Two first in one day (More Finds & Pics Added 10-16-06)

Just_Sean

Greenie
Sep 26, 2006
Troy, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Two first in one day (More Finds & Pics Added 10-16-06)

This is my first post so I'll tell a little bit about myself. I started metal detecting when I was about 11 years old. I started out going on trips with my dad who has been detecting for probably 30 years. He always found good coins but I didn't have much luck. When I was about 16 I quit detecting. Up until that time my best finds were a 1902 Indian Head penny and a few silver Rosie's.

A couple of months ago a started detecting again. at first I started practicing in my back yard where I found a few wheat pennies, 2 silver Rosie's, and a silver cub scout ring. I started looking for some new places to hunt and began researching some old maps. I found what used to be a roadside park between about the 1920's and 1960's. It turns out that I drive past this site going to and from work everyday. from loking at it you would never know it was a park because it is overgrown with grass about two feet tall. I decided to take a weed eater out there and start cutting some paths. At first I was having little luck. There is a large amount of trash, especially bottle caps. But it didn't take long till I started finding wheat pennies from the 1920's to the 1940's. for about the last month I've been stopping there on my way home a couple days a week for about a half hour to an hour a day, cutting grass then detecting and still finding nothing but wheaties and junk. A couple of days ago my luck changed and I found a 1943-P war nickel, my first silver nickel. This gave me good motivation to keep looking. Yesterday I had two good finds and both first for me. Within two feet of putting my coil down for the first time of the day I found a 1944 merc. A short time later and closeby I dug up a 1943 Walking Liberty Half. So far my totals for the park are the 3 silver coins and about 20 wheat pennies, and no clad. I have barely covered the whole area of this park and I'm confident that there is much more to find.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Just_Sean

Greenie
Sep 26, 2006
Troy, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Re: Two first in one day (Pics Added 10-16-06)

HPIM1704.JPG

Attachments

• HPIM1705.JPG
    HPIM1705.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 160
  • HPIM1706.JPG
    HPIM1706.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 168
  • HPIM1707.JPG
    HPIM1707.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 171

Top Member Reactions