🥇 BANNER What an amazing day - gold coin/colonial silver and copper/US box plate & more!!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Just got permission for a new colonial site that I've had my eye on for some time. No, this is not the holy grail site I referred to in my last post, but the way it turned out it might as well have been. As I was driving down the lane approaching the house a beautiful bald eagle flew directly in front of my truck so things were starting out right. Then the first signal I got when I walked out in the field was a NY cuff button that fell apart in my hand, but that was still a good sign. After that I wandered around for a bit without finding much, then ventured to another part of the property where I found a musketball, then a 3-ringer and an eagle button not long after. So I decided to hunker down in that spot for a while. As I usually do at colonial sites I dig all non-ferrous targets as many of the tombacs, other small buttons, buckle pieces, etc, often come in quite low on the conductivity scale. As a result I end up digging loads of lead buck shot which I was certainly doing yesterday. I got another one of those hits, maybe just a tad higher on the scale of my F75, and it was a very consistent 27. I knew it was very shallow so I stuck my shovel in at a low angle, then flipped the 2-inch scraping upside down. Immediately I saw a beautiful gold coin staring back at me. I was lucky I didn't hit it with the shovel. I eventually had the nerve to actually touch it, and it turned out to be a gorgeous 1852 one dollar gold piece. I was stunned to say the least. Took me a while to get my wits about myself, then I started hunting the same area a little more slowly. I think I dug one more bullet, then got another nice deep sounding bullet signal. Dug a fairly deep hole (12") and the target was still in the bottom. Finally I got it out and was looking at the back of what I thought was a large pewter spoon. But it was quite heavy. I flipped it over and started scraping the wet dirt out with my fingers when that magical "US" started to appear and I realized I had just unearthed my first US boxplate complete with lead backing. What a hunt this was turning out to be! Later in the day I found a nice piece of cut silver which completed the trifecta. I also dug a nice assortment of other colonial and CW relics including a colonial hoe I pulled from a trash pit. When I was cleaning the finds this afternoon I noticed that what I thought was another beat up NY button turned out to be a Mass coat, also a first for me. And to top things off I thought I saw some writing around the edge of one of the large flat buttons, and after putting it in a warm hydrogen peroxide bath for a while I could see the word "Carolus" so I knew I had dug a spanish colonial copper. Anyway, it was an incredible day that I won't soon forget. This is probably my best hunt ever aside from the 2 days I found the twin hammered silver caches 4 years ago. HH to all!

Attachments

• 031712b.JPG
    031712b.JPG
    308 KB · Views: 4,031
  • 031712c.JPG
    031712c.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 3,344
  • 031712d.JPG
    031712d.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 3,347
  • 031712e.JPG
    031712e.JPG
    322.6 KB · Views: 3,294
  • 031712f.JPG
    031712f.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 3,371
  • 031712g.JPG
    031712g.JPG
    228.4 KB · Views: 3,323
  • 031712a.JPG
    031712a.JPG
    309.3 KB · Views: 4,021
  • 031712k.JPG
    031712k.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 3,423
  • 031712j.JPG
    031712j.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 3,332
  • 031712i.JPG
    031712i.JPG
    192.4 KB · Views: 3,343
  • 031712h.JPG
    031712h.JPG
    192.1 KB · Views: 3,323
Upvote 10

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: What an amazing day - gold coin/colonial silver and copper/US box plate & more!!

dang!
that last picture is a banner shot if i ever saw one.
great hunt. what a fantastic site. :headbang:

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: What an amazing day - gold coin/colonial silver and copper/US box plate & more!!

my god :o

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX

Wow!!!!!!

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works

Not sure there is enough room on the Banner for more gold.
Oh well hop on up . :icon_thumleft:

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other

Wow, I can only dream of a day like that :o

Nice finds :icon_thumleft:

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Amazing finds Bill that gold coin is a stunner! Congrats on the plate as well.

Definitely Banner worthy, you have my vote.
-Evan

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

AMAZING day is right :headbang: (my vote is in) :thumbsup:

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Banner!!!

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

That is a great day of digging! Is there any more room on top for gold coins?

oldsalty19

Silver Member
May 29, 2011
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:headbang: beautiful gold coin

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A high better than drugs ain't it! I dug my best and most valuable silver coin in much the same way you did the gold and I too was pretty lucky I didn't smoke it.

I have three fields I'm anxious to hit this Spring, and two I've been waiting to do for years. If the results are anywhere close to that I'd call it a successful Spring.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My day would have ended with that gold coin because I would have had to go home and change!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Holy Cow what hunt! that is nothing short of awesome. congrats!

Attachments

• holy-cow.jpg
    holy-cow.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 2,175
  • holy-cow.jpg
    holy-cow.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 2,085

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Outstanding :headbang: Just another day in the life of Bill D. :laughing9:

My banner vote is in :thumbsup:

CladMagnet

Oct 21, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

WOW!!!JUST WOW!!!!!

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009

Quite the little spot of gold, Bill. That's a nice and difficult find to make. Hardest thing to find next to a three cent piece.
And, since gold rarely misses the banner, your little dot should do the same. Congrats.

BTW, looks like a nice spot. Keep showing those superb finds.

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is just awesome ! Nice going on the Gold Coin .
I think you have found a very good spot to be hunting at.

Good Luck on more finds .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread