oldsoapy

May 28, 2007
uk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garret ads 1. plus T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this little beauty today. on the same field as the Silver Horse(posted 2 days ago)
this one is a silver denarius of Trajan.
Head side :: IMP CAES NER TRIANO OPTIMO AVG GER DAC::with laureate Bust Right ::
Other side:: PM TRP COSV1 SPQR :: With Bonus Eventus Standing Left.Holding Patera and Wheat ears :: Trajan Ruled from AD 98 to AD 117. Thanks for looking! Hutch.

Attachments

• w574.jpg
    w574.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 607
  • w575.jpg
    w575.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 370
Last edited:
Upvote 1

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Westfront , Copper core ??? This is a good while before the debasement of the coinage , look at the condition !
if it were debased, it wouldn't look like that !! Silver is a noble metal - in higher purity (like 90 +% ) it is almost
unassailable by the elements (salt being an exception ) - This denarius is a BANNER find !!! BIGTIME !!!!!
Argentium.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man , I am just amazed that this piece is not attracting major kudos already - not to mention BANNER c'mon
you gotta be kidding me ????? Argentium.

TripletDad

Sep 3, 2011
Denver, CO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would be the value of something like that? It's hard to fathom what something like that is worth, since I've never seen any denarii in any coin stores around these parts...

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
That is an awesome coin! I would love to find historical items like this!!

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Amazing find!!!

OP
OP
oldsoapy

oldsoapy

May 28, 2007
uk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garret ads 1. plus T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a nice one! Looks like it has a copper core?
When l dug it up there was a lump of green verdigris on the surface which l had to get off.(it must have been next to some copper) and you can see the remains of that. But to answer your question : The coin is all Silver. Thanks for your interest. Hutch.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Westfront , Copper core ??? This is a good while before the debasement of the coinage , look at the condition !
if it were debased, it wouldn't look like that !! Silver is a noble metal - in higher purity (like 90 +% ) it is almost
unassailable by the elements (salt being an exception ) - This denarius is a BANNER find !!! BIGTIME !!!!!
Argentium.
You have to remember that the vast majority of members of this forum are from North America. We don't have the frame of reference to truly appreciate a coin such as this. To most of us it is "just another Roman silver". This should take nothing away from the find and it's magnitude.

Congrats on finding such a beauty!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful piece of Silver. (looks out-of-round on the banner ?)

The workmanship still amazes me from 2000 years ago.

Congrats to you. As you know most of us are doing good to get silver 1/10th as old.

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That coin is in great shape , much better than most that are brought up out of the ground .
Thanks for posting this for us to see.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would be the value of something like that? It's hard to fathom what something like that is worth, since I've never seen any denarii in any coin stores around these parts...

In answer to your question, its worth very little, its not that rare (in coin terms) & would only make about £15-£20.

Now, I'm going to make a controversial statement, which I know will not offend the poster but I may get some stick for. This is NOT a banner find in a UK context, however the last Iron Age Silver Unit he posted was over looked. Oh well, enough said.........

The fact it wasn't a banner coin, doesn't take away from the beauty & overall good condition of this nice early Denarius, of which these chucky Silver coins are another one my fav to find, so it was a joy to see one so early in the year - WELL DONE. Dad & I are still looking for our first this year & it will not be until harvest (I guess) that we 'luck in'!

Captaindoodle

Feb 10, 2008
Cool find!

Like anything else, context and location are everything.

I guess across the pond it's not so rare, but sitting here in the USA, it conjures up images of the Empire. When I was walking around Rome last summer I had fantasies of detecting at various sites.

Probably still be in the clink somewhere if I indulged them.

I saw a show last week about a local club in London that was permitted to do various types of detecting along the Thames in London...do any of you members in England partake in that activity? Sorry for my ignorance, but the London club was called the "Mud Larks" I believe?

Great find,
CD

oldsalty19

Silver Member
May 29, 2011
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Hutch......what r those things worth $$$$

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When l dug it up there was a lump of green verdigris on the surface which l had to get off.(it must have been next to some copper) and you can see the remains of that. But to answer your question : The coin is all Silver. Thanks for your interest. Hutch.
Thank You for clarification Hutch! You found a real beauty!

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Westfront , Copper core ??? This is a good while before the debasement of the coinage , look at the condition ! if it were debased, it wouldn't look like that !! Silver is a noble metal - in higher purity (like 90 +% ) it is almost unassailable by the elements (salt being an exception ) - This denarius is a BANNER find !!! BIGTIME !!!!! Argentium.
This is an absolute stunning coin in condition that is out of question! Nontheless are roman silvers sometimes filled with a copper core. Some came minted that way to save silver, some are contemporary counterfeit. I didn't seen a counterfeit from these years before and this one is too early for a filled coin from the mint so i think it is an eligible question. As You may read here that there is some copper on the coin what leads me to this.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread