds one they will have an abundance of info. :icon_thumleft:

Have found bunches of em.I beleive they date a little earlier than your dates though :thumbsup:

OP
OP
SearchNSoCal

SearchNSoCal

Greenie
Feb 19, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
250 Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
kuger said:
SearchNSoCal said:
OUTLAW75 said:
GOOD FIND

Have found bunches of em.I beleive they date a little earlier than your dates though :thumbsup:
Really? That would be awesome, I hate to sound like a noob but I'm really excited about my find. ha! I was reading today that Wyatt Earp lived in San Diego during that period...I started day dreaming about how it could've easily come from someone who knew him or worked with him or even him! Haha, I know that's a stretch but the time period is right. To date this is my best find so forgive me if I get all nerdy. :)

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SearchNSoCal said:
kuger said:
SearchNSoCal said:
OUTLAW75 said:
GOOD FIND

Really? That would be awesome, I hate to sound like a noob but I'm really excited about my find. ha! I was reading today that Wyatt Earp lived in San Diego during that period...I started day dreaming about how it could've easily come from someone who knew him or worked with him or even him! Haha, I know that's a stretch but the time period is right. To date this is my best find so forgive me if I get all nerdy. :)

Nothing nerdy about it,its a passion for history,and a find to be proud of.I want to say,your numbers are right..I had it in my mind they were a bit older

OP
OP
SearchNSoCal

SearchNSoCal

Greenie
Feb 19, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
250 Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

CC Hunter

Aug 7, 2004
Timbuktu
Detector(s) used
Magnet on a Stick
The A.J. Tower / Wire Fastened buttons, will likely date from the 1880's period and later.

These are from water-proof overcoats made by the Abner J. Tower Company of Boston Massachusetts. :read2:

Attachments

• A.J. Tower.png
    A.J. Tower.png
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,030
  • A.J. Tower2.png
    A.J. Tower2.png
    73 KB · Views: 1,075

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the photo and the info. I too found one of these today (northeast Texas). I will post any info I can find.

cs70

Dec 18, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone... just found one of these in Northwest Florida and this thread was the reason I was able to ID it. Should I post a new thread with pics?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread