SC Hatpin - Real or Reproduction? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: SC Hatpin - Real or Reproduction?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Quote Originally Posted by Schoolmarm View Post
    I also have a SC "hat pin" which I bought as part of an estate sale in SC about 20 years ago. It was displayed alongside jewelry. I had the piece "appraised" by proprietors of a local Confederate Museum. One expert declared it a reproduction, but a second expert declared it a genuine period piece manufactured between 1861-1864. He insisted that the "proof" consists of evidence of two attachment points on the back where a "vertical pin" once was attached. The back currently shows multiple attempts to solder a more modern pin attachment to the back, but the solder ranges from lead to silver and the pin is not a contemporary (mid to late 20th century) design. I have been advised to have a jeweler saw away the current pin attachment since it is not original to the pin and detracts from the authenticity of the pin.
    I have seen the front of several authentic period pins including the one in Howard Crouch's book on Civil War Relics, but no one shares a photo of the reverse side of an authentic pin. I thought that my pin looked more like the pin in Crouch's photo than the silver-plated ones. I respect the opinions of CC Hunter and others on this forum and would like to know what members think of my pin and whether or not it's trash or treasure.

Attachment 1320258Attachment 1320261Attachment 1320263
    Welcome to Tnet.
    To answer the question, its neither trash or treasure
    Repro.
    ramjet2187 likes this.
    TOO BUSY TO DETECT,YOU'RE TOO BUSY!!!

'Time isn't money it's finds, unless your finds are money' 08/12/17
    'No good comes from thinking about how much time we waste detecting, as wasted time is good soul time' 25/06/08
    A real man thinks about detecting every 6 seconds.
    'They look over their shoulder, I look to the ground' 30/09/12
    We can not understand ourselves unless we understand our HISTORY.
    Have pleasant times finding pleasant things. 17/01/21
    I open my prezzies out of lumps of mud. 02/10/19
    PMA:Positive MetalDetecting Attitude.
    ONE LIFE - DETECT IT

Apr 2021
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Dear sir (CC Hunter),
    Can you please post a photo of the front and back of your authentic SC Palmetto hat pin? We stumbled upon one in a backwoods "antique" shop in a little town in Georgia several years ago and would love to compare it to your known authentic piece because we have no idea what ours is, but we loved it either way, so we bought it. We are not "detectors", but do love Southern history.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by SC-HuckleBarry; Apr 07, 2021 at 08:21 PM.

us
    Bill B

Sep 2010
    Upstate NY
    Excalibur2,,silver sabre
    1470 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    That is a very nice recovery either way real or reproduction

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links