🥇 BANNER Cool coin and awesome first for me (not even on my wish list!)

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a night. Went out at dusk to a favorite old park where I've had a lot of luck finding silver over the years. I think the oldest date I've ever seen come out of this area was around the 30's. Lots of Mercs and Washington quarters have come out of this ground.

As it started to get darker I put my headlamp on and picked my way slow and patient around the edges, where, this time of year, most everything is easy to work through. In a month from now these edges will be fully overgrown and impossible to get to.

Managed two Roosies and a 1942 quarter (plus assorted pennies and nickels) in about an hour, so I was really happy with that. On my way back to the parking lot I got a nice signal out in the middle, which sounded like a quarter. It was only about five inches in, I knew right away it was silver (the light from my lamp lit it up in the dark), but something was wrong, it seemed to be smaller than a quarter. And it looked to me like a Seated coin, but I thought no way, not out here. I didn't have my glasses with me, so I couldn't be sure. I thought maybe it was foreign.

When I got home, I was blown away. A Seated 20-cent piece, 1875! In gorgeous shape! I kind of knew about this coin, but never thought I'd find one. And it's not something I remember anyone in my family, or on this forum, finding before. Little smaller and thinner than a quarter, with a smooth edge.

Never assume I guess, everything was something else before it was what it is. I'll pay a lot closer attention to that park next time I go there. Thanks for looking...

Steve

20centO001.jpg 20centR002.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 16

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's certain coins you don't even put on your list because you think it's not even possible, then it happens! Beautiful seated liberty 20 center and congrats!! I didn't have a spanish half reale on my list for this year, but I just found one on friday. It's that much more sweeter when you find it! Coins that are on my list for this year are one gold coin(don't we all wish?) any seated coin(still need my first), any capped bust coin and a real stretch...a half disme!

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now thats one thats on my wish list, BIG TIME!!!:thumbsup:

Carson Coin Master

Sep 4, 2007
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice looking coin you got there. If you want to know the value on it you're looking between $80-$200 AWESOME FIND! to bad it wasn't the 1876-CC that would have been a lifetime find for you! may I ask did you find this with your Fisher or Tesoro?

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet Find and congrats on your banner!!
I dug a silver coin a while back, size was right and it said 'twenty cents' along bottom like this coin,
after carefully rinsing it to see the rest of the details, turned out to be a turn of the century chinese silver coin from British mint (in China)..
Was not too disappointed as not many of these are dug either :tongue3:
HH & keep em coming :occasion14:

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on an excellent find in close to perfect shape! Should teach us all to dig the "funky" signals too,never know what's there....

footxless

Jun 11, 2012
belen
Detector(s) used
garret ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great find looks newer then the change in my pocket

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was reading one of your other posts and glanced over at your banners... think my heart skipped a beat when I read 20 cent piece. Thats a real purty one too!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Steve that's an excellent hunt silver and a 20 cent piece never heard of one before .Banner for sure way to go my friend. Tommy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread