Large Cent Whizzer Found Near Camp Lawton Prisoner of War Camp

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
I decided to 'take a flyer' yesterday and drive more than three hours at the hope of detecting somewhere near Camp Lawton or the Battle of Buckhead Creek. I was very fortunate to receive permission from a nice landowner -- and the (true) story of driving more than 3 hours each way probably helped sway them. I was having no luck for hours, not even anything old and then started to see some surface debris that looked promising...see photos. Right after I saw the small old bottle pitctured below, the very next signal is all copper and out pops this Large Cent whizzer or buzzer toy. For those who don't know, they would put string through the holes and spin it to make noise. Usually give to kids I would think or maybe for their own amusement. The other side is totally flat and the only way I know it's large cent is I can see CA in AMERICA with bud from wreath matching up perfectly with reverse side of large cent where the bud almost hits the bottom of A in America. This was my only old find -- made the whole trip worthwhile (that and 22 oz beer at the end of 5 + hours of detecting without liquids). Here's more on Camp Lawton.
Camp Lawton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Attachments

• photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 234
  • photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 209
  • photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 367
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 297
Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like they didn't get the notches cut in the rim before they dropped it. Or punched for some other reason. It would not make much noise spun on a string as-is. Great find!

-Buck

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread