Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was up near Mt.Airy, N.C. over the weekend at some friends on the Dan River, just hanging out, watching movies. There were a lot of old farms and houses around but I figured it'd be too complicated to get permission on the spot, so I didn't mention it. Along about 1pm, one of the people we were visiting asked if I brought a metal detector with me. I said "two, actually" The wife of the friend informed me that they were related to all the farm people and they didn't mind if we detected some of the old homes and barns, etc. A lot of these are Civil War era houses. So we started walking and about a quarter of a mile into the walk we came up on an old tobacco barn. I gave one of the guys my Bounty Hunter and I kept the Ace 250. Stuff was beeping all over the place. I dug some, found some harness pieces and a couple of wheat pennies in just a few minutes. I thought I'd hit paydirt! Then the dude's wife, and the actual "family" of the farmers say's "I'm cold!" I said okay let's run on over to one of the old houses in the hollow, maybe the wind won't be so bad." We went to the house and I started getting a lot of penny, nickel and dime beeps all over the place, it was like shooting fish in a barrel. About the time I was kneeling down to dig my first target, the friend's wife spoke up again, "I'm cold, and I'm ready to go NOW!" Thus endeth what could have been a really wonderful afternoon of md'ing. I just didn't think it could get TOO COLD to metal detect.
I hope to get back up there next spring, it seems like it could be a dream spot. It has never been hunted at all, period. It's all that family that owns it, and they don't "take " to strangers. I hope they keep it that way, at least until after I get my chance at it.

HH,
Ramapirate

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless the ground was frozen solid, how could it be too cold to hunt? ;D I have lived and worked at 30 below just as I am sure a lot of members here have.

Shame your friend couldn't just said, go home honey, we are staying to hunt. At the worst, drove her home and returned.

Better luck next time. ;D

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Note to self: Carry a warm blanket along with my metal detector. Monty

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have hunted arrowheads in Missouri where I broke ice to search the creekbed underneath, just because I had the urge so strong to hunt.

I found one of my best points on New Years day on a bluff over looking a stream in Missouri, it was below 20F and windy when I found it. Wind chill there is real. Hunted many times when the snow was melting because it made the points shiny when the sun hit them.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jack, but no plans to move back there. Shoveled too many drive ways of ice and snow, and spent too many times going backwards down interstate because of the black ice. May visit, but never live there again.

Lots easier to shovel sunshine off my driveway then snow and ice. I have had to scrape frost off my car only 2 times since we returned to Florida. I have a closet full of leather jackets, sheepskin coats, leather trench coats and so on that I have very little use for now unless I travel. ;D

Hurricanes I can deal with, you get more then a weeks advance notice they are coming, usually 2. If I'm not prepared for a hurricanes its my own fault. Now tornados give you no warnings, and I took shelter from a lot more of them up north then any hurricane down here. ;D

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get cold pretty easy, I figure that if the stuff is their now, it will be their when the weather warms up. Brrrr, I dred winter. :'(

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Down here we have 3 months of "bad" weather. June, July, August, the rest of the year its great. When I lived up north we had 3 months of good weather, June, July, August, rest of the year you were either dreading winters return, or begging for summer to get here. Seasons were pretty, IF I had someone who would shovel all my snow, and I didn't have to go to work I could tolerate it.

Great to play in, sucks to work in. ;D

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's never too cold for me to hunt. When the ground here in RI freezes up, I just hit the beaches along the bay and hunt the wet sand, which never really freezes. Cold, no way!

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
guess some people just weren't meant for cold weather. I love it. Just have to put a few extra layers on. Better than sweating your arse off anyday!

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds to me like she thinks she runs running the show
since shes a woman and "what i say go's!!!"
next time leave her lame pampered lazy body at home
next time LIE and tell her you guys are doing something she WONT tag along and ruin
OR
she was using you to see if its worth someone else comming around to clean it out....one way or the other
i despise women like that >:(

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spent over 20 years in the north. Working outside at 25 below at times, had so many layers on I couldn't bend and still cold. LOL

Worked in Minnesota off and on several years, one year, no vacant hotel rooms open, I slept in my van the entire month of January while waiting for a room to open up in a house. Lived in Minot N. Dakota for over a year, moved there in January of 77 left in April 78, (2 winters) lived in central and western Nebraska for total of about 5 years, Iowa 2 years, Ill 2 years. Lived in Missouri many years as well.

Spent plenty of time freezing my arse off. :o I will take the beach ;D , bikinis, ;D ;D ;D and sunshine any day. ;)

Not putting the north down at all Jack, just got tired of scraping ice, shoveling snow, and freezing. ;)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, very aware Va is part of the South. Robert E. Lee was born in Stratford, Virginia, Capitol of CSA was Richmond. Some really pretty country up there. ;D Va was the heart of the Confederacy. ;D

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Looking forward to winter myself and the killing of the vegetation.

I hope the "Too Cold" wasn't signal for. Hey this guys getting loads of hits. Lets go and come back later ourselves. Joking...atleast I hope it was.

Hopefully my idea is fruitty and those signals are waiting for your next return.

Postalrevnant

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Oklahoma we have 4 seasons, hot, cold, wet and dry! The summers are in the hundreds but the winters always have days with temps in the 70s or 80s, even in the coldest months. I have been able to hunt early mornings in the summer and afternoons in the winter. Not many days when it is too cold or snowy to hunt. The ground doesn't freeze and it only snows a few inches 2 or 3 times a year and then melts off in two days. Perfect hunting weather but not that many really good places to hunt as on the coasts. I am starting to do research now on the land rushes and the early homesteads and maybe I can turn up some historical stuff worthwhile? Spring is tornado season but not much activity in the past couple of years and with the new weather technology you usually get a couple hours notice and if you have any sense can take cover. Monty

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Monty, here's an idea for ya maybe. I have found it to be useful. it's a list of slaves and slave owners, well this one is only in my area but I'm sure you can find one for yours. I has the slave, owner, county, and slave's job listed. Then you can track down whre the owner lived, and then find out if the house is still there and get permission, yadda yadda. Just a thought for a way to find good and old spots. here's the link to the one I found, maybe it'll help. HH! Oklahoma has a lot of history!

http://genealogytrails.com/vir/slaves.html

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Ramapirate that sounds like some great sites to hunt.

I'm with Dekalb on this one. I can't stand it when someone's disinterested wife tags along, wusses out because "it's cold", and makes everyone go home. It can't possibly be that cold in NC in October unless you're on the mountaintops, and it doesn't sound like you were.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread