1877 Key date and plus more (update) more pics

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well its been a great week that all started Friday evening after school. Lately Ive been getting silver at least once per day and wheaties. I cant complain to much on the weather which has been great so far even for today. Now today I did what I normally do is head out to one of the local parks and beep it up and down the hills. Well it paid off I finally, found the key date in IH pennys which I was totally not expecting to find in the middle of no where. Now is there a best way to clean the 1877 with out damaging it and how do I send this off to NGC or PCGS for slabbing.

Update did a little bit of cleaning with a soft brush and warm water. The 1877 IH came out very nice and green I would grade it F-XF shows liberty but faded. The shield in back has full lines and all wheats shows. Also today a bank while cashing payroll check I got these 3 Proof Silver Quarters as change all mint mark of S :headbang:. 2004-Texas,2006-Neb and 2010 Mount Hood

Silver dimes, 1883 Seated, 1901 Barber, Mercurys 1918, 1936-D,
2 silver rings, one copper
Wheaties, 1917,19,41-D,57-D
Key dated 1877 IH

Attachments

• 2rings.jpg
    2rings.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 2,325
  • 3 silver dimes.jpg
    3 silver dimes.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 2,329
  • 3pennys.jpg
    3pennys.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 2,306
  • 1877obv.jpg
    1877obv.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 2,394
  • 1877rev.jpg
    1877rev.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 2,354
  • 1877clrev.jpg
    1877clrev.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,868
  • 1877clobv.jpg
    1877clobv.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,920
  • 3qrtr.jpg
    3qrtr.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,830
Upvote 3

williamsingr

Mar 15, 2012
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT PRO, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find, cleaning bad. Question about your quarters though ??? I do not see any dates on them which is odd considering they should have a date on them. Are you sure they are real and not fake ? Even Proof coins have dates on them.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
williamsingr said:
Excellent find, cleaning bad. Question about your quarters though ??? I do not see any dates on them which is odd considering they should have a date on them. Are you sure they are real and not fake ? Even Proof coins have dates on them.

When was the last time you looked at a quarter in your change? They have been like that since 1999!

williamsingr

Mar 15, 2012
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT PRO, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh my bad they are new quarters. Thought you meant they were silver quarters, threw me off there. :headbang:

DirtDodger

Mar 13, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrads on banner. :icon_thumleft: Looks great up there. :hello2:

Well deserved!

Note: The quarters look like silver, they are Proof coins. Proofs come in silver and clad.

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
first off congrats on the baner find of the 1877 indian head cent. second those are proof quarters and most likly not silver although they might be great find on those as well. what are the states for the quarters?

OP
OP
IAsoldier

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are silver heres pics.

Pic 1, 3 silver qrtr with regular clad qrtr
Pic 2, laid out on palm of hand with clad qrtr

Attachments

• 3silverq.jpg
    3silverq.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 347
  • 3sil.jpg
    3sil.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 408

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great IH fine, I would say banner being a Key date :notworthy:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1877 Key date and plus more

DirtDodger said:
Please DO NOT clean it. I've been a collector for 40+ years. Trust me most collectors will not buy a coin that has been cleaned.

If you WANT to RUIN the coin Peroxide soak with light brushing will do it.

You should only rinse off the dirt. If you do more than that you WILL decrease the value.

If you want to get more of the dirt off soak in olive oil, this will take time... months possibly.

Most grading services will grade it as damage, because it is. Any copper coin dug up is.
The surface of ths coin is everything to a collector.

It is a very important coin and still has good value to a collector....
but it needs handled by an exprienced person to remove the dirt and not harm the value.

Please everyone if you find a good coin, DO NOT clean it. The last thing a collector want to see is a coin ruined due to cleaning.

Congrates... Dirt diggin for 40 years and 500+ indians, still looking for a '77.
IT'S A DUG COIN!!!!!!!!!! FROM THE GROUND!!!! THAT IS WHERE THE GREEN PATINA COMES FROM. WE HAVE THIS DISCUSSION CONSTANTLY ON THIS SITE. THE PEROXIDE BATH, IF DONE CORRECTLY, (I'TS EASY TO DO), WILL NOT HARM THE VALUE OF A COIN FROM THE GROUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IS EVERYONE ON PAGE 1 OF " METAL DETECTING 101"?

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DirtDodger said:
Broken knee said:
Iron Patch said:
DirtDodger said:
Iron Patch said:
DirtDodger said:
First, I did not say it did not need to have the dirt removed.

Second, I ask anyone who thinks cleaning a coin to take it to any knowledgeable profession or ANA (American Numismatic Association) certified dealer and ask them if you should clean it with Peroxide. I am willing to bet none of them are going to tell you should. It should be done by a professional. Period.

The first rule of coin cleaning is: If you don't know its value, don't clean it, or if you think it is valuable, don't clean it, or if you know it is valuable, don't clean it. In other words, do not clean your discovered coins; leave them untouched and stored in proper holders. The reason for this is that coin dealers and collectors are interested in purchasing coins in their original condition and natural state of preservation. For example, never clean coins with commercial jewelry and metal polishes or silver tarnish remover, which will remove the toning that normally collects over time on copper and silver coins. Removing tarnish often harms coins, leaving small spots, scratches, or pockmarks that can significantly diminish their numismatic value by up to 90 percent! Statistically, nearly 20 percent of coins shown to coin dealers are rejected because they were improperly cleaned, polished, or their toning was chemically enhanced. Remember, you cannot unclean an improperly cleaned coin.

The second rule of cleaning coins is take your coins to a professional do the cleaning. Coin cleaning not be attempted by an amateur.

As for someone experience with cleaning a $500 coin and making it a $5k coin. Well, I can't say much other than I'm happy for your good fortune. Remember if it sold for 5k it was always a 5k coin. Cleaning does not enhance the value. It can if done improperly reduce the value.

I'll see if I can find the thread of the 1877 Indian that was sent in and totally destroyed by the "professionals."

You can spin it how you want, but I would not have got more than $500 for my coin without cleaning it. What the problem appears to be is that you're talking general guidelines that apply to non dug coins and believing the same holds true for dug. The 77 Indian posted here is dug, and is definitely going to have issues, and nothing will change that. At this point the way to make it the most valuable is to give it some eye appeal, and the peroxide is not going to do anything that the ground hasn't already done so far. You're definitely entitled to have your own opinion, but I probably have more experience than you realize and can back up anything I say.

No, Sir I was not quoting general guidelines for non-dug coins - Those guidelines apply to ALL coins. With more than 40 years collecting coins and as a long time member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA) I have a fairly extensive background in numismatics.

Yes, some soils can damage a coin far more than some chemicals… that still don’t mean those chemicals should be used for cleaning coins.

Rinsing or soaking the dirt off with water is not cleaning a coin. Anyone knows a dug coin needs the dirt off it to properly evaluate it. The question is how to remove the surface dirt. Your method is totally NOT advisable and one anyone who knows coins (dug or not) would not endorse it. It is unwise and could devalue a great coin.

I realize that this will not impact your thoughts on this matter as your opinion is made up, it is directed to the rest of the folks out there… the last thing any coin collector wants to see is a coin ruined.

Yes, even experts can ruin coins cleaning them, that should be enough of a warning that care should be taken. If they can ruin them, and then a non-expert stands a much greater risk of destroying them also.

PLEASE to all the rest of you consult an expert on any coins like this ’77 before cleaning. Also, remember not every local dealer is an expert in this area. Search out an ANA, or Professional Numismatists Guild (PNG) certified expert. Just like anything else, listen to the pros and cons and make an informed decision. It never hurts to have more information.

Gotcha. Now please tell us how to clean a very corroded 200+ year old copper coin so no value is lost.
IP, I would like to here his answer as well.
Broken Knee

It’s improper for me to advise anyone or anyone else to provide on the best method for cleaning unless the have expert knowledge. I didn’t in my any of comments advise anyone as to the best way to coin any coin.

The key point I am trying to tell everyone is IF it is a valuable coin such as this one; use caution. You can never undo the damage from improper cleaning.

PRESERVATION should be the objective, not cleaning.

Each coin is different each case needs to be looked at individually and assessed. Example, one might be willing to chance cleaning or method on a $100 coin vs a $100,000 coin.

As for a 200 year old coin that is heavy corroded; even if it were a very valuable coin being in that state would require someone with expertise in handling removal of the corrosion so the coin could be preserved in the best possible state so it retains as much as the value as possible. Yes, there are many ways to remove the corrosion, but the one used should be the one that BEST preserves the coin and its value. Most people, non-collectors and collectors (including myself) are not experts on removal of the corrosion that is why I tried to explain ask someone who is. I would not ask my doctor to fix my car or my mechanic to check my heart…. It applies to this too.

Please note; the only method I ever heard that most experts agree on is soaking copper coins in olive oil. I have an article where coin auction house (the owners are some of the foremost knowledgable in world) applied this to a pair of extremely valuable copper plates of first strikes of US dollar coins found by detectorists at the first mint site in Philadelphia. This method takes time, they soaked them for several month if I recall correctly.

Coins that are not truly valuable unlike as the ’77 here, cleaning them whether by harsh means or chemicals will not affect their value. This is true of most (not all, example: chain cent) of the early copper coins I see here and I have dig up. I have clean non valuable coins myself using every know method knowing that they had little or no value anyhow. One type I generally clean that have little or no value are nickels. The surface is generally totally ruined when it spends time in the soil. I have used harsh methods so I can see the details and date, some harsher than chemicals mention in this thread. They are not valuable. Would I use or advise someone to do this to an overdate buffalo or 1885 v-nickel or chain cent or 1877 cent or any rare coin - NO? The difference is those coin even dug up they have value.

One last thought --- Advice is cheap, but if the coin is ruined due to someone’s recommended method of cleaning; ask yourself this, are they going to make it right and pay for the damages?
NCS is going to charge someone to "conserve" a coin, and it will still have the same value as it would have if they, had done it themselves with peroxide. Only you didn't have to pay $50.00 to have it "conserved" :icon_scratch: On your "Last thought"-------The coin is already damaged as it has come from the ground. It will say that on the slab....."ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE". Some people may want to have this done.....and that's fine. It's their coin.

OP
OP
IAsoldier

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't matter to me its 1877 IH no matter what, good, bad or ugly plus I like patina it gives it age. Later

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sold my dug 1871 key date for $127.00 on eBay no problem. Lots of people don't mind the "dug" patina. Excellent dig!

DirtDodger

Mar 13, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dug Indian after hot peroxide bath. Started with water rinse and the crust that was on there was just not even beginning to let loose. Couldn't even make out the date yet. These pictures are part way through the process. It kept a nice deep greenish brown patina and if I were buying, the fact that it had been "cleaned" would not stop me.

And if you really want or expect to be taken seriously with any amount of respect, then maybe you should hang around awhile, put your time in and get to know people before you make posts that make you sound like a pompous know-it-all.

Its sad you made it personal. I stand by my advise. Many others offered the same advise. I don't really care if you respect me or take me seriously. Calling people names for putting for knowledge gained over 40 years that adds to the discussion is not civil. Just because I have not been posting to this blog a long time does not mean I lack knowledge in collecting coins. I don't wish to stop or change you, my only desire was to provide information. I never said I didn't like the greenish patina. I wouldn't buy a cleaned coin and most collectors are the same. Pompous... is not advising someone not to do something, the advise garnered over years of buying and selling coins. Yes, I may know more about the hobby of coins than many diggers who are non-collectors or other collectors, there are far more advanced collectors than me (including some diggers) who have forget more on coins than I will ever know.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its sad you made it personal. I stand by my advise. Many others offered the same advise. I don't really care if you respect me or take me seriously. Calling people names for putting for knowledge gained over 40 years that adds to the discussion is not civil. Just because I have not been posting to this blog a long time does not mean I lack knowledge in collecting coins. I don't wish to stop or change you, my only desire was to provide information. I never said I didn't like the greenish patina. I wouldn't buy a cleaned coin and most collectors are the same. Pompous... is not advising someone not to do something, the advise garnered over years of buying and selling coins. Yes, I may know more about the hobby of coins than many diggers who are non-collectors or other collectors, there are far more advanced collectors than me (including some diggers) who have forget more on coins than I will ever know.

I see your point, but you were quick to jump in to reply to question my advice and I do this for a living. I can back up anything I say because I live it day to day.

DirtDodger

Mar 13, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IT'S A DUG COIN!!!!!!!!!! FROM THE GROUND!!!! THAT IS WHERE THE GREEN PATINA COMES FROM. WE HAVE THIS DISCUSSION CONSTANTLY ON THIS SITE. THE PEROXIDE BATH, IF DONE CORRECTLY, (I'TS EASY TO DO), WILL NOT HARM THE VALUE OF A COIN FROM THE GROUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IS EVERYONE ON PAGE 1 OF " METAL DETECTING 101"?

Nice, All caps... hmm, anger issues?

I do think everyone knows it was dug & where the green patina comes from.

"Discussion constantly" maybe its because its important and people care about great coins.

That was not the question. Cleaning was, I stand by my advise. If you don't like it don't take it.
Where does it say in Metal detecting 101, peroxide is the way to clean coins. I missed that part.
It certainly doesn't say that in the collecting world. I was not the only one to advise this was not a good idea.
Improper cleaning can devalue a coin, don't take my world ask any certified dealer.

DirtDodger

Mar 13, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see your point, but you were quick to jump in to reply to question my advice and I do this for a living. I can back up anything I say because I live it day to day.

I see your point also, I never meant nothin personal, you have my respect...only wanted to whats best for the coin.

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds!!!
:goldtrophy:
Joe

Top Member Reactions