1877 Key date and plus more (update) more pics

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well its been a great week that all started Friday evening after school. Lately Ive been getting silver at least once per day and wheaties. I cant complain to much on the weather which has been great so far even for today. Now today I did what I normally do is head out to one of the local parks and beep it up and down the hills. Well it paid off I finally, found the key date in IH pennys which I was totally not expecting to find in the middle of no where. Now is there a best way to clean the 1877 with out damaging it and how do I send this off to NGC or PCGS for slabbing.

Update did a little bit of cleaning with a soft brush and warm water. The 1877 IH came out very nice and green I would grade it F-XF shows liberty but faded. The shield in back has full lines and all wheats shows. Also today a bank while cashing payroll check I got these 3 Proof Silver Quarters as change all mint mark of S :headbang:. 2004-Texas,2006-Neb and 2010 Mount Hood

Silver dimes, 1883 Seated, 1901 Barber, Mercurys 1918, 1936-D,
2 silver rings, one copper
Wheaties, 1917,19,41-D,57-D
Key dated 1877 IH

Attachments

• 2rings.jpg
    2rings.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 2,325
  • 3 silver dimes.jpg
    3 silver dimes.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 2,329
  • 3pennys.jpg
    3pennys.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 2,306
  • 1877obv.jpg
    1877obv.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 2,394
  • 1877rev.jpg
    1877rev.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 2,354
  • 3qrtr.jpg
    3qrtr.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,830
  • 1877clobv.jpg
    1877clobv.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,920
  • 1877clrev.jpg
    1877clrev.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,868
Upvote 3
OP
OP
IAsoldier

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1877 Key date and plus more

jerseyben said:
DO NOT CLEAN THAT IH!
Plus, I voted banner. Congrats.
It's not going to be worth much covered in dirt though. Even heavily cleaned, a key date coin like that will fetch $. As long as you're smart about getting the dirt off it shouldn't degrade the coin much.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I fully agree with Nate, be smart about cleaning it and it will only increase the value, great find!

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008

congrats on joining the 1877 club with me. ;D i know how you must of felt. willy

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That should get much better.

Peroxide soak with light brushing. Once done lay flat to dry (no water) to keep the patina, or rinse with soap to wash it away. It would be pure insanity to leave that coin as is.

DirtDodger

Mar 13, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Please DO NOT clean it. I've been a collector for 40+ years. Trust me most collectors will not buy a coin that has been cleaned.

If you WANT to RUIN the coin Peroxide soak with light brushing will do it.

You should only rinse off the dirt. If you do more than that you WILL decrease the value.

If you want to get more of the dirt off soak in olive oil, this will take time... months possibly.

Most grading services will grade it as damage, because it is. Any copper coin dug up is.
The surface of ths coin is everything to a collector.

It is a very important coin and still has good value to a collector....
but it needs handled by an exprienced person to remove the dirt and not harm the value.

Please everyone if you find a good coin, DO NOT clean it. The last thing a collector want to see is a coin ruined due to cleaning.

Congrates... Dirt diggin for 40 years and 500+ indians, still looking for a '77.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DirtDodger said:
Please DO NOT clean it. I've been a collector for 40+ years. Trust me most collectors will not buy a coin that has been cleaned.

You should only rinse off the dirt. If you do more than that you WILL decrease the value.

If you want to get more of the dirt off soak in olive oil, this will take time... months possibly.

Most grading services will grade it as damage, because it is. Any copper coin dug up is.

but it needs handled by an exprienced person to remove the dirt and not harm the value.

Please everyone if you find a good coin, DO NOT clean it. The last thing a collector want to see is a coin ruined due to cleaning.

Congrates... Dirt diggin for 40 years and 500+ indians, still looking for a '77.

Well if it's only dirt of course you only need water, that's just common sense.

As for the peroxide ruining the coin or hurting the value.... yes, that was certainly the case for the copper I dug that was worth maybe $500 to someone when dug (because there was almost no detail showing) but after cleaning with peroxide I sold it for 5k. I'll leave my comments at that, although I probably could say a lot more.

Threshold

Mar 3, 2012
Riverside, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garret Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Id clean it up some at least ;) ask a coin dealer in person as well what they suggest

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer

If its gotta be cleaned, let a pro do it and grade it for ya. That's possibly a $1,000+ coin right there. I absolutely vote Banner for these finds including the Injun...Great job and big congrats as well. :headbang: jgas

coinstar

Apr 8, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ch-ching nice digs

augiguy

Greenie
Dec 22, 2011
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
E-Trac Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Iron Patch said:
DirtDodger said:

As for the peroxide ruining the coin or hurting the value.... yes, that was certainly the case for the copper I dug that was worth maybe $500 to someone when dug (because there was almost no detail showing) but after cleaning with peroxide I sold it for 5k. I'll leave my comments at that, although I probably could say a lot more.
You always say plenty

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one of the better dug 1877 IH I have seen - got my vote for banner :icon_thumright:
I found a 1877 when I was a kid - could see the date but 2/3 of rest of coin was toast
WTG!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

augiguy said:
Iron Patch said:
DirtDodger said:

You always say plenty

And 9 posts is already more than you need to say.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

augiguy said:
Iron Patch said:
DirtDodger said:

[/qu

You always say plenty
Very Wise man!!!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread