Ubelievable day SEATED HALF DIME!!!!! in a old ball field!

tah06090

Nov 6, 2011
Vermont
Detector(s) used
E-trac/ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a day went out with my brother hitting a couple of old ball fields. Had hit two spots only found 4 wheats 57x2 46 and 28. We hit our last spot right off my brother gets a silver quarter then i hit the sterling ring weighs 5 grams then i hit a shallow 12-40 figured a penny i flip the plug over and pointer says its in the plug at first i thought it was a religious medalion, but no was a seated lady my first!!!! Were not sure how it got in a 1940s ball field but tons of old houses nearby prolly would explain it but its a 1838 no mint mark!

seated1.jpg

seated12.jpg

seated123.jpg

seated123d.jpg

Upvote 0

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome!!! the seated coin looks like it was made yesterday, congrats on your first and many many more!!!

Across

Greenie
Mar 28, 2012
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
BH Discovery 3300 - We all started somewhere!
Minelab Excalibur II 800
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really enjoy coins, and mainly coins before 1900. I am just getting into metal detecting so by no means have I ever found any. However, I sure have found some at the coin shows over the years! As for this one, it is very beautiful. The fact that it has no mint mark is because it is from the Philly mint. Also, this coin is pretty unique as far as the fact that the design lasted only three years total. The first design was from 1837 to 1838. The first design 1838 can be told apart from the second design 1838 by the fact that the first one had no stars. The second design was from 38 to 40. What made this design different then the next one after it(which lasted for 13 years) was that it had no drapery between the elbow and the knee.

Again, very very nice coin! Congratulations and I really hope that you get more in the future!

Threshold

Mar 3, 2012
Riverside, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garret Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful finds. :)

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Good for you:happysmiley:

Michigander Dan

Mar 11, 2012
Water Wonderland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett Pinpointer pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds and I like your story about "Just how did that get there in a 1940's ball field" which makes the find that much sweeter. Kudos on the beautiful ring and finding wheats never gets old.:goldtrophy:

OP
OP
tah06090

tah06090

Nov 6, 2011
Vermont
Detector(s) used
E-trac/ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks guys! we went back out again all day today not as great results lol few more wheats and a 37 buffalo

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the halfdime! I love hunting the ballfields and have dug 100+ y.o. coins from new fields. They are usually brought in with fill dirt. A ballfield may be entirely groomed every 10-20 years. The old one near me was recently plowed up and more fill brought in and finished. I've dug a seated dime out of there.

lostandfound66

Tenderfoot
Mar 27, 2012
southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
whites and Garrett at-pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great day !! I have found three half dimes in the last several years hunting the old Erie Canal in Indiana. Two of them had tiny holes opposite each other and I figured that in 1855 they were getting paid a dime a day and sewed them into a piece of cloth or in a pocket to keep from losing them. They are so small that you can easily miss them in a trashy site.

saltyshark2002

Mar 31, 2009
Derry, New Hampshire.
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac,Fisher F-70,Bounty Hunter 505,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great job on that seated...Im still trying to find my first ...hope when I find one it is in as good shape as yours

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great score on the seated half dime :thumbsup: that's one still on my wish list.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions