🥇 BANNER Cool coin and awesome first for me (not even on my wish list!)

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a night. Went out at dusk to a favorite old park where I've had a lot of luck finding silver over the years. I think the oldest date I've ever seen come out of this area was around the 30's. Lots of Mercs and Washington quarters have come out of this ground.

As it started to get darker I put my headlamp on and picked my way slow and patient around the edges, where, this time of year, most everything is easy to work through. In a month from now these edges will be fully overgrown and impossible to get to.

Managed two Roosies and a 1942 quarter (plus assorted pennies and nickels) in about an hour, so I was really happy with that. On my way back to the parking lot I got a nice signal out in the middle, which sounded like a quarter. It was only about five inches in, I knew right away it was silver (the light from my lamp lit it up in the dark), but something was wrong, it seemed to be smaller than a quarter. And it looked to me like a Seated coin, but I thought no way, not out here. I didn't have my glasses with me, so I couldn't be sure. I thought maybe it was foreign.

When I got home, I was blown away. A Seated 20-cent piece, 1875! In gorgeous shape! I kind of knew about this coin, but never thought I'd find one. And it's not something I remember anyone in my family, or on this forum, finding before. Little smaller and thinner than a quarter, with a smooth edge.

Never assume I guess, everything was something else before it was what it is. I'll pay a lot closer attention to that park next time I go there. Thanks for looking...

Steve

20centO001.jpg 20centR002.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 16

Threshold

Mar 3, 2012
Riverside, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garret Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
congrats, wish i could find one.. thats in amazing shape too! congrats

goldhungry

Jan 2, 2009
Kimball. Mi
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark. Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one sweet coin!! I can only hope one someday pops out for me. Congrats and another vote for banner.

B|lker

Apr 3, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 And
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I`m jealous.
Has that got a rim error?
Nice find
Bill

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now thats a cool find, never seen one before, Congrats on your find

OP
OP
cheffer

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I`m jealous.
Has that got a rim error?
Nice find
Bill

Hi Bill
I don't think so, it's just the way the scanned image came out.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey WTF ??? Where's the Banner for this coin - these things are way harder to find than gold coins -low mintages
- short run of years . ???
Argentium.

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is the next banner. 20centers are RARE. CONGRATS! you never know what you are going to dig!

goldbill

May 6, 2009
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites v3 deus v4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on BANNER My faith in this site has been restored! After I found my twenty and realized what it was I thought maybe someone had one and a hole in the pocket what if they had two ?? We scoured that field and it did yield an1876 dime and a 1877 quarter but no second twenty . I still hit the area now and then ..congratulations again Goldbill

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well its the first I have seen on here! It looks good as well, rarity & condition the 2 hardest combo's in detecting, congrats

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find...........I found one two years ago and I think that was the last posted here Not positive of that . Another member has found two I think it was C.W.Diamondog or something like that..Someone told me to change the heading of my post to reflect the twenty cent piece .These are much rarer that a gold coin so should be banner for sure You have my vote if I can figure out how...Congratulations.....Goldbill
Big Congrats !! killer Banner find :occasion14: . Only found one and that was it .. same digger finding TWO would be the close to the odds of hitting the Mega Millions lotto . Found more gold coins than twenty centers , thats a fact . Well Done from CMDiamonddawg Goldbil spelled
CMDiamonddawg
dawg :BangHead:

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super nice twenty cent piece.Thats on my wish list :thumbsup:

pumice