CW campsite. Sabre Sword blade, Harmonica, merry widows piece. *Cleaned pics*

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an hour after work today and I went straight to the farm in Winchester, VA that has my trusty CW campsite on it. I start down this woodline at the edge of the plowed field and I'm not getting anything till I reach the end of the plowed field, which turns out to be a spencer bullet about 2 feet a way I find the bottom of casing.

After that I decided to take a hike in the woods which I never do because I never find anything CW related. First 30 minutes I'm in there turns out to be the same as usual. Nothing CW related at all. Finally I come across a signal and I dig it, turns out to be a spencer casing. I get a little excited then...I feel I may be on to something. I stop and slow down and search the area good and about 3 steps away I found this Merry Widows piece. Not sure what that is off of...I've seen people find Merry Widows stuff, but can't remember what they were.

Anyway I keep walking along this area not finding anything and as I'm dodging low limbs and fighting through thorns I work my way up to the fence line and I notice this old rock and a couple bricks underneath these low hanging branches. I started detecting around these pieces and I get a signal right away. I'm moving these leaves over with my shovel and I hear something metal and I reach down and pick it up and to my disbelief...I think I just found a sword blade!!!??! :o My heart starts racing and only thing I can think to do is to take my shovel and break these low hanging branches and clear a small area out around these rocks. Well, right next to those rocks was a harmonica almost fully intact. I couldn't believe it! I didn't find anything else in this little area...it's so hard, because of the dead trees and limbs all over the ground.

Found the bottle right up next to the fence in the same area. Now I'm not claiming what I found IS indeed a sword blade, but it certainly looks like one and I'm almost certain a soldier was in this area with his harmonica and sword over 100 years ago and I just think that's really cool.

Someone may come in here and burst my bubble and tell me what I found isn't a sword blade, but that's ok. It's still a neat find and certainly wouldn't shock me if it is considering where I was hunting. Anyway, pictures below and thanks for looking and feel free to try and I.D it and tell me what I do have. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 2-28-12-sw.jpg
    2-28-12-sw.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 787
  • 2-28-12-harm.jpg
    2-28-12-harm.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 803
  • 2-28-12-harm2.jpg
    2-28-12-harm2.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 871
  • 2-28-12-mw.jpg
    2-28-12-mw.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 920
  • 2-28-12-bottle.jpg
    2-28-12-bottle.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 973
  • 2-28-12-finds.jpg
    2-28-12-finds.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 1,019
  • sword-cleaned.jpg
    sword-cleaned.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 424
  • sword-2.jpg
    sword-2.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 538
  • merrywidows.jpg
    merrywidows.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 536
  • bottle.jpg
    bottle.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 601
  • harmonica2.jpg
    harmonica2.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 540
  • harmonica3.jpg
    harmonica3.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 544
Upvote 0

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: CW campsite. Sword blade????!? Harmonica, bottle, merry widows piece, relics.

Awesome finds, that's a sword blade in my eyes :headbang:

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: CW campsite. Sword blade????!? Harmonica, bottle, merry widows piece, relics.

wow that is cool :hello2:

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sun-ray X-5 coil and X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That to me is a sword blade. But it doesn't seem to be pitted enough to be CW era. But who knows. Awesome find.

raycan

Mar 8, 2009
Texarkana, Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT,Spectra V3I, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice variety of finds. The Merry Widows is a condom wrapper from early to mid 1900's time period.

sekypaleo

Jan 24, 2010
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2 with 13" Ultimate coil, AKA Sorex Pro, Eurotek Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats man...absolutely a sword blade, you can see the fuller running down it. Great find, this in the fact that the cw bullets you found are carbine bullets, it looks like you may have walked into a cavalry camp....get back there asap!

scavenger

Oct 21, 2004
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre (Soon to be teknetics T2SE)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

looks like a sword blade to me! wonder where the rest of it is?

OP
OP
matt092079

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

raycan said:
Nice variety of finds. The Merry Widows is a condom wrapper from early to mid 1900's time period.

Haha. Nice... lol

sekypaleo said:
Congrats man...absolutely a sword blade, you can see the fuller running down it. Great find, this in the fact that the cw bullets you found are carbine bullets, it looks like you may have walked into a cavalry camp....get back there asap!

AWESOME! Yeah, the cavalry button in my avatar is one I found in the same area last year.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other

Doc Arey said:
I vote sword blade for sure! :blob7:

Yeah, I agree also. You just might have found a really good spot. Take something with you to chop the brush away and see what you find.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Man,the stories that could tell!I found a sword scabbard when I first started detecting,but never found the sword

CSA2K

Jan 24, 2012
Winchester VA
Detector(s) used
This Minelab and this Pro-Pointer.. and that's all I need
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice score again Matt. Wish I could do so well in my own back yard lol!

L

lost hunter

:notworthy:

Albertaclipper

Feb 27, 2012
Central Alberta, Canada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds bud!!!

Gawd! I was born in the wrong country...I live in the @##$% prairies up here, miles and miles and miles of open country and no historical wars here period ( not that wars are good ), but I just want the chance to use history books and word of mouth and go find it!

Keep it up guys! I love reading about your finds and I share your excitement!

Cheers!

Dale

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds! You also dug a sabre belt rig piece (the rivet looking thing). Did that by chance come up near where the sword was dug? Dig you check around for more of the sword?

-Buck

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What a find, that is so cool , wish it could talk, Congrats on a sweet fine :notworthy: I think I would be right back there looking for the rest of that sword.

RFrady

Jan 16, 2011
Steilacoom, WA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice saber blade. Looks like about 2/3 of a Cavalry Officers Saber. I have an officer and NCO saber. I am a Cavalry and Armor NCO for over 27 years. Awesome find.

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ZOMG! A sword blade?!?!?!? AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :headbang:

flyinryan2

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2011
Winchester, VA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, 8.5"x11" DD coil, Super Sniper coil, Garrett Ace 250, 10" x 14" DD EXcelerator coil, Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awsome find, If it stops raining today for a few hours im going to go over and try hitting that corner and try to find a few things myself. Congrats!!! :icon_thumright:

B

Bev

That Deere make up compact in the other post reminded me of a Merry Widows item for a moment! I think I'll laugh my butt off when I eventually dig one of those! Thank you for showing us!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread