First copper of 2012 is a shocker.... ROSA AMERICANA!!!

adventureswithjim

Mar 12, 2010
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry no vid...things been stressful lately, I needed some "alone time" in the woods without all of youtube looking over my shoulder.

I didn't expect much of anything, didn't even really care, the sun was shinning and just a gorgeous day to dig...then out rolled this smallish thing. Too small for a George II half penny, more like the size of a US half cent...since the site had already given up a bunch of geo II's I knew this one was special, didn't clean it there, left it unknown til I got home and could do a more careful job.

I was expecting a half cent dropped by later farmers in the 1820's...but then I saw the rose.

Just not a coin I expected for sure.

1722 Rosa Americana Penny (well it matches the size given in the red book for the penny denomination), "1722" is barely visible then a star and the word "Rosa Am..."

I had to look it up, NOT a popular coin with the colonist, George I tried to pawn off these coins on the American and Irish colonies, but they were half the weight/size of regular brit issue...shop keepers refused to accept them, the coin died hard and fast.

So how exactly did this coin find it's way to Colonial South Carolina? Sadly, we'll never know, but a fun question to ponder. Anyone else find Rosa's dug in the US?

Any experts out there on cleaning old coppers? No peroxide treatments or electricity please. The book gives it's content as 75% copper 24.7% zinc and .3% silver. This coin appears to have a crust over actual details but I got a good feeling if you take off the crust, the details will go with it.

I know this coin is trashed and beyond help, but a truly exciting find!

Attachments

• rosa3.jpg
    rosa3.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,451
Upvote 0

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice oldie Jim!!!!!!! anything one the other side?? MR TUFF

OP
OP
adventureswithjim

adventureswithjim

Mar 12, 2010
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr Tuff said:
nice oldie Jim!!!!!!! anything one the other side?? MR TUFF

A lump. It's crusted bad, but such an odd metal alloy I'm reluctant to grind on this thing too hard (mindful of what happens to copper coated modern zinc pennies... So I'm just gonna put it away until I can get a professional opinion on what, if anything can be done.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Similar, at least, to ROSA AMERICANA. I can't verify or not. Weight? Diameter? Thickness?

Also, where did you find that composition? My copy of US Coin Digest states "Composition: COPPER." No mention of any other material.

OP
OP
adventureswithjim

adventureswithjim

Mar 12, 2010
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuberale said:
Similar, at least, to ROSA AMERICANA. I can't verify or not. Weight? Diameter? Thickness?

Also, where did you find that composition? My copy of US Coin Digest states "Composition: COPPER." No mention of any other material.

Since it says 1722 Rosa, I'm not really worried if you can verify it or not.

The info on composition comes from Red Book and PGCS coin guide web site. It's repeated many other places, likely just copied from one of those 2 sources. Pretty sure the comp. info is correct, this is not a solid copper, the color under the crust is greenish white and the ID WAY off for all copper. If those numbers are correct and with such a high zinc content then I just don't want to think about what peroxide would do to it.

JOE-DIRTDIGGER

Jan 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
GARRETT ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT FIND JIM, LOVE YOUR YOU TUBE VIDEOS, KEEP THEM COMING

OP
OP
adventureswithjim

adventureswithjim

Mar 12, 2010
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheGeorgiaCanuck said:
Olive oil soak for a few hours.

I clearly have the wrong kind of Olive oil...I tested a junk unreadable large cent and it turned solid black and never changed from that!

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, does KGI have a big schnoz.

TheGeorgiaCanuck

Oct 20, 2011
Surrey, BC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
adventureswithjim said:
TheGeorgiaCanuck said:

I clearly have the wrong kind of Olive oil...I tested a junk unreadable large cent and it turned solid black and never changed from that!

What kind of olive oil are you using? Quaker State 10w40? :laughing7:

OP
OP
adventureswithjim

adventureswithjim

Mar 12, 2010
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheGeorgiaCanuck said:
adventureswithjim said:
TheGeorgiaCanuck said:

What kind of olive oil are you using? Quaker State 10w40? :laughing7:

;D ;D ;D ;D

I probably woulda been better off with that...it could been a bad reaction to something else in the coin, I don't know, but things went from bad to worse on bronze, I'm unwilling to risk this jacked up alloy on the stuff I've got.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
known to some as the first clad coins
here is mine - because of the zinc - they come out this way
not a valuable rare coin - but rare none the less
I know tons of TH'ers - i only met one that found one and only seen a couple online
this is how mine came out - back looked worse than yours
I put it in electrolysis - bout the only way your gonna get it clean
and I believe yours will come out okay
if you dont have set up - check around - someone may do it for you
away from my puter with all my pics (surprised i found this one) - will find pic of after cleaned for you
BTW - nice find :thumbsup:

Attachments

• rosa amer.jpg
    rosa amer.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,572

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a shame about the condition of your copper,hope you can get that baby cleaned up.Nice Dig :icon_thumright:

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
nice find Jimbo! looks like theres some nice detail under the crust. If it were me i'd go with the the dry soft toothbrush method 1st, then onto a lil warm water,liquid soap and toothbrush gently.rinse often and keep an eye on it.
As you know it's tough with old coppers. It's either hit or miss.just comes with the territory :wink: good lucky buddy..hope she cleans up nice.crossin fingers here for ya :thumbsup:

Homerun04

Sep 8, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX
Congratulations! I have found (2) Rosa Americana's -- (1) is a two pence, (1) is a penny. There is a guy down in the VA or NC area who is collecting a database of all Rosa Americana's found on US soil. I'll have to scrounge up his contact info if you are interested.

They are compsoed of a composite metal, which some called "bath". It is a mixture of copper, tin, etc. That is why these coins are almost NEVER in good shape when they are found.

My Rosa penny is one of my most favorite finds, given the condition it is in.

Attachments

• 1722%20Rosa%20Americana%20Obverse.jpg
    1722%20Rosa%20Americana%20Obverse.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 1,222
  • 1722%20Rosa%20Americana%20Reverse.jpg
    1722%20Rosa%20Americana%20Reverse.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 1,245
  • 1722%20Rosa%20Americana%20Obverse.jpg
    1722%20Rosa%20Americana%20Obverse.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 1,253
  • 1722%20Rosa%20Americana%20Reverse.jpg
    1722%20Rosa%20Americana%20Reverse.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 1,251

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim, congrats on finding the Rosa Americana, not too many are found but have seen a few, I have a rather nice one but yet my son who found his a few miles away from mine has one in bad shape, so all depends on soil condition, especially since they are a mixed metal coin. (varies more than what red book says from what researchers have said)

A Colonial coin collector is conducting a survey on ground found Rosa's just like I am with the New Jersey coppers if you would be kind enough to email him (see attached photo of his request) I am sure he will tell you more about the coin if you give him the data requested.
[email protected]
Rosa Americana Survey.jpg

Thanks
Don

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
heres mine after electrolysis
I tried a few other ways - could not get that crust off
found mine in a 1600 settled town in Ma.
in a farm field
as a kid I looked thru the red book all the time
so when I pulled it out - I saw the back and even thru the crust
I yelled to my partner - "I think I got an Americana!"

Attachments

• DSC00157.JPG
    DSC00157.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 1,219
  • DSC00154.JPG
    DSC00154.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 1,237

CASPER-2