Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 1798 U.S. Large Cent - Thoughts?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1

    1798 U.S. Large Cent - Thoughts?

    Well I didn't get in much detecting last year at all and was pretty disappointed by that. Hopefully this year will be different, although it's certainly not starting that way. We have had beautiful weather for the last couple of weeks and I have been too busy to get out much. I found an 1802 large cent (my oldest) a couple of weeks ago while visiting family. I finally got out here at home and hit a site I discovered last year where I found several Conneticut Coppers and a Vermont Copper. Unfortunately it has not been plowed and was hit pretty hard, but I figured I would try my luck. Detected for about an hour and a half and came up with this sucker out of the iron. It's not in bad shape and now my oldest large cent I have found. I was praying it was a flowing hair but looks like I missed it by a couple of years.

    Can anyone give me an idea of the variety? I have no clue and it may be tough to tell due to some wear. Based on the _ under the "1" and above the "100" I can tell it's not the normal variety.

    Thanks for looking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC07832.JPG 
Views:	248 
Size:	155.2 KB 
ID:	619291   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC07823.JPG 
Views:	241 
Size:	153.8 KB 
ID:	619290   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC07845.JPG 
Views:	243 
Size:	151.4 KB 
ID:	619289   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC07838.JPG 
Views:	247 
Size:	136.0 KB 
ID:	619288   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC07836.JPG 
Views:	245 
Size:	152.4 KB 
ID:	619287  

    Velox Versutus Vigilans

  2. #2

    Jun 2007
    MA NH seacoast
    what ever works
    805
    15 times
    Still a nice find

  3. #3
    us
    Mar 2011
    Massachusetts
    Minelab Explorer SE Pro
    143
    5 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    She's a beauty! I dont have much info on the variety but was actually wondering if you cleaned it in any way because it looks amazing. I pulled a matron large cent last night and it was completely toasted except for the one cent on the back. Do you use olive oil?
    -MDT

  4. #4
    us
    Feb 2012
    New Hampshire
    White's Coinmaster
    13
    1 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Nice Find!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by metaldetectingtaylor View Post
    She's a beauty! I dont have much info on the variety but was actually wondering if you cleaned it in any way because it looks amazing. I pulled a matron large cent last night and it was completely toasted except for the one cent on the back. Do you use olive oil?
    -MDT
    Thanks very much. I used peroxide and some blue ribbon coin conditioner.
    Velox Versutus Vigilans

  6. #6
    I sent some photo's off to a guy who is an expert in terms of large cents. Turns out mine is an S-179. "Very common". Ah well, still fun to find and not too common in Canada. It's my oldest U.S. large cent thus far and am happy to have found it. No for a flowing hair!
    Dirkdigger likes this.
    Velox Versutus Vigilans

  7. #7
    us
    Sep 2004
    Rhode Island
    Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, & Garrett Pro-Pointer
    719
    28 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Really nice!!

    Joe

  8. #8
    I am glad you contacted a Large Cent guy, I just spent about two hours going through my Breen Encyclopedia book and the closest I could find was a S-165, it matched except the date just did not match up. The reverse was the closest I could find, since hardly any of the Reverses have the Outer pair of leaves overlap the stem below NT in CENT. Only the S-165 showed that in the photos, but like I said the date was just not right, I came back on and saw you got the S-179 attribution, so went right back to my book and the photo is in my opinion the wrong reverse photo, since all of the stem shows at that pair of leaves, however the narrative is correct. So rather unhappy the book photo appears to be wrong. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Eye strain. Anyway, she is a nice conditioned large cent, glad you recovered a beauty like that one.

    Don
    "The mantra has always been don't clean a (copper) coin or it will lose value.
    For undug coins this is true. For dug coins this is untrue.
    The value will increase with judicious cleaning."

  9. #9
    lost hunter
    sweet

  10. #10

    Oct 2009
    Not in Dirtyville
    Minelab Explorer XS and SE
    1,409
    193 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Great to see you found a new old one...got a feeling older ones are coming your way

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Don in SJ View Post
    I am glad you contacted a Large Cent guy, I just spent about two hours going through my Breen Encyclopedia book and the closest I could find was a S-165, it matched except the date just did not match up. The reverse was the closest I could find, since hardly any of the Reverses have the Outer pair of leaves overlap the stem below NT in CENT. Only the S-165 showed that in the photos, but like I said the date was just not right, I came back on and saw you got the S-179 attribution, so went right back to my book and the photo is in my opinion the wrong reverse photo, since all of the stem shows at that pair of leaves, however the narrative is correct. So rather unhappy the book photo appears to be wrong. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Eye strain. Anyway, she is a nice conditioned large cent, glad you recovered a beauty like that one.

    Don
    I was figuring and hoping you would have some advice or input on this piece Don. You're a wealth of knowledge on the old coins and always helpful. I appreciate you taking the time to look into it as usual. I sent off the images to the large cent guy right when I posted it here so he got back to me quite quickly.

    I always attempt to check online first to try and attribute it myself, but I find it very difficult and sometimes can't even see the minor differences. Takes a keen eye I guess.

    Thanks again
    Velox Versutus Vigilans

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by The Patriot View Post
    Great to see you found a new old one...got a feeling older ones are coming your way
    Thanks man...and I have high hopes with my upcoming move to New Brunswick. My first day on the job there is 16 Jul which means I will likely be moved and settled around the end of June. I have been doing some research and have come across some VERY promising spots we can check out! Look forward to doing some hunting with you.
    Velox Versutus Vigilans

  13. #13
    1798 is a very tough year, first thing I always look for is if it has a die crack, that makes it much easier, your coin was a stumper for me, but only becuase my literature was in error, would have never thought there could be a wrong photo in Breen's book but sure looks that way. Noyes has the best Large Cent books for identifications, but they are very hard to come by and if you do find them for sale, they are almost always sold as a pair (two books, book one is 1793-1814 and book two covers 1816-1839, I have the second book and the photos and descriptions in that book are way better than the Breen book, but I could not get that earlier year book so Breen's book it is for me..........
    My last large cent I found back in February I thought might be a 1799, but don't you know, the area where the date should be was the worst part for corrosion. After a couple weeks of playing around with photos of it and also sending the photos to one of the previous top collectors of Large Cents, I never heard back from him and I just about gave up and marked it as a 1798, which is more common to find than the very elusive 1799 LC. Well, he just emailed me this week, saying he finally got around to looking at the photos closely and that he could not see any detail that did not match a 1799 Sheldon 189 variety! But, he thinks it is that but cannot be 100% certain without seeing it in person. Well, I took that as good news and now changed my record to say I finally got a 1799, but I will continue looking for other years that might match the same details as the S189 for 1799..... Then I get to think "wish that coin would have been in better shape", without a doubt a desired year for Large Cent collectors..........

    Don
    Last edited by Don in SJ; Mar 24, 2012 at 06:25 PM.
    "The mantra has always been don't clean a (copper) coin or it will lose value.
    For undug coins this is true. For dug coins this is untrue.
    The value will increase with judicious cleaning."

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Don in SJ View Post
    Then I get to think "wish that coin would have been in better shape", without a doubt a desired year for Large Cent collectors..........

    Don
    Well at least you can say you found one! Actually I quickly glanced at the price guidde for large cents before I knew the date on this one...and 1799 stood out for sure based on the value. I had high hopes haha I can't complain. I have found maybe 8 American coins dating to the 1700's...not bad for this area...and one was a beautiful Fugio, this one, and the rest are the Conneticut coppers and a Vermont.
    Velox Versutus Vigilans

  15. #15
    us
    Mar 2012
    Ohio
    White's V3i & DFX
    73
    35 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonialDude View Post
    Well I didn't get in much detecting last year at all and was pretty disappointed by that. Hopefully this year will be different, although it's certainly not starting that way. We have had beautiful weather for the last couple of weeks and I have been too busy to get out much. I found an 1802 large cent (my oldest) a couple of weeks ago while visiting family. I finally got out here at home and hit a site I discovered last year where I found several Conneticut Coppers and a Vermont Copper. Unfortunately it has not been plowed and was hit pretty hard, but I figured I would try my luck. Detected for about an hour and a half and came up with this sucker out of the iron. It's not in bad shape and now my oldest large cent I have found. I was praying it was a flowing hair but looks like I missed it by a couple of years.

    Can anyone give me an idea of the variety? I have no clue and it may be tough to tell due to some wear. Based on the _ under the "1" and above the "100" I can tell it's not the normal variety.

    Thanks for looking.
    Nice coin, there are over 45 Sheldon varieties of this date.

    Sure looks like a Sheldon 179, a common variety.

    Great find.
    Last edited by DirtDodger; Mar 24, 2012 at 06:53 PM.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. 1798 large cent
    By moah4me in forum Today's Finds!
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: Sep 06, 2011, 03:13 PM
  2. 1798 large cent
    By moah4me in forum Coins
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Aug 30, 2011, 06:04 PM
  3. 1798 Large Cent
    By DetectoDude in forum Today's Finds!
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: May 12, 2010, 10:19 AM
  4. Help with varirty on 1798 Large Cent
    By VERMONTPACKRAT in forum What Is It?
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Mar 07, 2010, 09:28 PM
  5. Replies: 35
    Last Post: Sep 15, 2009, 10:37 AM

Search tags for this page

1798 large cent

,

1798 large cent s-187

,

1798 large cent stems

,

1798 us one cent

,

1802 large cent

,

crooked date on 1798 large cent

,

don in sj 1798 coin

,

large cent terrible shape

,

s-187 1798 draped bust large cents for sale

,

us 1798 large cent for 15.00

Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.3