Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FINNALY BROKE INTO THE 1600'S!

Here is a group shot of my last two hunts. Last weekend I picked up the nice 1893 Barber Half, 4 Indian heads, 2 Colonial buttons, and a sash buckle of some sort hunting with Heavymetalnut and Forino. This weekend (yesterday) I was out on a group hunt with some forum members....I pulled this anual fair badge, at first I thought it was a Grand Army of the Republic Medal but after rubbing the bejesus out of it I found otherwise. Still a very cool find and nice to meet some Rhode Island fellas. Before heading home HMN and I had an hour to burn so we decided to swing by an OLD cellar hole he knew of....So we got all set up and started swinging and wouldn't ya know....the very first signal and first 5 minutes of the hunt I had a 1697 William III Half Penny in my pouch. I didn't know at the time what it was but after cleaning it a bit at home my wife came in the kitchen asking me what all the commotion was about....I was doing the happy dance and yippin like a coyote....MY TOP GOAL....1600'S COIN! This is Huge for me and I don't care that it's shot....but just enough detail held onfor me to properly ID it and even get a faint date....What an awesome day. Thanks for lookin folks...I'll be up on cloud nine if ya need me.

Attachments

• IMG_6390_edited-1.JPG
    IMG_6390_edited-1.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 609
Upvote 0

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
nice Jess! glad i could help ya break that barrier! field trip next saturday! woo hoo!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Knew it would happen, and it was definitely sooner than later.

The 1500s ain't quite so easy! :)

OP
OP
Sniffy

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a better shot of the WIlliam

Attachments

• IMG_6394_edited-1.JPG
    IMG_6394_edited-1.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_6395_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_6395_edited-1.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 122

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah-oh.... I can tell you it's not 1697, could be 1699 though.

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
Nice 1600's coin! WTG!!!!

OP
OP
Sniffy

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats... On reaching your goal and nice finds.
it must be 1699 then, during it's peroxide bath the date was visible when the peroxide bubbled up and turned white around the details....169 was definite, not completely sure about last digit, looked like a 7...how can u tell?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sniffy

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it must be 1699 then, during it's peroxide bath the date was visible when the peroxide bubbled up and turned white around the details....169 was definite, not completely sure about last digit, looked like a 7...how can u tell?
oops.

OP
OP
Sniffy

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oops, some of the messages got jumbled....how can you tell? Like i said in the other reply...the 169 was for sure with peroxide.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well that's good, because now you can be certain it's 1699. The reverse is the 3rd issue which only started in 1699. If you look at a 1697 (1st issue) you'll see Britannia's hand held higher.

OP
OP
Sniffy

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well that's good, because now you can be certain it's 1699. The reverse is the 3rd issue which only started in 1699. If you look at a 1697 (1st issue) you'll see Britannia's hand held higher.
You have been a great help all along mr Iron Patch. Thank you. I now see the differences.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oops, some of the messages got jumbled....how can you tell? Like i said in the other reply...the 169 was for sure with peroxide.

Congrats on getting a William, but IP is correct, not a 1697, it is a Type 3 Reverse, (Right Hand on knee versus Right Hand up) which would be 1699-1701 date range.

Don

Attachments

• William III Types.jpg
    William III Types.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You have been a great help all along mr Iron Patch. Thank you. I now see the differences.

All good! I know you would want to know the truth, even if it meant the search for a 1600s coin went on... but luckily it doesn't have to .

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
congrats on reaching your goal.
that one is actually in better shape than
all the WIII's I've dug or seen dug here
in NY. don't know if i've ever gotten a
date from one of mine.
what's next for you?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sniffy

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on reaching your goal.
that one is actually in better shape than
all the WIII's I've dug or seen dug here
in NY. don;t know if i've ever gotten a
date from one of mine.
what's next for you?
My next official goal would be an early regiment button or a GW

OP
OP
Sniffy

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on getting a William, but IP is correct, not a 1697, it is a Type 3 Reverse, (Right Hand on knee versus Right Hand up) which would be 1699-1701 date range.

Don

Thanks alot Don, thats very informative.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread