Silver today, but what the heck happened to him...

TheGeorgiaCanuck

Oct 20, 2011
Surrey, BC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a silver quarter today, but I did not realize what I had till I got home and cleaned it.

DSC00708A.jpg
DSC00711A.jpg

Tell me if you don't think this looks like someone hit it with acid. At least after some baking soda I could see poor ole George V and some writing and the date on the back.

1919 George V Twenty Five cents. The scratches on the front I must have done, it was wedged under a pine tree root and I didn't know what I had till it flew out of the hole. Even then it looked like some kind of white aluminum token. So i just tossed it in my pouch and kept hunting.

Full sized pics here:
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd202/Lar_Gand/DSC00708.jpg
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd202/Lar_Gand/DSC00711.jpg

Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The closest silver coins I have to your find are ones that have been unprotected in the ocean for a very long time.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fire damage :thumbsup:

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found quite a few like that... All have been in the water for some time. Some have been in the ocean.. some in a lake.

The ones in the lake almost always have a source of pollution [or did have in times past] that caused a chemical reaction thus resulting in 'your' coin

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
bartholomewroberts said:
I have found quite a few like that... All have been in the water for some time. Some have been in the ocean.. some in a lake.

The ones in the lake almost always have a source of pollution [or did have in times past] that caused a chemical reaction thus resulting in 'your' coin

Those guys are no doubt right about the chemical reaction of salt water etc., but when I saw the photo, my first thought was it had been run over a time or two by an iron tired wagon. I've found minnie balls that have been flattened by being run over in rocky soil.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I vote fire damage. probably in burning trash or a camp fire

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread