RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I previously posted the coin in the "What is it" forum and it was confirmed that it was a Connecticut copper. Pretty neat find here in Maryland. I don't know if this coin is considered rare or not but its now one of my best and favorite finds. Trying to figure out a good way of getting the rest of the dirt off the coin without losing the green patina. If it cannot be done then I will leave it as is. Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting.

Attachments

• Coin.JPG
    Coin.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 686
  • Coin1.JPG
    Coin1.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 679
  • Coin.JPG
    Coin.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 666
  • Coin1.JPG
    Coin1.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 678
Upvote 0
OP
OP
RiverRat3

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
rocky raccoon said:
you tried the olive oil trick?

I tried the olive oil trick on an old half cent I found. Did not like the results to much. I may just soak a Q Tip and gently wipe the dirt parts.

rocky raccoon

Jan 24, 2012
nc
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RiverRat3 said:
rocky raccoon said:
you tried the olive oil trick?

I tried the olive oil trick on an old half cent I found. Did not like the results to much. I may just soak a Q Tip and gently wipe the dirt parts.
yeah its a trial and error thing,good luck and post how it turns out....rr

JW15

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 w/DD coil Backup- 505,305.
Nice score! :thumbsup: You may want to try warm distilled water and a very soft bristle brush.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peroxide is one of the best methods. Look at Don in SJ's post on cleaning coppers in the Cleaning and Preservation section of the forum. This will not work if the coin has olive oil on it beforehand, though.

Cheers,

Buckles

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buckleboy, Can you clean off the olive oil if you have soaked in it? Maybe rubbing alcohol?

RiverRat3, Congrats on the find. Found one two weeks ago 1788 Conn Copper. It was in great shape. What date is yours? I tried to ID the type but gave up as there are about 70 varieties of my date. Still a very nice find.

Ed .

Attachments

• CC1788obv.jpg
    CC1788obv.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 485
  • CC1788rev.jpg
    CC1788rev.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 490
  • CC1788obv.jpg
    CC1788obv.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 478
  • CC1788rev.jpg
    CC1788rev.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 484

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI, Only cleaned with a little soap and water. May use a soft tooth brush as I am pretty sure it is not rare.

Ed. D.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any CT is a good find but you have to ID the variety to determine the rarity and there can be a huge difference. I've seen dug ones go over 10k, and had they been listed as common would have been $50 coins. A CT copper find is like a lottery ticket, and it's just a matter of determining the prize... if you can.

OP
OP
RiverRat3

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Born2Dtect said:
FYI, Only cleaned with a little soap and water. May use a soft tooth brush as I am pretty sure it is not rare.

Ed. D.

The coin I found is 1785. I read about your coin last week, great find and in great condition. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
RiverRat3

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Any CT is a good find but you have to ID the variety to determine the rarity and there can be a huge difference. I've seen dug ones go over 10k, and had they been listed as common would have been $50 coins. A CT copper find is like a lottery ticket, and it's just a matter of determining the prize... if you can.

I can see how much of a headache it could be to determine the variety. Thanks for the information. This is my oldest coin find to date. My oldest prior was a 1798 large cent.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I wouldn't clean it or just take a small paint brush, run it under water and just wipe it down. I think you will lose that green patina if you try any cleaning methods other than water. Trust me, I've tried on lots of different coppers and it never keeps the original patina. Good luck. Great find and can't wait to see the finished product whatever that may be.

OP
OP
RiverRat3

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
matt092079 said:
Personally I wouldn't clean it or just take a small paint brush, run it under water and just wipe it down. I think you will lose that green patina if you try any cleaning methods other than water. Trust me, I've tried on lots of different coppers and it never keeps the original patina. Good luck. Great find and can't wait to see the finished product whatever that may be.

I'm gonna leave it in its current condition. I like the green patina.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good decision. I like it too! :icon_thumleft:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
matt092079 said:

A peroxide soak is much better at keeping the green patina than water, and the bonus is it removes the dirt and crud.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
matt092079 said:

A peroxide soak is much better at keeping the green patina than water, and the bonus is it removes the dirt and crud.

Not in my experience. Just sayin'! I know peroxide is great with a crusty coin, but every coin doesn't have the same result.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
matt092079 said:
Iron Patch said:
matt092079 said:

Not in my experience. Just sayin'! I know peroxide is great with a crusty coin, but every coin doesn't have the same result.

That's because you probably take it out of the peroxide and run it under the water, and that's what is losing the color.

And in this case every coin is the same because the context we're using is all coins that have a green patina and need to be cleaned. Just sayin'!

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually I dab it with cloth...is that the same result as water? I had a 1925 wheat penny with green patina that I WANTED to stay on the coin, but the peroxide took most of it off. :whip2: JUST SAYIN'!

And yes, if you're dealing with coins of the same metal content...I guess technically every coin is the same. But I bet you most people that come on here and clean their coins have different outcomes and a lot lose the original patina they were going for and are often upset with the outcome.

I've tried so many methods that people have suggested and I am a coin collector, so I TRY to salvage the coin best that I can using the safest method possible. Cleaning a coin is to each their own, but I know now that I won't clean a coin unless it is in really bad shape.

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've cleaned dozens of coppers with peroxide....it works.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not saying it doesn't work. Because it does work on cleaning a coin, but if he likes the look of the coin at it's current state, he might wanna stray away from peroxide and even olive oil because it MAY change what he already likes.

For example, my indian head had a nice brown patina. I used olive oil and it is now pitted and has orange spots. The wheat pennies I've found and used peroxide on them, I've lost the green patina and they become very "gritty" to the touch. ALTHOUGH they become clean with peroxide, as in it will remove dirt and if they are heavily corroded. Baking soda...the same thing. They will lose the green patina and turn a redish brown...in my experience. :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread