Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I had recently secured permission to hunt the 100 acre field directly across the street from the site where I found the Corps of Engineers button not long ago. Did a 2 hour walk around the site looking for a hotspot but could not find a thing. Ended up back near the truck and found out my friend Ina had just dig a nice CW period coin which I'll let her post herself. I hunted in that area for a while without any success, but on the way back to the truck I was totally surprised when out popped a great looking state seal button. I really wasn't sure what it was but thought I'd seen a couple posted before. It wasn't until after I got home that I realized I had dug a Kentucky button - a first for me! Its Alberts KY-1, but the book doesn't list the Smith Crane & Co New York backmark. But I checked in Tice and found it there (KY200A5). After hunting a while longer with nothing to show for it we decided to run back across the street to hit the Corps button site for a bit. Ended up with a few more buttons and an IH. One was a 2-piece that had me a little excited but it turned out to be a civilian type button - bummer! I also dug this heavy brass item that I believe may be the lid to a lady's compact but I've never seen one this heavy. I can't even come close to bending it one little bit with my hands. Anyway, even though the quantity of finds was limited today we both came home very happy with the results.

Attachments

• 022312a.JPG
    022312a.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 651
  • 022312b.JPG
    022312b.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 639
  • 022312c.JPG
    022312c.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 616
  • 022312d.JPG
    022312d.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 797
  • 022312e.JPG
    022312e.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 941
  • 022312g.JPG
    022312g.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 878
  • 022312f.JPG
    022312f.JPG
    265.1 KB · Views: 916
Upvote 3

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Bill, you have been digging some great buttons lately! That Kentucky is KILLER!!

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
thrillathahunt said:
Good diggin! That large decorative item may be a pocket watch back. :thumbsup:

I had that thought too, but its too big for that in my opinion.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Thats a tough one to find Bill. Congrats on a great Kentucky Staff! Sounds like a successful day to me.
-Evan

gbpackrfan1990

Feb 2, 2012
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejan; Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am very happy for you (although a little jealous)! that Kentucky is a super tight button! Never found one of those. You need to go back there and hit that spot again. Happy Hunting!

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great button Bill, you don't see those popup in Virginia very often at all! Congratulations

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great finds!

All the best,

Lanny

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool button! Thanks for the post!

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome button Bill! Always wanted to get my coil over one. i did find a button back marked Superfin Paris but I guess it could have been a Kentucky or an Alabama. I will never know - but everytime I think about it I wonder. :dontknow: Devonrex

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great find for VA. They are not often found except in KY. I was lucky enough to dig a whole coat of KY buttons while I lived there, but other than those, which were scattered around a field by the plough, not a single other one came up.

Great finds!

:thumbsup:

-Buckles

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That thing is sweet, it's considered to be confederate, that makes it even sweeter.

I am not a button man, but I looked around on the net and I can't find your back mark.

They are right about these not coming up often.

I only know of one coming up in my area in the 12 years I have been hunting.

My buddy Weaver found it on a night hunt at an old mill site, it almost went in with the trash if it

hadn't been for Armstrong. Me and Weaver had already agreed it looked like something

out of a bottle top and Weaver was in the process of trashing it when Armstrong standing

about 5 feet away in the dark said hold on, good dang thing.

Anyway his is ate up, yours is all that.

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That KY should be a banner find. Staff button to boot! Very rare and yours is in excellent shape. Congrats on a great find!
Mike

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill, another great button :icon_thumright: In Tice's Dating Buttons book:

Smith, Crane & Company, New York, New York, 1861 and 1862; William Smith of New York City became a partner of William Crane in 1861.
Backmark:
*SMITH CRANE & CO.*/NEW - YORK

Don

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread