I knew there was 1 or 2 more French buttons hiding amongst the iron ............

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just got in and will post an update later with my cleaned finds. I was hoping I would find a couple more French Regimental buttons at my early homesite but the last few times I had hit this spot I had been unsuccessful at locating any more. Well today the first signal I got turned out to be another small regimental turrent shank button :headbang:. That makes 16 brass French regimental buttons that I have located at this spot!!! Things quieted down for a while and then I got into a pocket of musket balls and what I think is another 1773 Halpenny. A broken sling buckle and some miscellaneous brass followed. Just as I ws getting ready to leave I got an iffy signal but decided to dig it anyway. I'm sure glad I did! Down about 10 inches came out a pewter turrent shank button, the first I've found at this site. I am going to have to extra careful with this button because the pewter buttons crumble so easy when exposed to air. I have a feeling this button will have a regimental number on it as well! What a great day!!! I will also post my 2 buttons I found the other day that I thought were Confederate. Well they were, except not what I was expecting. I dug 2 flower buttons! So I guess I'm still at 3 Confederate buttons this year. My Rev War button count far exceeds my Civil War button count but I'm not complaining! HH Devonrex

Attachments

• IMG_0618.JPG
    IMG_0618.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 380
Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CC Hunter

Aug 7, 2004
Timbuktu
Detector(s) used
Magnet on a Stick
Look forward to seeing those awesome Rev War buttons! :icon_thumright:

Never seen a turret or birdcage shank on a pewter button before. :icon_scratch:

Take it slow and careful with that pewter, and please keep it wet until you're ready to seal any cracks. I've had great success with thinly diluted clear gel Elmer's glue on my pewters.

CC Hunter

OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The brass button turned out to be a 13 and the pewter button turned out to be a

104. Royal-Deux-Ponts from Germany. I'm treating the pewter button now and will post the 2 buttons sometime tomorrow. Devonrex

OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Close-up of buttons. This makes 6 regiments found at this site. (1 cuff 7, 1 cuff 10, 12 cuff 13's,1 cuff 17, 1 coat 64, and 1 cuff 104). A total of 17 French regimental Rev War buttons since Jan 13th of this year. Devonrex

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 540

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread