Last edited:
Upvote 6

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner considerations have evolved immensely in past few years from my own observations. Only a few years ago items we see routinely these days were making banners all the time ie Spanish reales and such, of course, significant finds were too; but nowadays it's the cream of the crop making it, as it should be. Extremely rare and obscure finds weren't brought to the forefront as readily. We can now attribute better banners with shared knowledge and better posting guidelines to help identify these finds. But it all boils down to what the general voting public want to see. These days people pull the banner trigger without hesitation, although not all finds are considered, many are still voted for without knowing or showing the background and significance of the find. Even having said that, many great finds just don't get enough recognition in their own respect, a good example might be finding a super military button the day someone else posts say a cache of gold coins, gems get buried and shoved out the spotlight. One might call that one the downsides to being part of a huge detecting community such as this one.
Best way to have/ make banners is to be lucky enough to make the finds and be a good "salesman" for your product(find); it's not going to get easier from what I've been seeing, only a little more difficult, which I feel is good. So, hopefully we can see some more awesome finds up top and hopefully another nice old rare state copper soon!

In my opinion it's great that the Banner is getting tougher and tougher. It should be! I know that I always said if I ever made the Banner I wanted it to be an absolute no doubter. I didn't want something that people had to be convinced to vote for. If people have to think about it or be convinced it's not Banner worthy in my opinion. Needless to say I was very happy that my first was a no doubter and the people I respect on here the most didn't hesitate. I hope the trend continues of it being harder and harder

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IH,

I tend to agree.....some of it is just timing sometimes a big whack of people make some great finds close together.

I know my tendency is to vote based on rarity even if it doesn't have a high dollar value but that's just me....others are drawn by bling, some by relics, buttons, etc....it's a bit of a crap shoot really.

The banner to my mind has value because people are being recognized by their peers.

Regards + HH

Bill

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
In my opinion it's great that the Banner is getting tougher and tougher. It should be! I know that I always said if I ever made the Banner I wanted it to be an absolute no doubter. I didn't want something that people had to be convinced to vote for. If people have to think about it or be convinced it's not Banner worthy in my opinion. Needless to say I was very happy that my first was a no doubter and the people I respect on here the most didn't hesitate. I hope the trend continues of it being harder and harder

Yep, it is always nice to see the no brainers separated from, uh, the no brainers lol

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
IH,

I tend to agree.....some of it is just timing sometimes a big whack of people make some great finds close together.

I know my tendency is to vote based on rarity even if it doesn't have a high dollar value but that's just me....others are drawn by bling, some by relics, buttons, etc....it's a bit of a crap shoot really.

The banner to my mind has value because people are being recognized by their peers.

Regards + HH

Bill

Although restrictions exist, yes ultimately it is recognition by our peers. Dollar amounts to me as well are immaterial; but it does gauge some finds from others that are worth big bucks because of their rarity. And timing is everything to some things but I've also seen some sleepers come alive and excel.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, it is always nice to see the no brainers separated from, uh, the no brainers lol

Well said lol. Let me ask you this. Does the totality of finds on a single hunt ever qualify for a banner? To me is does not. Unless of course it's a horde of silver coins or something similar. But to me it has to be an individual find that is worthy. For instance one hunt I dug a 1782 2 Reales, an 1877 seated dime, an 1821 LC and an 18th century brass pistol barrel. Yes I was psyched with a bunch of great finds and a couple folks mentioned banner but none of those are rare or special enough to make it on it's own. So I'm glad it didn't get more votes. Now I've set the bar high but hope the next one is comparable if not better. NE Shilling :laughing7:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well said lol. Let me ask you this. Does the totality of finds on a single hunt ever qualify for a banner? To me is does not. Unless of course it's a horde of silver coins or something similar. But to me it has to be an individual find that is worthy. For instance one hunt I dug a 1782 2 Reales, an 1877 seated dime, an 1821 LC and an 18th century brass pistol barrel. Yes I was psyched with a bunch of great finds and a couple folks mentioned banner but none of those are rare or special enough to make it on it's own. So I'm glad it didn't get more votes. Now I've set the bar high but hope the next one is comparable if not better. NE Shilling :laughing7:

I think if you had several finds on one hunt that were just a little below banner I could see there being a good case made for it. Plus if it was a good story, good post... those types have made it up.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds

I've often wondered myself, a diamond in a pile of rocks or a single feather on a bird. Although we rate some of our finds as personal banners its the one of a kinds that are stand outs and the collection from an award winning site that elevate something from the mundane to the truly exceptional.
You could recover a winner every week from different places and still only garner one spot, or fill a wheelbarrow in an afternoon and receive the same recognition

Aug 18, 2013
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus W/11" coil and 9" HF coil, Garrett AT Pro W/5x8 coil
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find and defiantly banner material if it had been identified sooner. Good luck on the auction!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread