🥇 BANNER What an amazing day - gold coin/colonial silver and copper/US box plate & more!!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Just got permission for a new colonial site that I've had my eye on for some time. No, this is not the holy grail site I referred to in my last post, but the way it turned out it might as well have been. As I was driving down the lane approaching the house a beautiful bald eagle flew directly in front of my truck so things were starting out right. Then the first signal I got when I walked out in the field was a NY cuff button that fell apart in my hand, but that was still a good sign. After that I wandered around for a bit without finding much, then ventured to another part of the property where I found a musketball, then a 3-ringer and an eagle button not long after. So I decided to hunker down in that spot for a while. As I usually do at colonial sites I dig all non-ferrous targets as many of the tombacs, other small buttons, buckle pieces, etc, often come in quite low on the conductivity scale. As a result I end up digging loads of lead buck shot which I was certainly doing yesterday. I got another one of those hits, maybe just a tad higher on the scale of my F75, and it was a very consistent 27. I knew it was very shallow so I stuck my shovel in at a low angle, then flipped the 2-inch scraping upside down. Immediately I saw a beautiful gold coin staring back at me. I was lucky I didn't hit it with the shovel. I eventually had the nerve to actually touch it, and it turned out to be a gorgeous 1852 one dollar gold piece. I was stunned to say the least. Took me a while to get my wits about myself, then I started hunting the same area a little more slowly. I think I dug one more bullet, then got another nice deep sounding bullet signal. Dug a fairly deep hole (12") and the target was still in the bottom. Finally I got it out and was looking at the back of what I thought was a large pewter spoon. But it was quite heavy. I flipped it over and started scraping the wet dirt out with my fingers when that magical "US" started to appear and I realized I had just unearthed my first US boxplate complete with lead backing. What a hunt this was turning out to be! Later in the day I found a nice piece of cut silver which completed the trifecta. I also dug a nice assortment of other colonial and CW relics including a colonial hoe I pulled from a trash pit. When I was cleaning the finds this afternoon I noticed that what I thought was another beat up NY button turned out to be a Mass coat, also a first for me. And to top things off I thought I saw some writing around the edge of one of the large flat buttons, and after putting it in a warm hydrogen peroxide bath for a while I could see the word "Carolus" so I knew I had dug a spanish colonial copper. Anyway, it was an incredible day that I won't soon forget. This is probably my best hunt ever aside from the 2 days I found the twin hammered silver caches 4 years ago. HH to all!

Attachments

• 031712b.JPG
    031712b.JPG
    308 KB · Views: 4,031
  • 031712c.JPG
    031712c.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 3,344
  • 031712d.JPG
    031712d.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 3,347
  • 031712e.JPG
    031712e.JPG
    322.6 KB · Views: 3,294
  • 031712f.JPG
    031712f.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 3,371
  • 031712g.JPG
    031712g.JPG
    228.4 KB · Views: 3,323
  • 031712h.JPG
    031712h.JPG
    192.1 KB · Views: 3,323
  • 031712i.JPG
    031712i.JPG
    192.4 KB · Views: 3,343
  • 031712j.JPG
    031712j.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 3,332
  • 031712k.JPG
    031712k.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 3,423
  • 031712a.JPG
    031712a.JPG
    309.3 KB · Views: 4,021
Upvote 10

VB Sanddigger

Sep 6, 2008
Suffolk, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: What an amazing day - gold coin/colonial silver and copper/US box plate & more!!

WOW, WOW, WOW. Great finds!

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: What an amazing day - gold coin/colonial silver and copper/US box plate & more!!

Awesome day.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Of all gold coins recovered the small denominations are the rarer.They come in very faint and often a cruddy signal.I would think given the small size they were easily lost,so I am led to beleive they are often missed.Glad you didnt!! :thumbsup:

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Holy cow !! that is a great hunt and a Banner find some days you just cant go wrong :headbang: any more gold up there and a armed guard will be needed :icon_thumleft: Jim

CC Hunter

Aug 7, 2004
Timbuktu
Detector(s) used
Magnet on a Stick

That is an absolutely Beautiful Gold Dollar! :o

Congratulations on a successful day and then some!!!

CC

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Terrific outing Bill. That is what we go out to find, and you got a portion of it all. :occasion14:

CSA2K

Jan 24, 2012
Winchester VA
Detector(s) used
This Minelab and this Pro-Pointer.. and that's all I need
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Phenomenal!

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

WOW!!!!! :icon_thumright: and I'm voting banner too! found gold coin- great find! :headbang:

DirtDodger

Mar 13, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Banner :headbang:

What a pretty coin... congrads!

U

umrgolf

:o I'm amazed at that one :headbang: that's as pretty as it gets, Bill :headbang: :headbang: congrats!!

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is a dream hunt !! Super finds :headbang:
Glen

Threshold

Mar 3, 2012
Riverside, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garret Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Beaiful coin!

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds

As all have said to me that is one AWESOME DAY Congrats on BANNER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :icon_thumleft:

Bubba65

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow! what an awesome day! Good job!!!

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro

Congrats on a amazing haul of nice Relics :icon_thumright: ! Love the US gold coin :headbang: !

TommNJ

M

mikusek

It was there to kick and you KICKED it!!!!!! Congrats..... outstanding day. :hello2:

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oh my god! :o

Missouri_John

Nov 27, 2006
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT

Very nice finds!!!!!!!!! Your gold looks just like the 1852-O $1 gold i bought 2 months ago........only yours is cooler since you dug it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions