Dug My Oldest Coin in 20 Years Today--272 Years Old!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

My apologies to all for the late night post. Close to 20 hours of the last 48 have been spent detecting. But true to form, here's a great story and some fantastic finds. First off, something to listen to while you look at the post. ;D

I got up yesterday morning and met Shanegalanag and hit the cane fields.

1.jpg

We knew that the fountain of Spanish Silver coming from our Colonial site would not last forever, so we decided to track down another spot in the morning. So we hit an old plantation property we have permission for hoping to find some goodies. :thumbsup: We split up and walked the cane fields searching for the Big House and any other structures on that vast farm. Eventually we ran across the row of tenant houses. We were hoping that there might be some mid-to-late 1800s finds underneath the modern crappe, but after I dug the 4th wheat cent I was starting to feel sick to my stomach. :D Here's Shane with one of his wheats and a cheesy grin. Massive fields out behind him. We had rough gridded the fields for hours with little to show but farmer-dropped coins. You do that much wandering around, and you get happy just to find a site.

1A.jpg

After picking up a few marbles and digging some aluminum crappe I was ready to go and leave these for another day--or another decade. So we decided to spend our last two hours of daylight back at the Spanish Silver Field of Dreams. We got started and immediately were digging flat buttons. It was like coming home to a warm freshly baked pie. ;D

After digging a few buttons, I got a nice can slaw signal and opened up a hole. The silty mud in the bottom of the hole was dense, and I took out a nice chunk, separating it in half and in half again until I had a small clod in my hand. I broke it in half once more, and saw a tiny silver coin staring me in the face.

2.jpg

3.jpg

I knew immediately that it was another half real. :headbang: This is the SIXTH Spanish silver from the site. The plow had done its work on this one, bending it into a Colonial Taco. I put the coin in my pouch without investigating the date or type and kept swinging.

Feeling the confidence that only someone with a spanish silver in their pocket can feel, I left Shane to clean up the scraps and headed towards a spot in the field that I had eyeballed a pipe stem or two on a previous hunt. I started right in gridding, digging can slaw and pieces of old melted lead. After a couple flat buttons came up, I was feeling much better about my choice. Then in the bottom of a cane row I got a great signal. When I picked up the button, I couldn't believe it. A Second War of 1812 Artillery button! :hello2:

4.jpg

It's pretty beaten up by the fertilizer and the plow, but I'll take it gladly.

Darkness was falling, and after digging a few more targets we called it a day. When I got home, I investigated my finds, and to my surprise the half real was a pillars type rather than the usual bust type. I was thrilled to see the date of 1740, which makes this my oldest coin dug in 20 years of detecting. :hello2:

Somehow I managed to get to sleep after that rush, then met up with Shane again before dawn to drive to the site by first light. Bolstered by my success with the 1740 Half Real the day before, we headed back to the Field of Dreams. We dug a few more buttons, and I got a Jew's Harp. The field was starting to thin out a good bit, and we were having to work hard for each target. By noon we decided to take a lunch break.

During a fantastic Cajun Lunch, we discussed our plans, and decided to take a drive to another property and look for an early house. When we got out on that massive property, we drove a while, hoping to eyeball some brick, pottery, or oyster shells, then when that failed we got out in the field and started swinging. We rough-gridded some of the field, and found a site. After I eyeballed a large marble, and Shane dug an old brass skeleton key, we knew it was late 1800s. I dug a V nickel, and a Catholic medallion. (I was actually angry that the nickel was a nickel and not a flat button.) :laughing9: We piddled around for a while, then decided to spend the rest of our time back at the Field of Dreams again. :P

When we got out there, we decided to tightly grid a section that we had never done before. We picked up a few more flat buttons, more pipe stems, and some pottery shards.

We pause our regularly scheduled Canefield Bandits program to bring you a game called "Find the Colonial Clay Pipe Stem in the Sugar Cane Stubble." ;D

5.jpg

Let me give you a hint. Those little things are hard to see!

6.jpg

Now back to the story... On the next cane row I dug a nice octagonal plantation token. :icon_thumleft: Then I got a great hit that I was sure would be a copper. When I flipped the soil over, I saw the flash of silver and thought 8Reales--

7.jpg

--but it was a Walking Liberty Half. My last Walker was dug in the 90s (although I have dug Seated Halves since), but that big silver is always a welcome sight.

8.jpg

9.jpg

I took ten steps and got another great signal, and dug this:

10.jpg

An 1892 Barber Dime. Thank you, Farmers, for dropping some goodies for us to find. ;D Later on I dug a Buffalo Nickel in the middle of the field, and thanked the farmers again. I didn't mind digging some coins today of types that I haven't dug in years.

Here are my finds from the two days of detecting. Shane will either post his, or I'll add them to this post later on.

First off, I have to show you the Gaw Gag. Pack studs and pocketwatch parts (Gaw), Wheat pennies (Gag!), melted old lead, mardi gras doubloon 8), etc.:

11.jpg

MORE PHOTOS OF FINDS BELOW!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Non-metal finds. The large marble is from the newer site and the marbles in front are from the tenant houses the first day. Nice pottery shards and clay pipe stems.

A1.jpg

The octagonal plantation token. This is really a GREAT find from this area. :headbang: The name of the plantation is on the back (omitted to protect the names of the innocent). :whip2:

A2.jpg

The 1918 Walking Liberty:

B.jpg

The 1812 Artillery Button (no shank :'( ):

C.jpg

And the 1740 Half Real. 8)

D.jpg

Here is a group shot of everything except the glass. Heel plate piece, some sort of finial, Jew's Harp, V and Buffalo nickels, 1740 Half Real Taco, Walker Half, Barber Dime, and flat buttons. I know we'll hit it again soon.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Attachments

• E.jpg
    E.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,848

eagleforce

Mar 15, 2010
California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWSOME!... some great finds. Nice music to go along with it. Thanks for sharing. :headbang:

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This was a classic, well-written post, Buck. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and the pictures were top-notch. Gaw Gag! :laughing7: I had to say it. :laughing7: Congratulations on your oldest coin! It looks to be in decent condition. Killer 1812 buttons as well! :notworthy: :headbang:

The Cane Field Bandits will never disappoint. Colonial detecting along a Baayyyoooooooooooooouu! :notworthy:

Kirk

tomjiggy

Sep 18, 2010
ROFL!! You just can't get away from that field!! Great finds :headbang: I wish you more pieces of spanish silver, and please keep the posts coming

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulation's Buckle's :icon_thumright: Great story and awesome find's.....Love the Music!!

U

umrgolf

congrats on the oldie :headbang: the artillery button is a very nice find as well :icon_thumleft:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reale nice hunt :icon_thumright:

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Gotta love the Wheaties and a Jew's Harp.
Congrats to you Buck on the oldest coin ever for you.
You must have a put a good ole skunkin on Shane, I can't hear him this AM. :laughing9:
I told you things would swing your way at some point.
Great post and glad to see you finding places to hunt down there.

HB

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
You guys are the kings of Spanish silver. I have one of those taco reales. Congratulations on your oldest coin to date. The Spanish Silver Dynamic Duos will be the ones to watch this year. Stay tuned everybody for a grand show. :thumbsup:
Chris

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds Buck , you gonna straighten that taco ? Awesome button and love the silver !

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
what another awesome hunt! wow! :blob7:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I received your pm but I conked out last night before your post was up. i like getting your calls when you and Shane are hunting as I know one of you have found something REALE good. It was your turn this hunt. That's an old coin. The half was something to get excited about too. I hope to get some calls from you guys on Tuesday. Good luck next week. The Trio hunts tomorrow so keep your phone handy. HH, Q.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will, another great hunt and post, glad you got your oldest silver and anytime a big half dollar shows in the muck is a big grin event for sure. I think your find of the day is that plantation token, without a doubt an interesting piece of history........

Don

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions