Return trip to my site yields another seven rev war buttons!!!

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was just too tired to post this last night. Got up early yesterday and gathered my metal detector and all my pit digging gear and was out the door just before dawn. I got to my site just as the sun was rising. I briefly paused and thought about what exactly must have been going on at this site 230 years ago. I honestly believe this area was either used as a hospital site where diseased uniforms were being burned or a place where new uniforms were issued. I briefly tried to find any surface finds with my Nautilus I may have missed but after 2 hours with only 5 musket balls I went back to digging out the second pit I discovered just a few days ago. Expanding outward on one side, I uncovered lots of ash along with the usual iron nails, oyster shells, and brick. Suprisingly no glass was uncovered. It didn't take long before I had my first French button followed by another a few shovelfuls later. Then came another bayonet clip that was broken followed by several musketballs and then ANOTHER French button. When this one came out I could see the 41 easily. After the finds began to play out on that side of the pit I expanded the other side. I can remember thinking how I wanted to find another cut Spanish reale and not more than 15 minutes later I had one in my hand!! The 4th French button was soon to follow and directly beneath it a 5th!!! When the 5th flipped out I couldn't believe it..... just like the coat I had found on my last outing, this button was emerald green and the number 70 was just staring up at me!!!!!!! I had never found a 70th regiment before. The side had a little minor rim damage but other than that it is perfect and beautiful. I then started digging the pit deeper and my first giid signal was a heavy long brass object. It was covered in ash but I could tell it was part of a flintlock rifle right away. Next came a coat button with crossshanks on the back followed by yet another French turrent shank button. That was a record 7 buttons for one day. As I gathered up all my gear I briefly detected the dirt I had thrown up in a huge mound and got just the slightest beep on my detector. Would you beleve it, the last signal of the day turned out to be yet another quarter of a 2 reale! WHEW! With that I left....... I had been lut almost 8 hrs and I was exhauted. The buttons turned out to be 3 small 41's, a small 30 (the first I have found), and a small 70 (the first I have found). The coat crossshank button is silver plated and after reading in Don Troini's book appears to be a coat button attributed to Lauzun's legion. He states in his book " the Hussars of the legion wore ball type buttons without an anchor. These buttons were fastened by a means of crossed wires on the back". Again what a find! And the last French button's face is so deteriorated I unfortunately can't see a number. The 2 quarter reales unfortunately don't have the 2 ending numbers that would give me the date. One has a 17 and the other piece has neither. This was a record day of rev war button for me with 7! The site I feel may have some more discoveries awaiting me but I also realize soon it will be played out and I am a little sad. This has been the best Rev War site I have ever disovered and I will surely miss it when it is over. HH Devonrex

Attachments

• 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 85
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 102
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0805.JPG
    IMG_0805.JPG
    678.8 KB · Views: 93
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a site I would have no problem helping you with, its been amazing!

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very amazing!!!

tomjiggy

Sep 18, 2010
Just absolutely amazing! How rare are the 70th Regiment buttons? I think this might just be another banner.....

OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just absolutely amazing! How rare are the 70th Regiment buttons? I think this might just be another banner.....

The 70th regiment is extremely rare. I have never heard of another being dug although Troini pictures an officers coat button in his book found in Yorktown but no enlisted. This is an enlisted specimen.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Another great post John! I thoroughly enjoyed following the play-by-play action, and of course the pics of even more incredible finds. But don't be sad just yet. Like I said before, its a good possibility there are more pits at the site including some that may contain early bottles and pottery. Wouldn't that be a way to top things off. Good luck on your next outing there ..... Bill

OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is a site I would have no problem helping you with, its been amazing!

I wouldn't mind hunting some of the fields and woods in your country either! Maybe oneday....... Devonrex

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread