oldsoapy

May 28, 2007
uk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garret ads 1. plus T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this little beauty today. on the same field as the Silver Horse(posted 2 days ago)
this one is a silver denarius of Trajan.
Head side :: IMP CAES NER TRIANO OPTIMO AVG GER DAC::with laureate Bust Right ::
Other side:: PM TRP COSV1 SPQR :: With Bonus Eventus Standing Left.Holding Patera and Wheat ears :: Trajan Ruled from AD 98 to AD 117. Thanks for looking! Hutch.

Attachments

• w574.jpg
    w574.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 607
  • w575.jpg
    w575.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 370
Last edited:
Upvote 1

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find!

Like anything else, context and location are everything.

I guess across the pond it's not so rare, but sitting here in the USA, it conjures up images of the Empire. When I was walking around Rome last summer I had fantasies of detecting at various sites.

Probably still be in the clink somewhere if I indulged them.

I saw a show last week about a local club in London that was permitted to do various types of detecting along the Thames in London...do any of you members in England partake in that activity? Sorry for my ignorance, but the London club was called the "Mud Larks" I believe?

Great find,
CD
The 'Mud Larks' are an exclusive club that you need to earn your way into. There are a couple of standard permit holders on here like myself who very occasionally swap a muddy field for a muddy river. I'm planning a 2 day trip, but not sure when.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terrific Roman Silver!!

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!!! An Absolutely Amazing Find!!!
Congrats!!

Joe

UncleTom

Jun 3, 2006
SEABROOK TEXAS
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I and II, CTX-3030, Equinox 600, X-terra 70,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great coin, May I ask what you are swinging? I just returned from your beautiful country full of history. HH:thumb_up:

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats a once in a life time find an absolutely stunning , if I'd found that you'd heard my screamin over in the UK lol .Great coin , ya got my banner vote :thumb_up:

OP
OP
oldsoapy

oldsoapy

May 28, 2007
uk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garret ads 1. plus T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great coin, May I ask what you are swinging? I just returned from your beautiful country full of history. HH:thumb_up:
I have been using for the last 5 years now a Tecknetics T2. I find it to be sensitive to very small targets, and it loves silver, also in my advancing years l find it easy to use for quite long searches. Hutch.

OP
OP
oldsoapy

oldsoapy

May 28, 2007
uk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garret ads 1. plus T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find!

Like anything else, context and location are everything.

I guess across the pond it's not so rare, but sitting here in the USA, it conjures up images of the Empire. When I was walking around Rome last summer I had fantasies of detecting at various sites.

Probably still be in the clink somewhere if I indulged them.

I saw a show last week about a local club in London that was permitted to do various types of detecting along the Thames in London...do any of you members in England partake in that activity? Sorry for my ignorance, but the London club was called the "Mud Larks" I believe?

Great find,
CD
Captain , l have been on the Thames fore shore to detect many years ago and found it exciting , l promised myself l would go back there when l retired, but it has not happened yet. London is only 60ish miles from me but although l retired almost 10 years ago l still have not done it. l am too busy detecting on my local area. here is a link to the "Mudlarks"

Thames And Field click here! Hutch.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

landmagnet

Aug 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silver. Only just seen this today. Sorry Hutch!

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CONGRATULATIONS on a SUPER DUPER coin! Way to go and also CONGRATULATIONS on the BANNER! Breezie

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello2: Awesome find.Yoy guys got it made on the other side of the pond.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Westfront , Copper core ??? This is a good while before the debasement of the coinage , look at the condition !
if it were debased, it wouldn't look like that !! Silver is a noble metal - in higher purity (like 90 +% ) it is almost
unassailable by the elements (salt being an exception ) - This denarius is a BANNER find !!! BIGTIME !!!!!
Argentium.

I was reading this and I think the point in this comment was missed...
Just because it is a Silver Denerius from Trajan does not mean it can't have been counterfeit in his time.
I lived in Spain in the 90's and I dug a Silver Denarius from the early Roman Republic, with horse pulling a chariot
and the god Murcury on the face, and after cleaning it was obviouse that it had copper in the center.
I also later dug a Silver Denarius of Vespacian that we could not find in any book, only to discover that it was probably a counterfiet or "mule" from that time period, but it appeares to be good silver. I mean come on, this is not just something that happens today, but something that has always happened ever since money has been made.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread