Does anyone recognize this makers mark in this ring I found today?

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to say I dug it up but the truth is I found it at an estate sale. It has .925 and 18K inside with a makers mark I think. I only paid one dollar for it but was wondering who made it. Thanks for any help.

003.JPG

002.JPG

Upvote 2

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.925 is the silver standard which will be the base metal (92.5%) & the 18K (18 karat gold = 18 parts gold out of 24) must be the gold wash/plating.

I have no idea what the makers mark (CAZ?) in the centre is, maybe someone will reconise it.

Last edited:

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Having 18K and .925 stamped on the same piece of jewelry does not make much sense. What you might have there is a piece of vermeil jewelry. Vermeil is gold plated streling silver. That's my guess?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having 18K and .925 stamped on the same piece of jewelry does not make much sense. What you might have there is a piece of vermeil jewelry. Vermeil is gold plated streling silver. That's my guess?
your guess is my guess as well:happysmiley:

sharkman

Greenie
Jan 2, 2011
From looking at the picture, it's hard to tell what is what as far as the colors are. My wife and I have several rings made out of gold and silver, and plat. If gold is used it will be marked as gold and if silver is used it will be marked as ss, or 925. If ring is marked gold and platinum it's gold and plat. One of the rings I have is marked 18k and 925. The ring is in the shape of a belt. The belt is silver, the buckle and the belt loop is gold. Also, I have a large silver ring that is marked 18k and silver 925 with an agate stone, around the stone are small round beads of 18k. gold and the ring itself is silver.
The ring in the post ....looking at it ....my guess is that the outside of the ring is silver and the xx's are gold. You can have it both ways either gold or silver.

HH/sharkman/Rod

crankyolman22

Nov 20, 2008
Des Moines, Wa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, pro pointer, F-point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suspect it is from Cazanovia jewelry. They use 18K & sterling together but I cant find a picture of their mark. Here is a link to their website but it's not a very good website.
Cazenovia Jewelry

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
A couple of years ago found a ring marked 14K and a 925. It looked like a white gold or sterling nugget ring that was not plated at all. WTG!

P.S. Maybe these rings are white gold and are a mix of 18K and 925, or 14K and 925?

Last edited:

Cleetus

Oct 24, 2011
Salt Lake City, Ut.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, I might have the dates a little wrong, but maybe you'll just have to do some of your own research (Lol)........In the later half of the 1800's the Gold standard was changed from Karats to percentage Marks. From about 1860-1910 it was admissible to use BOTH Markings, Karat and .925. Around 1910-1920, the British standard for Gold Marks was changed to the Percentage stamp only. (i.e. .925, etc.). I'm fuzzy on this so you'll have to check it. but if the ring is Gold, and you have the Double Marks, it would indicate a Victorian/ Edwardian era. I just remember this from researching a 22 karat Gold ring I found a few months back. It was Hallmarked 1856 and Marked only with the Karat.......This might help, I think you might get a link off this Hallmark Site that will direct you to the registered Makers Marks and Hallmarks. I believe I saw the CAS Hallmark on the registry, but it was in the silversmith's marks. Many of the Metal workers worked in both Metals though.....Google for other Hallmark directories......Happy researching, you'll learn a lot.......Researching British Hallmarks

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Tiffany ring that is marked 925 and 18k and it is silver and gold
so you might want to stop by a jeweler with it - it could be a designer ring

crankyolman22

Nov 20, 2008
Des Moines, Wa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, pro pointer, F-point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I might have the dates a little wrong, but maybe you'll just have to do some of your own research (Lol)........In the later half of the 1800's the Gold standard was changed from Karats to percentage Marks. From about 1860-1910 it was admissible to use BOTH Markings, Karat and .925. Around 1910-1920, the British standard for Gold Marks was changed to the Percentage stamp only. (i.e. .925, etc.). I'm fuzzy on this so you'll have to check it. but if the ring is Gold, and you have the Double Marks, it would indicate a Victorian/ Edwardian era. I just remember this from researching a 22 karat Gold ring I found a few months back. It was Hallmarked 1856 and Marked only with the Karat.......This might help, I think you might get a link off this Hallmark Site that will direct you to the registered Makers Marks and Hallmarks. I believe I saw the CAS Hallmark on the registry, but it was in the silversmith's marks. Many of the Metal workers worked in both Metals though.....Google for other Hallmark directories......Happy researching, you'll learn a lot.......Researching British Hallmarks

The only problem I see with that is 18K would have been marked .750 not .925.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread