Revisited field site turns up some good finds UPDATE...a rare find in the mix!

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have hit this particular field site every spring for the last 3 years. The farmer plows it in the fall and I try to hit it in the spring before he starts planting. This site has given up a couple LC's, a King George, & misc. relics over the last few years. Last evening I made it out for one of my first hunts of the year and picked up some decent finds. Toasted LC, assortment of buttons, and interesting item with a cross on it :icon_scratch: and the first stirrup I have dug. This stirrup is actually civil war era and one website mentions that this particular style was found in confederate camps. It mentions that it was also used by civilians so I'm not implying this one saw action :laughing9:. Anyone know what the small loop item on the bottom right is? Reminds me of part of a spur but it is really small and thin. Thanks for looking!

UPDATE: Thanks to Kuger for ID'ing the cross item as part of a buckle that is really rare!

104_4882.jpg

104_4884.jpg

Upvote 0

JW15

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 w/DD coil Backup- 505,305.
Re: Revisited field site turns up some good finds

Nice array of finds! :thumbsup: Can you post a pic of the back of the cross find?

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Cool find's WH....Still looking for my first stirrup :icon_thumright:

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

JW15 said:
Can you post a pic of the back of the cross find?

My thoughts exactly. Interesting finds; glad you got out. Cool stirrup. :icon_thumleft:

HH

OP
OP
Wallhangers

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

JW15 said:
Nice array of finds! :thumbsup: Can you post a pic of the back of the cross find?
The cross object is very thin so the back is the reverse of the front

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

Nice bunch of oldies!
I have an item that almost matches your Cross piece, (similar pattern around the edge, thin stamped brass, but no cross)
Thought it might be a rosette with missing lead :dontknow:
Loop item may have functioned like a button hook ?? (missing handle)
Great finds and awesome work your doing!
http://www.wallhangerstaxidermy.com/

OP
OP
Wallhangers

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

steelheadwill said:
Nice bunch of oldies!
I have an item that almost matches your Cross piece, (similar pattern around the edge, thin stamped brass, but no cross)
I also thought of the rosette idea, it's a little smaller than other rosette's I have found and there wasn't any traces of lead on the back. Doesn't mean it didn't just pop off the lead cleanly. I guess I will assume that it is a rosette unless someone else can ID it differently. Thanks Herbie, it felt good to get out there swinging the detector again. I will be waiting for your next mind-blowing find, maybe you will snag Christopher Columbus' pocket watch :D

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

Same thought here, too small, & no filling trace..
tried to find the item or the pic, no luck, the 2011 folder
is way too big, needs subcategories :D
Thanks for your reply :hello:
Looking forward to seeing more! Herbie.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Nice buttons man.

But that deer is unreal. My heart would have been racing if I shot that dude.

HH Jer

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Holey mackerel Wallhanger , outstanding hunt and finds :) the copper looks like there is a bust facing left :icon_scratch: French coin ? cross button is the first ever seen .. interesting . Stirrup is an awesome relic find . 8) dawg

OP
OP
Wallhangers

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CMDiamonddawg said:
Holey mackerel Wallhanger , outstanding hunt and finds :) the copper looks like there is a bust facing left :icon_scratch: French coin ? cross button is the first ever seen .. interesting . Stirrup is an awesome relic find . 8) dawg
Thanks dawg, I am pretty sure that the copper is just an earlier LC, it was thin but really worn down. I think I was faintly seeing the wreath on the back of it. It's amazing that you can even see a bust on it, in the field it looked almost smooth.
JerV3 said:
Nice buttons man.

But that deer is unreal. My heart would have been racing if I shot that dude.

HH Jer
Thanks JerV3. My heart was racing too and it took about a half hour before the adrenalin wore off.
civilman1 said:
Cool find's WH....Still looking for my first stirrup :icon_thumright:
Thanks, I usually don't dig the iron signals except when they throw off a particular sound and know that the site is real old.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wallhanger!!!!Confirm something for me.................your Cross item,does it have "writing,along the bottom portion,just under the leg of the Cross leg?If it does......I know exactly what you have and it is very rare and a Phenominal find!!!!!!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wallhangers said:
steelheadwill said:
Nice bunch of oldies!
I also thought of the rosette idea, it's a little smaller than other rosette's I have found and there wasn't any traces of lead on the back. Doesn't mean it didn't just pop off the lead cleanly. I guess I will assume that it is a rosette unless someone else can ID it differently. Thanks Herbie, it felt good to get out there swinging the detector again. I will be waiting for your next mind-blowing find, maybe you will snag Christopher Columbus' pocket watch :D

Nope,not a Rosette...................

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kuger is going to have the correct ID for you after confirmation of the letters under the cross. (I think I can see them Kuger) The indicators are there also with the rest of your cool finds! Congrats Wallhanger in your recovery of something that quite a few of us who hunt for these still haven't found that particular one! Sorry for the suspense, but Kuger has the right to this ID!!!!!

IM

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ironman! said:
Kuger is going to have the correct ID for you after confirmation of the letters under the cross. (I think I can see them Kuger) The indicators are there also with the rest of your cool finds! Congrats Wallhanger in your recovery of something that quite a few of us who hunt for these still haven't found that particular one! Sorry for the suspense, but Kuger has the right to this ID!!!!!

IM
Ironman!!!!You know what it is :wink:
Yep,pretty sure its it....one of two things.Wallhanger,could I get a pic of the back.....if not,is there any sign of iron on the back?

OP
OP
Wallhangers

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kuger said:
Ironman! said:

IM
Ironman!!!!You know what it is :wink:
Yep,pretty sure its it....one of two things.Wallhanger,could I get a pic of the back.....if not,is there any sign of iron on the back?
It does have writing but I can't make it out without looking a little better. I will send a picture of the front and back a little closer. One side of this had broke off but it is all there. The suspense is killing me...what is it and what do the words say?
Here is the front...

104_4889.jpg

And here is the back...

104_4890.jpg

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yep,just as I thought!Its the center disc to a very RARE stamped brass Tongue and wreath buckle.Not a whole lot is known exactly "who",it was made for,or if it even was made for a Fraternity?It has been said possibly an early Christian Group",but I dont see how it couldnt be Catholic",either.Could have merely been made for purchase by a "God Fearing",man.There are also a matching set of suspender buckles that have been noted as well.The "writing",says,Pat 1846-49.(CCHunter,will add in)Fantastic find,and there should be three more parts out there!I vote Banner,but unfortunately only a few really appreciate these pieces!! Photo courtesy of a good friend of ours,that has been fortunate to have found this example

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wallhangers

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yep, that's it! I appreciate the ID on this. I have kept all of the other finds from this site but haven't found the other parts yet. I will be sure to keep revisiting this site over the years and maybe I will get lucky and find more of it. Again, thanks for the ID.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread