Unidentified Metal- please help

writer2783

Mar 12, 2012
Rainier, Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I have been looking this up and cant figure out if its Magnesium, Silver, Aluminum, or something else (I know the chance that its silver is highly unlikely). I found these "rocks" in my orchard while doing yardwork.
The first thing I noticed when I went to move them was that they are extremely dense and about 5-6 times heavier than a regular rock of the same size. One piece is about 10"x12"x12" and weighs 52 lb. There is a small pile of these and they add up to about 200 lb, and there's only about 7 to 8 pieces.
But they look the same shape and color as typical grey/ black Oregon rocks, only slightly darker. A couple of them have formations on them that slightly resembles a meteorite type appearance or like volcano rock but without the holes on the side.
One of them had some shiny metallic like surface showing where a piece had chipped off. I knocked a couple together and saw that it was basically some sort of oxidation over the metal. It does not come off easily at all- You have to use something like a grinder to be really effective. When they knock together it sounds like iron hitting iron, but they're not magnetic at all.
They have the shiny pure metallic silver color through them entirely, not bits and pieces. And on the outside they are coated with oxidation and look like rocks. So they are chunks of something.
THEY ARE NOT MAGNETIC (I used a strong magnet I had and it wouldnt stick, but did not have a rare earth magnet on hand to test), so I dont think they can be iron. They spark when you repeatedly strike with a hammer. But I broke some small crumb like pieces off to try to light as magnesium would and it wouldn't. I also tried the Magnesium "Vinegar" test using white vinegar on a couple of the pieces where the metal was exposed and nothing happened.
So I don't know what this is. If anyone has any idea that could help it would be greatly appreciated, thank you

NOTE: ON THE PICS, in person the insides are very shiny and the outsides are more dark than they look in the pic.

LINKS TO PICS:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76021178@N03/6974982745/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76021178@N03/6974982079/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76021178@N03/6974981613/

Attachments

• DSC00456.JPG
    DSC00456.JPG
    261.5 KB · Views: 616
Upvote 0
OP
OP
writer2783

writer2783

Mar 12, 2012
Rainier, Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the pics, the far left is one i broke in half, so you can see the insides. The middle one has the strange formation on the front, and the one to the far right is what they looked like when I found them- like a rock.

wheelerite

Feb 2, 2008
canby,oregon
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
not mica, mica comes in sheets, There used to be a mercury mine in portland I wonder if that could have anything to do with the weight. You might want to ask on the meteorite forum and see what the experts say there. Good luck hope you find an answer.
ksmith

COLFEED

Jan 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found some just like it my area. ( Scappoose) Let me know what you find out. Thanks Todd

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread