Canefield Bandits: KEY DATE Seated, 1812 Button, and SPANISH #10!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I can't figure out how to post videos from YouTube on the forum just yet, but I will still provide you with a great CaneField Bandits Soundtrack here:

;D

Went diggin with Shanegalang today, and the conditions were horrible. Low 80s temps with loads of sun and 100% humidity. With a foot of rain having fallen this week, the mud was unbelievable. Sucking, sticky, mucky mud.

So all day it was slogging around with 10 lbs of mud on each boot and a shovel that weighed twice its normal weight, digging holes in the bottoms of cane rows that immediately filled with water, and finding out targets stuck to our shovels, shoes, and gloves. This honestly was the worst I'd seen out here. Then there were the mosquitos and swarms of gnats. :( Oh, and Shane killed a water moccasin today with his shovel in the field. He came up to me with the headless snake hanging by its tail out of his glove, saying "Look what I killed." ::)

Well, we jumped in the fields for a 7-hour assault by the bugs, heat, and mud. Right out of the starting gate, I got a nice, sweet coin signal (these are usually can slaw or big brass or lead chunks). When I located the target, I was shocked to see silver shining through! I had been in the field for less than 15 minutes at that point, and I yelled over to Shane to take a look. :) I could tell it was a Seated Dime, but I didn't rinse it off until much later, when I discovered that it was an 1838-O (no stars)!

Seated2-1.jpg

After doing a cajun two-step with 20lbs of mud on our feet, it was back to diggin. We hit a dry spell. I dug a few musketballs, and he eyeballed some pipe stems and dug a few flat buttons. Then I got a nice CW Enfield bullet (plain base). :thumbsup:

I wandered into an area that has never given us much in the way of finds, thinking I might make a half-mile pass all the way through that section of the field. When I got on the first row, I dug a flat button. :) Then it was a LONG dry stretch of about 3/10ths of a mile. Then I got a decent little aluminum signal in the side of a cane row. When I dug down I saw this:

Reale2-1.jpg

I thought there was a chance it might be the little aluminum piece that pulltaps punch in on cans, but it looked alot like a coin. I started getting excited. Snapped the photos, and then removed a chunk of mud or two in order to bring SPANISH SILVER #10 from this field to the light of day for the first time in over 200 years. :hello2:

I decided to grid that area of the field, hoping for more finds. I looked over and saw Shane in the distance swinging away. The sun got lower in the sky, and the mosquitoes and gnats intensified. Ugh. I got nothing in that area, finished up the grid finally, and heard something that sounded like a wounded waterfowl far away in the field. "AAAAIEEEEEEEE!" I saw Shane coming toward me with a big grin. He'd just dug his first military button: War of 1812 Artillery. :thumbsup:

Artillery2-1.jpg

This is the 3rd 1812 Artillery button from this field, and it is now obvious that there will be a few more to find. Like 3 more. Or 4. :wink:

We could tell by the killer gilding on the back that this would be a fantastic button. Here's the happy finder

Shane and Button-1.jpg

The sun set, and tired and happy we left the Field of Dreams once again, with our pockets full of great finds and the next hunt already on our minds.

Here are the finds. First off, Shane's finds. (Knee buckle?, musketballs, 1812 Artillery, clay pipe stems...) I couldn't fit in a photo of my total finds for the day (1838-O Seated, 178(?) Half Real, Enfield, etc., so it appears down a few replies in the thread. But the rest of the great photos are just below. :)

ShaneAll.JPG

MORE PHOTOS BELOW IN THE FIRST REPLY!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Half Real: Worn, bent, AND holed, but still a great find. I can see 178_? If anyone can see the last digit in the date, your help is appreciated. :)

r2-1.jpg

r3-1.jpg

Shane's BEAUTIFUL 1812 Artillery. (I may work a little magic on this one. I still see gold hiding. ;D

ARTCLEANED.JPG

And last but not least, I finally got my 1838 today. Been wanting one for a long time. No Stars Variety, XF-details, and the New Orleans mintmark! This is a great coin, and the photos don't do it justice. I can see all the lines in the shield, both vertical and horizontal. Only a touch of wear on the tops of Liberty's knees. Would be worth a nice sum if it weren't for the plow dings. Total mintage: just over 400,000. 8)

sf-1.jpg

se-1.jpg

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Last edited:
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a group shot of my finds. Couldn't fit it in up above without spilling into the 3rd reply.

All-1.jpg

Aarong81

Tenderfoot
Mar 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(((((My Half Real: Worn, bent, AND holed, but still a great find. I can see 178_? If anyone can see the last digit in the date, your help is appreciated. )))))

I definitely see 1784. AWESOME finds!!!!!

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You all made some really awesome finds there :thumbsup: I found a war of 1812 malitia button with the cannon, stack of balls and eagle on the reverse a couple years back. I read 1784 as well on the half reale.

Last edited:

Nutriasub

Nov 16, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Garret Pro Pointer
Looks like 1789 to me, congrats on a great hunt, although the mud and the critters!!
cheers

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Way to go Buck on the 1785 Half Reales, the 1838 Seated is a sweet find too.
Good to see Shane find a great button as well.
You two muckers better get back out there today and find some more.

HB

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Very nice finds Will. I've been watching all the posts you've made hunting with Shane and I must say, you guys have been busy. Keep at it, there's alot of history in that area.

Looking forward to more posts. And, that Cajun food and music is awesome.

Good luck to the CANE FIELD BANDITS.

And by the way, have you tried the mud bugs yet?

hdmech71

Jan 25, 2012
wv
Detector(s) used
F75 se / Minelab Soveriogn / sunray probe/ whites classic Id/ pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I figure the bugs are going to be a big problem up here this year as well. Hardly had any winter up here. Anyway, looks like you came out with another good hunt and congrats and your finds. Love the silver and that button is killer.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds indeed, you guys really worked for these ones.
Always love to read your posts.
ZDD

raycan

Mar 8, 2009
Texarkana, Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT,Spectra V3I, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you really had to work hard for your finds, but it paid off. Good looking finds. Congratulations.

Tonytone1437

Nov 14, 2010
Delaware/Chadds Ford Pa
Detector(s) used
Explorer ii, Fisher F70, XLT Spectrum, DFX300, Sovereign GT, Sovereign XS2a Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see 1786 i dont know what you people are looking at lol.... Guess my Young eyes see a little better

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Buddy,
In my excitement about finding the old button I was incorrect in stating that it was my first military, remember the WW1 button I found recently? I almost forgot about it but this one is my oldest and of course most special. We need to be hitting it hard while it's still "cool", the hot weather hasnt even begun :( Had fun as usual and thanks for the button cleaning advice. Cheers, Shane Ga Bandit

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! I love the button, and Spanish silver in any condition is always a welcomed addition!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread