CW campsite. Sabre Sword blade, Harmonica, merry widows piece. *Cleaned pics*

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an hour after work today and I went straight to the farm in Winchester, VA that has my trusty CW campsite on it. I start down this woodline at the edge of the plowed field and I'm not getting anything till I reach the end of the plowed field, which turns out to be a spencer bullet about 2 feet a way I find the bottom of casing.

After that I decided to take a hike in the woods which I never do because I never find anything CW related. First 30 minutes I'm in there turns out to be the same as usual. Nothing CW related at all. Finally I come across a signal and I dig it, turns out to be a spencer casing. I get a little excited then...I feel I may be on to something. I stop and slow down and search the area good and about 3 steps away I found this Merry Widows piece. Not sure what that is off of...I've seen people find Merry Widows stuff, but can't remember what they were.

Anyway I keep walking along this area not finding anything and as I'm dodging low limbs and fighting through thorns I work my way up to the fence line and I notice this old rock and a couple bricks underneath these low hanging branches. I started detecting around these pieces and I get a signal right away. I'm moving these leaves over with my shovel and I hear something metal and I reach down and pick it up and to my disbelief...I think I just found a sword blade!!!??! :o My heart starts racing and only thing I can think to do is to take my shovel and break these low hanging branches and clear a small area out around these rocks. Well, right next to those rocks was a harmonica almost fully intact. I couldn't believe it! I didn't find anything else in this little area...it's so hard, because of the dead trees and limbs all over the ground.

Found the bottle right up next to the fence in the same area. Now I'm not claiming what I found IS indeed a sword blade, but it certainly looks like one and I'm almost certain a soldier was in this area with his harmonica and sword over 100 years ago and I just think that's really cool.

Someone may come in here and burst my bubble and tell me what I found isn't a sword blade, but that's ok. It's still a neat find and certainly wouldn't shock me if it is considering where I was hunting. Anyway, pictures below and thanks for looking and feel free to try and I.D it and tell me what I do have. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 2-28-12-sw.jpg
    2-28-12-sw.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 787
  • 2-28-12-harm.jpg
    2-28-12-harm.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 803
  • 2-28-12-harm2.jpg
    2-28-12-harm2.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 871
  • 2-28-12-mw.jpg
    2-28-12-mw.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 920
  • 2-28-12-bottle.jpg
    2-28-12-bottle.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 973
  • 2-28-12-finds.jpg
    2-28-12-finds.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 1,019
  • sword-cleaned.jpg
    sword-cleaned.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 424
  • sword-2.jpg
    sword-2.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 538
  • merrywidows.jpg
    merrywidows.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 536
  • bottle.jpg
    bottle.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 601
  • harmonica2.jpg
    harmonica2.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 540
  • harmonica3.jpg
    harmonica3.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 544
Upvote 0

deepsecrets

Jan 10, 2009
Shenandoah Valley Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: CW campsite. Sword blade????!? Harmonica, bottle, merry widows piece, relics.

Very kool fer sure Matt! :headbang: Nice find - the other half of that sword must be around there too. What would a soldier do with a broken sword - toss it or would it be taken for repair? Maybe the CW experts here on TNet have an opinion??

OP
OP
matt092079

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: CW campsite. Sword blade????!? Harmonica, bottle, merry widows piece, relics.

BuckleBoy said:
Great finds! You also dug a sabre belt rig piece (the rivet looking thing). Did that by chance come up near where the sword was dug? Dig you check around for more of the sword?

-Buck

I found the sabre belt rig prob 150 feet from where I found the sword blade the day before. Yeah, I did check around for the rest of the sword. Like I said I got frantic and started to clear the area a little. That's when I found the harmonica but I was running out of daylight and also just so much brush on the ground. Need more time to go back and clear that area and work it slow.

OP
OP
matt092079

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

deepsecrets said:
Very kool fer sure Matt! :headbang: Nice find - the other half of that sword must be around there too. What would a soldier do with a broken sword - toss it or would it be taken for repair? Maybe the CW experts here on TNet have an opinion??

I'm wondering the same thing. Who knows if it was broken then or later by a farmer or a hunter. Can't wait to go back and search for it.

OP
OP
matt092079

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bev said:
That Deere make up compact in the other post reminded me of a Merry Widows item for a moment! I think I'll laugh my butt off when I eventually dig one of those! Thank you for showing us!

For a split second I was kinda grossed out, but it's actually pretty damn cool! lol

diggervet

Dec 3, 2006
Mechanicsville, Va.
Detector(s) used
Deus XP/Nautilus 2B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

definitely a sword blade! congratulations!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Super find Matt!! I thought 2 or 3 times I had found one but they always turned out to be an ag. part but yours looks like the real thing for sure. Hunt the recovery area carefully and good luck, Quindy.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Sword Blade is way cool.

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Great finds. Looks like you have a great spot....... Definitely looks like a sword to me.

kevkirki

Jul 16, 2011
denver, colorado
Detector(s) used
M6/coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

that is bada$$....very cool!!

coinstar

Apr 8, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

COOL DIGS

hdmech71

Jan 25, 2012
wv
Detector(s) used
F75 se / Minelab Soveriogn / sunray probe/ whites classic Id/ pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

You are on fire. Nice peices. :thumbsup:

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoW! I can imagine how you must have felt. I would have started clearing brush frantically too! Other part of that sword may have gotten tossed or tumbled down the hillside? Hope you find it, that would be beyond cool! HH and Good luck

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a slight chance the rest of the sword was resharpened made into a "short sword"

OP
OP
matt092079

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trust me...I wish I knew the story behind it!

OP
OP
matt092079

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
silversweeper said:
WoW! I can imagine how you must have felt. I would have started clearing brush frantically too! Other part of that sword may have gotten tossed or tumbled down the hillside? Hope you find it, that would be beyond cool! HH and Good luck

Possibly. The woods in this section aren't that easy to detect. There's creeping vines, thorns, tons of down limbs and such. It's hard to swing the coil in there. There's small stream beds that leads to a main creek that I have been up and down before and have had no luck at all. I just need to take a day where I can clear the area of the brush and get in there and detect it nice and slow. Thanks for looking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions