Rain rain go away!

The Gemologist

Sep 8, 2006
Seattle, WA
Sunday is the day I’m most commonly go metal detecting. I had planned to go with a friend to a very large and well known park in the Seattle area. I have been aching to go to this park for weeks mainly because it’s been well used for 150 years. Well as anyone knows Seattle is known for rain and for the first time in weeks it was forecast to rain heavily that day. We arrived early on Sunday with the weather looking bad. Heavy black clouds everywhere, but only light rain. So we decided to take a chance.

The park is clean a fresh of debris so I’m thinking this park is too clean.

After set up and walking only a few paces we started finding coins everywhere. To my amazement I’m finding coins on every signal. I found 11 coins in a row with no debris in 15 minutes. This was only over an only a small area of the park. My partner found 8 coins and only one bad signal. The park is close to 10 acres and so well maintained so I’m thinking there’s a bundle here just in coins, not to mention possible jewelry

Then it happen RAIN, and more RAIN. Heavy wash your truck away type rain.

You cannot imagine how frustrating it was to pack up and quit because the rain was way too heavy.

Total take for 11 coins, $ 1.02, and my friend had .65 for his 8 coins. Not bad for only 15 minutes work.

Now I’m looking out my window at work, its raining very hard still on Monday morning and I’m just thinking about acres and acres of coins and there’s no chance to get there until next weekend.

Upvote 0

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah-HA!!!! Goofing off at work I see, hmmmm, at least I'm not the only one out their ;D

OP
OP
The Gemologist

The Gemologist

Sep 8, 2006
Seattle, WA
The coins were all clad not too old. But this was in the most open place in the park. There are dozens of foot path entrances with many over 100 years. This was our first chance to detect there so we picked right out in the open. I had planned to print up a map and do a systematic search looking for the older more unused areas. I also plan a to research the history to find the most popular areas from the past this week.

As soon as i find my camera i'll have pics.

renegade_7

Jun 10, 2004
Missouri
Went to Seattle a few years ago on business. Wish I'd brought my detector. I will say this though, if you can get on Ft. Lewis, the older section of post by American Lake used to produce fairly well. I heard this from a friend recently, but also heard this years ago, as well.

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Looks like the rain did a massive strike on us today here in SE Kentucky as well. Just as we found some nice condition Barber half dollars at a site with great potential, but might be a parking lot real soon.

Congratulations on your finds before the rain,

Rev

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Post, I'm in Southeast Kentucky as well!!!!!! Are you ready for the snow?

I'm close to Pikeville, KY.

digdug_rita

Sep 28, 2006
Hey yall, we got the rain first down here in Texas....12" in 24 hrs at my house !!! The childhood verse of "Rain Rain Go Away"...does not work when you are an adult. Does put a damper on weekend hunts. :'(

OP
OP
The Gemologist

The Gemologist

Sep 8, 2006
Seattle, WA
Thanks to all. I'm looking forward to soft ground due to the rain and hopefully many coins in this VIRGIN park.

I'll keep ya all updated

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will appreciate that next nice weather hunt more, LOL! Weatherproof your detector and yourself, rainy hunts aren't as bad as they seem. HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread