Homestead finds

Bjorn_MD

Nov 19, 2003
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT
Spent time metal detecting in Pennsylvania over the weekend.

Had set a goal of finding a silver coin. But didn't meet my goal. I did make some other interesting finds though.

Secured permission to hunt a site of an old homestead that is being prepared for demolition. The owner said "Go ahead". The yard wasn't too trashy but full of downed tree branches... in fact probably half the ground in the yard was covered by huge branches. I had enough ground to search to start with and spent a few hours there.

I found 4 Wheat Cents: 1918, 1945, 1957, 1957D.
3 Nickels
2 quarters
5 dimes
16 memorial cents

An aluminum token size of nickel that has a harp on one side and says: "ASPEN-ROSEN- LIEDERKRANZ Uniontown PA."

Also found a Chinese Cash Coin at 2". Looked it up on the net to find it is a Ch'ien Lung Tung Pao coin from 1736-1795 minted in Peking (Boo-Ciowan).

My second only 1700's era coin.

I hope to hunt the place again this weekend, hopefully before the house is demolished.

Upvote 0

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
id rather have that cash coin......

HH
-GC

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Good job some nice finds in there. LoL I set my goal to sivler coin each day and each day come up short. Oh well will get another one soon I hope.

Congratulations,

Postalrevnant

OP
OP
Bjorn_MD

Bjorn_MD

Nov 19, 2003
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT
Thanks guys for the replies.

Found out more about the token. The Liederkranz seems to have been a musical/vocal club started by German-Americans. I believe this token was from a local chapter/club.

The original Liederkranz in NY even had Theodore Roosevelt as one of their members.

Can't wait to return.

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, congratulations on the 18th century cash coin. That is quite an unusual find, probably rarer than most silver coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread