Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't been out in a while, but had to clear out my junk box. I throw all my junk in there and then sift over it, just in case. I knew I had some coins in there, but man, was surprised at what I found.

I started digging out some wheaties. Nothing nice, but heck, wheaties are nice. Then I grabbed what I thought was another wheatie. I was thinking, man that is nice detail on that wheatie...then it dawned on me. I was looking at the back of an Indian Head. Yeah, I was in a sorting state of mind.

Excitedly, I turned it over and was amazed to see the 1864 date. This thing is in nice shape - you can easily see full Liberty. And you can see beads on the neckline and the checkers on the ribbon. Amazing coin out of the ground. Now I'm kicking myself for not being able to track what site this came from. So, I look up the 1864 series and note the variances. Then I remember the "L" variance.

I kind of hesitatingly grab the loupe and take a look. I mean, honestly, would you expect to see an L? I had to do a double take. An unmistakeable "L" behind the neck of the Indian. Unreal. Pointed bust makes it undeniable. Is there any worth in a dug copper like this? Regardless, I love it.

IMG00336-20120312-1954.jpg

Upvote 0
M

mikusek

It should be worth something. Everything is crisp and easy to see. Hope corrosion hasn't damaged it.

Threshold

Mar 3, 2012
Riverside, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garret Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here ya are friend--> http://values.hobbizine.com/indian-cents.html

Your is probably fine grade? I dont know around $125

My dad had a 1877. Ever since then ive grown fond of the indian head pennies. His was in BAD dhape but he still got $160 for it

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice coin seems similar to mine. One of my pals looked at it. His eyes are better than mine. He says mine is an L but part of it appears obscured. That L is extremely tiny. Don't know if it would have much value, but am extremely happy to have found it. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,456797.0.html

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow! That says it all.

All the best,

Lanny

DirtDodger

Mar 13, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very Nice find. :icon_thumleft:

The value of copper types coins recovered from digging them up is a lot less than prices quoted in value guides.
The surface of coins is critical when determining the state of preservation/grade.
While this coin looks like grade EX 45 to AU 50 plus on details, the condition of the coin’s surface will reduce the grade and amount considerable. It is hard to tell from the photograph and without the reverse it is impossible to grade. It has corrosion so it has been damaged, which is generally true of all copper based coins retrieved from the ground.

Fair market value for a non dug 1864-L penny:
G4-$50 VG8-$70 F12-$120 VF20-$185 XF40-$245 AU-$285

Being a coin dig, it is likely worth only a very small fraction of XF amount…could be as little as 10% or less. Depends on a lot of factors not shown in the photograph.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lost hunter said:
lost hunter , 400 thumbs up smilies in one day :o another 80 to go C'mon yo ::) sorry metal magnet these guys that don't write any words in replies to run up post #'s are a joke .. :laughing9: .. great 64 indian

OP
OP
Metal Magnet

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah, that corrosion loves to adhere to that nickel in those years. which is a huge bummer considering the condition. The '73 i dug has no bad corrosion, just the typical green patina. oh well. i still love seeing that green disk come out of the ground!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread