Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a little Friday the 13th hangover today...or more like it...a good dose of REALITY. Had a full day of detecting planned with some great sites to hit. First was early this a.m...was bound for an old steamboat landing where there was a hotel and a couple of old foundations, ran into my wife's uncle on the way and he needed a hand doing a few things, which took care of this a.m. Once done with him I had to go play Mr. Mom for a couple hours with my son while wife and daughter went to church. Next up was an old "ghost town", another island with about 10 old foundations from old farms and cottages also an old hotel that burned down in the 1800's. The Navy also used this island as a recreation area in the war...had clam bakes and lobster feeds there for over 10,000 men total (a few hundred at a time) during 1944,old bowling alleys, boxing rings, baseball fields etc. Went there with high expectations (my first mistake, broke rule #1...expect nothing while hunting). Without a boat the island is only accesible at low tide where you can walk across a sand bar to get there, whcih gives you a few hours before the tide comes back in and covers the bar. Got over there and scouted around, big problems....the bittersweet vines were so thick, you could hardly walk without getting snarled up and tripped up, never mind swing a detector. Did get a good hike in and scouted around for where to go in the spring when every is dead and matted down from the snow. Left there before the tide got too high and decided to hit an area that has been producing well, spent a couple hours there and found 1 wheatie...nothing else. Finally decided the day was gonna be non-productive and came home and split wood. Been on a roll the last few weeks and have gotten spoiled with my finds, so I needed a good dose of reality and have a normal day where not much is found. Despite all that, had a great day, weather was nice and got plans for getting out for a while at daylight come morning, for tomorrow is another day..:):)

Upvote 0

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Yep, back to reality. :D I always try to keep my expectations low but some sites sound so good it's hard not to get excited. Metal detecting is a funny thing cause you have those good days and then you have those bad days. And then you have those great days. ;D

From your recent posts I think you the odds were stacked against you. It's hard to maintain a homerun streak. I think you accumulated more good finds in a week than a lot of us get in a year.

I think you will bounce back quickly. ;D Good luck.

Mirage

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread