jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF it is what I think there is a WOMAN on the other side ? It looks like a MARIA THERESA THALER. she was the Empress of Austria. the MARIA THERESA THALER is the longest running trade unit in the world. used mostly in the Middle East. they used to be minted in AUSTRIA, but now they are minted in TURKEY. they all have the date 1780X . it is .75 TROY OZ. of SILVER. <> I hope this helps ; Jeff Morgan

OP
OP
S

still diggin

thanks for the info. here is the other side. Stilldiggin

Attachments

• pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 1,101

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NO DOUBT. that's what it is :)

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
onionhead said:
Very nice coin! how deep was it?

Onion

If you click on my webpage, below my profile name, and go to my coins page, I think I have a picture of one of these
I got on Myrtle Beach one year. They looked brand new and my treasure hunting club acted like I had bought some
fake something, but a local coin dealer told me that same thing the other poster did about this coin and said it was real.
The pictures on my site are a bit better than than the ones you scanned so you can compare yours close up.
great find and happy hunting
Torrero

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even though these Thalers were dated as "1700's" coins they were made (I beleive) into the 1900's with the same 1780 date on them. Here's some info I looked up. I've got a nice one too. 8)

Maria Theresa Thaler

The Austrian Maria Theresa thaler (dollar) has served as a trade dollar world wide for 226 years. Initially minted in 1782 this dollar-sized coin has served as the only coin in many near countries and even still used today in some places. It was one of the silver coins used in the early United States along with the Spanish dollar and other European dollar sized coins.

Saudi Arabia, Lebanon, Syria, Palestine, Yemen, Turkey, Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Sudan, Egypt, Libya, Algeria, Tunisia, Morocco, Niger, and Chad, are only a beginning list of the countries that have used and still use the Maria Theresa.

The coin has been continuously used for such a long time because it is pretty, it is a convenient size, and it has not changed in the 226 years it has been around. It is 39.6 to 41.5 mm in diameter and 2.5mm thick, weighs 28.0668 grams, is 833 fine, giving .752 oz of silver.

Maria Theresa, the daughter of Charles VI, the last Hapsburg ruler of the Holy Roman Empire, was born in 1718. When she was 19, Maria Theresa married Francis Steven, Duke of Lorraine. Crowned Empress of Austria and Queen of Hungary and Bohemia in 1745 when her husband was crowned Holy Roman Emperor, Maria Theresa had 16 children, 11 daughters. She died in 1780.

The thaler has been minted in several world mints since, always with the same date, with minor differences that allows one to identify the source of any particular coin. The date has always remained 1780. You can still get it for a very reasonable price; 6 to 9 dollars will get you a proof depending on who has it for sale.

The obverse features the buxom Maria Theresa surrounded by the legend that begins on the obverse and continues on the reverse. The two-headed eagle with the arms of the Austro-Hungarian Empire dominate the reverse.

The Latin legend starting on the obverse "M(aria) THERESA D(ei) G(ratia) R(omanorum) IMP(ratrix) HU(ungariae) BO(hemiae) REG(ina) continues on the reverse ARCHID(ux) AUST(riae) DUX BURG(undiae) CO(mes) TYR(olis) 1780" -- "Maria Therese, by the Grace of God, Empress of Romans, Queen of the Hungarians and Bohemians, Arch Duchess of the Austrians, Duchess of the Burgundians, and Countess of the Tyrolian."

The letters "S F" under the bust identify the original mint master Tibias Scoebl and mint warden Joseph Faby of the original Gunzburg mint.

Though dated 1780 the Maria Theresa thaler was first minted in 1782 in Gunzberg, Germany, in what was then part of the Austrian Empire. Since then it has been minted intermittently in many mints of the world, among them, Vienna, Rome, Paris, London, Brussels, Bombay, Birmingham, Prague, Milan, and Venice. Krause's 1996 Standard Catalog of World Coins says that over 800 million have been struck to date.

The Italians and Maria Theresa
In one of the great number of stories about this coin, the Italians introduced a "tallero" with .8139 ounce of silver into their new colony of Eritrea in 1890 in direct competition with the .752 oz Maria Theresa. The latter held her ground hands down. In 1918 they introduced another tallero, this one at .7535 and sporting an image imitating Maria, did equally poorly. Ethiopia's .7537 oz Bir did equally poorly. The Ethiopians were just used to the Maria Therese and would only accept it--or they would accept the others at a significant discount to the Maria Theresa value.

Between 1935 and 1937 the Italians minted no less than 18 million Maria Theresa to finance their invasion of Ethiopia and subsequent Italian East Africa (AOI) Colony. Maria was the only coin accepted. Between November 28, 1934 and August 15, 1935 the official exchange rate dropped from 4.75 lire per thaler to 9 per thaler. By October it was 12.5 lire per thaler.

After their occupation of Ethiopia, the Italians declared the Lira the official coin of the new colony and would give out five for each thaler (the 5 lire coin weighed 1/5 of the thaler!). They would not give thalers for lire. They wanted to eradicate the Maria Theresa and establish the lira as the only currency.

By February, 1937, the official rate was back up to 10.50; it rose again June 11 to 13.50. The black market value ranged about 5 lire over the official rate. In reality, the thaler was in demand and the lira was not. By 1940 as the Italians were about to be ousted by England the rate was around 30 lire to the thaler.

This is just one of the many, many incidents in the life of the great lady of Austria on one of the most successful coins ever made.

Sources
Richard Pankhurst, "The Perpetuation of the Maria Theresa Thaler and Currency Problems in Italian-occupied Ethiopia," Journal of Ethiopian Studies, Haile Sellassie I University Institute of Ethiopian Studies, July, 1970, pp. 89ff.
Harry Flower, "The Famous Maria Theresa Taler," undated handout to a presentation.
1996 Standard Catalog of World Coins, Krause Publications, 1996.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TORRERO said:
onionhead said:
Very nice coin! how deep was it?

Onion

If you click on my webpage, below my profile name, and go to my coins page, I think I have a picture of one of these
I got on Myrtle Beach one year. They looked brand new and my treasure hunting club acted like I had bought some
fake something, but a local coin dealer told me that same thing the other poster did about this coin and said it was real.
The pictures on my site are a bit better than than the ones you scanned so you can compare yours close up.
great find and happy hunting
Torrero

heres the link to that page
http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Boardwalk/1390/coins/coin001.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread