1788 Connecticut Copper and King George II Copper today!!!Pic update!
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    us
    Dec 2011
    Winchester, VA.
    Garrett AT Pro, 8.5"x11" DD coil, Super Sniper coil, Garrett Ace 250, 10" x 14" DD EXcelerator coil, Pro Pinpointer
    563 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

1788 Connecticut Copper and King George II Copper today!!!Pic update!

Wow! I had no idea i was going to go out today and find a old copper, but i found two!!!. I was hunting today on a property in Boyce,Va. on a 1800's farm, with a church that was built in 1810 bordering the property. I was in the field by the church when i found a large flat button, i was thinking now im in the right spot. almost 1 hr went by before i came acrossed the Connecticut which gave me a solid $1 signal 4 inches down, i was thinking it was going to be a silver, but to my surprise out popped a big copper. I was unable to read anything on it untill i got home and was able to clean it and say to words Connec. and my heart skipped a beat! About 20 feet from the Connecticut i got another good signal just a little bouncy, but i dug it. I could not believe when i got it out and i could see a outline of face. I had a water bottle on me so i ran some water on it, then i saw George. Wow i could not believe that i had found a King George copper. I searched that area hard with no luck, so i started walking up towards the house when i came acrossed another big flat button. I found nothing else besides the broche thing with the "diamonds" in it. any help on that would be great. After i got home and could research on the coins i found that the Connecticut was a "Snipe Nose" variety. http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColC...opper87-2.html The King George II was made (17271760) and was a Farthing. http://www.petitioncrown.com/GEORGE_II_COINS.html
    Its werid that the two coins have the same reverse design.

Thanks for looking and HH.
    Ryan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Old coppers 3-18-12 016.JPG 
Views:	805 
Size:	292.1 KB 
ID:	617729   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Old coppers 3-18-12 021.JPG 
Views:	815 
Size:	297.1 KB 
ID:	617730   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Old coppers 3-18-12 022.JPG 
Views:	804 
Size:	290.3 KB 
ID:	617731   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Old coppers 3-18-12 024.JPG 
Views:	901 
Size:	297.4 KB 
ID:	617732   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Old coppers 3-18-12 025.JPG 
Views:	891 
Size:	297.3 KB 
ID:	617733  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Old coppers 3-18-12 026.JPG 
Views:	863 
Size:	295.8 KB 
ID:	617734   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Old coppers 3-18-12 027.JPG 
Views:	859 
Size:	325.4 KB 
ID:	617735   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Old coppers 3-18-12 028.JPG 
Views:	841 
Size:	292.0 KB 
ID:	617736  
    If it sounds good, Dig It

us
    Dec 2011
    Coeur D'Alene, Idaho
    DFX 300, XP Deus, Equinox 800
    258 times
    Metal Detecting

Re: 1787 Connecticut Copper and King George II Copper today!!!

Great digs!
    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
    Arthur Schopenhauer

us
    Dec 2011
    Winchester, VA.
    Garrett AT Pro, 8.5"x11" DD coil, Super Sniper coil, Garrett Ace 250, 10" x 14" DD EXcelerator coil, Pro Pinpointer
    563 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Thanks,
    Anybody know how to get the crutsy stuff off without messing the coin up more. The Connecticut had a lot on the back were the date would be. It would be nice to get that off to confirm the date. thanks.
    ryan.

us
    Apr 2011
    Ohio
    Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
    689 times
    Relic Hunting

Fantastic finds!!!

us
    Tuberale

May 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    White's Coinmaster Pro
    3420 times

WTG!!! Any day out with George and Connec. is one GREAT day, especially for those of us stuck in the western hinterlands.<G>

You asked about cleaning: toothpicks and acetone would be my suggestion. I've seen some great examples here, and hope someone else give you a better answer. Soaking for several weeks in extra virgin olive oil is another.

That Connec. is a BEAUT!

us
    Jul 2010
    SS of MA.
    Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
    90 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Looks like a great place. Are CT coppers rare down there?

us
    Dec 2011
    Winchester, VA.
    563 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazySlasher
    Looks like a great place. Are CT coppers rare down there?
    I'm not sure, i hope to find a few more the next time i can go out. My cousin found a King George III last year, so they may be a little more common to find around here.
    Also i thought the KGII was a farthing, but could it be a halfpenny? i was looking at another post and it looked just like mine but they called it a halfpenny.

us
    Jan 2009
    Shenandoah Valley Virginia
    AT Pro
    880 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Very, very nice Ryan!! Let me know if you have room for one more on your next hunt out this way
    "For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." Stuart Chase

Congrats on getting two old coppers, the Conn is not a 1787 Snipe Nose, it looks like it is a 1788 and it might be either a common M.16.3-N variety or a Extremely Rare M.16.7-P variety. Hopefully I will get verification sooner than later, but I am fairly certain it is one of the Miller 16 varieties.
    IDing ground found Conn coppers can be a challenge, usually the photos posted do not show all the detail needed for a positive ID.

The KGII is a Halfpenny and not a Farthing.

Don
    "The mantra has always been don't clean a (copper) coin or it will lose value.
    For undug coins this is true. For dug coins this is untrue.
    The value will increase with judicious cleaning."

us
    Jul 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Fisher F75, XP Deus, Fisher 1270
    10254 times
    Banner Finds (3)

Nice to dig those old coppers! Congratulations
    Spanish Silver Totals
    Cut Pieces = 20
    Half Reals = 30
    1 Reals = 11
    2 Reales = 6
    8 Reales = 1
    2 Reale Cobs = 2
    Other Early Silver Coins
    1797 & 1803 Draped Bust Dimes
    1830 Capped Bust 5 cents
    1827 Capped Bust dime
    1661 Hammered silver King Leopold
    1697 William III 6-pence
    Rev War Buttons
    3rd Battalion PA, Hartley's Regiment, USA, (4) 18th Royal Irish, (2) Rattlesnake & Stars
    Civil War Plates
    VA Militia Cross Belt, CS Tongue, CS Wreath, VMM, US Box, Model 1851 Sword, Militia Plate w/Star

Jun 2006
    connecticut
    205 times
    Banner Finds (2)

very nice finds , congrats

Quote Originally Posted by Don in SJ
    Congrats on getting two old coppers, the Conn is not a 1787 Snipe Nose, it looks like it is a 1788 and it might be either a common M.16.3-N variety or a Extremely Rare M.16.7-P variety. Hopefully I will get verification sooner than later, but I am fairly certain it is one of the Miller 16 varieties.
    IDing ground found Conn coppers can be a challenge, usually the photos posted do not show all the detail needed for a positive ID.

Don
    Don it looks more closely to the
    Miller 16.7 than the 16.3 to me

Quote Originally Posted by leddel

Don
    Yes, I have been leaning that way all along, but hate to get hopes up for people since it could be a very common variety but all the comparison photos I have looked at tells me M.16.7-P, (no need to see the reverse since P is the only match). Shame the reverse does not have as much detail, my one catalog says only approximately 12 known, (C-4 Auction Catalog Dec 2006)which even for a Conn with their zillion varieties is special. I have not received any replies from some of the C4 guys who know Conn coppers, surprised at no reply.

Don
    "The mantra has always been don't clean a (copper) coin or it will lose value.
    For undug coins this is true. For dug coins this is untrue.
    The value will increase with judicious cleaning."

us
    Dec 2011
    Winchester, VA.
    563 times
    Banner Finds (1)

wow thanks for all the posts, thank you. I sure hope its the rare Miller 16.7 variety, i would never sell it but sure would be awesome to find such a rare coin.

Quote Originally Posted by deepsecrets
    Very, very nice Ryan!! Let me know if you have room for one more on your next hunt out this way
    Yea i will have to let you know when i go back out, maybe not this weekend but the next weekend. I'll PM you when the time gets closer.

Quote Originally Posted by leddel

Don
    Yes, I have been leaning that way all along, but hate to get hopes up for people since it could be a very common variety but all the comparison photos I have looked at tells me M.16.7-P, (no need to see the reverse since P is the only match). Shame the reverse does not have as much detail, my one catalog says only approximately 12 known, (C-4 Auction Catalog Dec 2006)which even for a Conn with their zillion varieties is special. I have not received any replies from some of the C4 guys who know Conn coppers, surprised at no reply.

Don
    Thanks so much for the info Leddel and Don in SJ. I am new to I.D.ing old coppers since i have never found one before. I have tried putting it in olive oil for a few days to try and get some of the crusty stuff off. and maybe it will clean it up a little better to make it easier to I.D.

us
    Sep 2004
    Rhode Island
    Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, & Garrett Pro-Pointer
    29 times

Re: 1788 Connecticut Copper and King George II Copper today!!!

Nice!!!

Joe
    Joe

us
    real pirate

May 2011
    NE Ohio
    Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
    200 times

Re: 1788 Connecticut Copper and King George II Copper today!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links