Two first in one day (More Finds & Pics Added 10-16-06)

Just_Sean

Greenie
Sep 26, 2006
Troy, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Two first in one day (More Finds & Pics Added 10-16-06)

This is my first post so I'll tell a little bit about myself. I started metal detecting when I was about 11 years old. I started out going on trips with my dad who has been detecting for probably 30 years. He always found good coins but I didn't have much luck. When I was about 16 I quit detecting. Up until that time my best finds were a 1902 Indian Head penny and a few silver Rosie's.

A couple of months ago a started detecting again. at first I started practicing in my back yard where I found a few wheat pennies, 2 silver Rosie's, and a silver cub scout ring. I started looking for some new places to hunt and began researching some old maps. I found what used to be a roadside park between about the 1920's and 1960's. It turns out that I drive past this site going to and from work everyday. from loking at it you would never know it was a park because it is overgrown with grass about two feet tall. I decided to take a weed eater out there and start cutting some paths. At first I was having little luck. There is a large amount of trash, especially bottle caps. But it didn't take long till I started finding wheat pennies from the 1920's to the 1940's. for about the last month I've been stopping there on my way home a couple days a week for about a half hour to an hour a day, cutting grass then detecting and still finding nothing but wheaties and junk. A couple of days ago my luck changed and I found a 1943-P war nickel, my first silver nickel. This gave me good motivation to keep looking. Yesterday I had two good finds and both first for me. Within two feet of putting my coil down for the first time of the day I found a 1944 merc. A short time later and closeby I dug up a 1943 Walking Liberty Half. So far my totals for the park are the 3 silver coins and about 20 wheat pennies, and no clad. I have barely covered the whole area of this park and I'm confident that there is much more to find.

Upvote 0

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Re: Two first in one day

Nice story and welcome to the forum.

Sounds like a good sight. Hit it hard and slow. Dig up every signal. Research really pays off.

HH Jer

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts

great finds,,,,,, i hope you get much,much more.....

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds and good luck finding more! I bet that place is loaded if noone has ever hunted it before! Keep at it!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You have a great spot! Congrats. I have only found one war nickle but I would like a few more. :)

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds.Can we see some pictures?

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great story, congratulations on the firsts. I think that site will produce more finds for you if you keep hitting it, thorough and slow.

Would love to see pics of your finds. Keep us posted on how you do at this place.

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains

Welcome to the forum Just_Sean. Glad to see you have some firsts and good finds on your return to MDing.

Congratulations. May those finds continue for you.

Postalrevnant

OP
OP
J

Just_Sean

Greenie
Sep 26, 2006
Troy, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher

Went back for about 45 minutes yesterday. I'm pretty much clearing out an area full of bottle caps, iron nails, and various other trash. I'll try to get some pics up soon.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Welcome fellow Buckeye! ;D Sounds like you are going to do well in the hobby - research + persistance + location = Finds.

Congratulations on some firsts - Walking Liberty Halves are not easy to come by. I know you where excited when you found that!

Mirage

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Welcome Sean to the forum. Looks like you're off to a good start. Keep us posted.

Huntin' 59er

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

welcome back to the hobby and the forum! Keep us updated on that park. Nice finds so far!!

I

ibbasser123

Welcome back. sounds like a great place, show us pictures we all love pics... again welcome and way to go..

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Sean, welcome to TNet. You're off to a good start! :o

It sounds like you have the patience to make some great finds. Good luck and post us some pictures!! ;)

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Just like riding a bike.....You still got it just_sean.....Great find's and don't be a stranger!!!!

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5

Congratulationd and welcome to the forum. I can bring my lawnmower up and cut the whole thing for us..........I mean for you old buddy old pal ;D ;D. I'm just down the road from you. ::)

OP
OP
J

Just_Sean

Greenie
Sep 26, 2006
Troy, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher

Went back yesterday for about an hour. Found a 1952 Rosie and another wheat penny. here's my total's for this site so far and I've barely touched the roughly 3 acres of land.

21 Wheat pennies - 1920's to early 50's
1943-P nickel
1943 Walking Liberty Half
1944 Merc
1952 Rosie
Silver Catholic Necklace Charm

I've tried 2 post some pictures but have not been successful. If anyone has any tips for me I'd be grateful

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread