Apr 20, 2009
Lowcountry, South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus !
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm posting these for a friend who dug them in the same field in South Carolina where I found my rev war dogbone one a couple days ago. He found them with his new Deus metal detector. He let me try it and the little bit I used it was quite impressed.Awsome in iron, it's light , super fast, and very futuristic in design. I'm going to try and save up some cash to get my hands on one. Hope you enjoy the pics and the two buttons below the GW are yet to be identified so if you have any ideas we'd love to hear them, thanks

Peter. Forgot to tell you guys the GW button is 14 mm

Attachments

• GWButton.jpg
    GWButton.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 255
  • 1CButton.jpg
    1CButton.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 188
  • PGButton.jpg
    PGButton.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Upvote 2

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm.... What size is the button?

The 25mm is listed at R6, and the 20mm at R7. It's clearly not the 25mm pattern, but shows more space on each side of the wings compared to the 20mm from the link. Would just add to the find if it's a size that hasn't been seen before, like 22mm.

Yes, that would make it a little more appealing.

deltamann

Sep 30, 2010
Northern New Mexico
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F-75 LTD, Blisstool V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a find of a lifetime. The Cobb collection is not as complete as one would think. The GW that I found was not in the Cobb collection either. Check out: George Washington 1789 Inaugural Button, Rob is doing a catalog of all GW's that have been found and feel free to contact him to get your listed for others to enjoy.

He will also do a write-up about your button describing the quality, rarity, as well as post a photo of it on his site.

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The 25mm is listed at R6, and the 20mm at R7. It's clearly not the 25mm pattern, but shows more space on each side of the wings compared to the 20mm from the link. Would just add to the find if it's a size that hasn't been seen before, like 22mm.

But maybe just to someone who already had both the 20mm and 25mm. (and also depends on what I'm about to write in the last part of this paragraph) When it comes to Rev War and probably GW buttons the coat size would in most cases get as much money (or more) even if a little "more common" because collectors like bigger buttons. Also, even if this find is 22mm that might not mean too much because being a variant with different detail design and spacing would mean much more then just a larger button used, at least that's how I see it. Looking at the pics it's hard to tell if it's an exact match in design or not.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a find of a lifetime. The Cobb collection is not as complete as one would think. The GW that I found was not in the Cobb collection either. Check out: George Washington 1789 Inaugural Button, Rob is doing a catalog of all GW's that have been found and feel free to contact him to get your listed for others to enjoy.

Yes, it's more of a great sign than a huge deal... but of course can turn into a huge deal depending on what it ends up being. I see this once in a while for Colonial coin varieties that weren't in the Ford collection which was sold by Stacks for about 60 million. As time goes on new things, and more of the same keep being discovered, and that's what's so great about metal detecting or coin and relic buying, because you can literally find a first.

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't see that example photoed in the Cobb collection.
I wonder...

Interesting that it is not in the Cobb collection. Perhaps it is a previously unknown example or is the Cobb collection not complete?

Still a banner find...(although lately it seems like people would rather see Mercury dimes on the forum, then finds like these!)

Who the hell would rather look at a merc than this fine piece???

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

But maybe just to someone who already had both the 20mm and 25mm. (and also depends on what I'm about to write in the last part of this paragraph) When it comes to Rev War and probably GW buttons the coat size would in most cases get as much money (or more) even if a little "more common" because collectors like bigger buttons. Also, even if this find is 22mm that might not mean too much because being a variant with different detail design and spacing would mean much more then just a larger button used, at least that's how I see it. Looking at the pics it's hard to tell if it's an exact match in design or not.

You always have your money/market head on, I prefer the variant/interest, but you know that. I collect raity in a few artefacts & I get them dirt cheap & see the common/commercial items get out of control. I know what I would rather have.

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome button. It actually showed up on my Facebook page today.

Have the rules for the banner changed? I'm not complaining about it, because awesome finds like this should be up there, but I always thought that if you didn't find it, it couldn't go up. And who decides what goes up there now? It seems like things are going up there super-fast now.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Have the rules for the banner changed? I'm not complaining about it, because awesome finds like this should be up there, but I always thought that if you didn't find it, it couldn't go up. And who decides what goes up there now? It seems like things are going up there super-fast now.

This is the question I wanted clarity on, it maybe a good 'in' for Cru'dad or maybe it was an oversight? Otherwise I have some friends in the British Museum who have some great finds I could post:goldbar:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is the question I wanted clarity on, it maybe a good 'in' for Cru'dad or maybe it was an oversight? Otherwise I have some friends in the British Museum who have some great finds I could post:goldbar:

Seems the Banner is off the rails a little. His Rev War pewter is listed as a "GW button" under his banner finds. Someone is obviously pushing the banner plunger and going through the process a little fast these days. The post clearly states what the button is.

Last edited:

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome button!!

JW15

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 w/DD coil Backup- 505,305.
I wonder...

Pete, I was thinking the same thing...it didn't look like any variation I had ever seen...looking at it, I was telling myself that it looked hand engraved, like someone was making their own personal GW buttons...or maybe a small jeweler was producing a number of them to make a little money...could be a one-of-a-kind...very cool.

Greg

There's a link posted to the same type on page 1. Here it is again.

George Washington 1789 Inaugural Button
At least somebody saw the the link I posted...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Seems the Banner is off the rails a little. His Rev War pewter is listed as a "GW button" under his banner finds. Someone is obviously pushing the banner plunger and going through the process a little fast these days. The post clearly states what the button is.

The banner needs lots of sorting, many of those current holders, still have not had it added to under their Avatar, they are expected to ask for it to be fixed, sad really when you think of the effort it takes to get these. It should not take too long to check the most recent, going back to when it broke.

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The GW is a very sweet find to be sure. The 1C Rev War button may yet be a unique Rev War button discovery associated with the 1st Carolina militia. This to me is very exciting as I love the Rev Buttons the most and will watch to see what the consensus is from Troiani and the other Rev War folks. Thanks for showing Pete!
Keith

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
That Washington button is about the finest example that I've ever seen! Killer find. Tennessee digger

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The banner needs lots of sorting, many of those current holders, still have not had it added to under their Avatar, they are expected to ask for it to be fixed, sad really when you think of the effort it takes to get these. It should not take too long to check the most recent, going back to when it broke.

Sorry I Removed it from the Banner. Finds Must be by Full Members.
If not by Number of posts, at least by time served, in My opinion.
as Far as the designations in the Profiles, I Havn't figured out How
they are done, So I Can't remove that.

You's will have to Work (Impress) for Banners from Me. :rocks:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I totally agree, just because my Cru'dad is internet shy apart from when I buy his stamps on ebay for him, doesn't mean his finds should make it to banner. I may enjoy sharing our Cru'team finds but I realise that membership is what counts on the banner, or we could all post finds by our 'mates'. Good judgement - thanks Jeff.

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I totally agree, just because my Cru'dad is internet shy apart from when I buy his stamps on ebay for him, doesn't mean his finds should make it to banner. I may enjoy sharing our Cru'team finds but I realise that membership is what counts on the banner, or we could all post finds by our 'mates'. Good judgement - thanks Jeff.

Register him a name. There's no reason he can't be a member, and also no reason you can't post his finds for him under that name. I'm sure there's plenty of people on here who have others take care of their pics or the typing, or both. I remember one poster in particular on this forum who posted a lot of finds but it wasn't him at the keyboard, he just viewed the threads and his daughter or someone was doing the rest.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
I wonder...

Interesting that it is not in the Cobb collection. Perhaps it is a previously unknown example or is the Cobb collection not complete?

Still a banner find...(although lately it seems like people would rather see Mercury dimes on the forum, then finds like these!)

May you never find another Mercury dime.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread