Weekend Finds - Gold Hill

madfranks

May 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Last weekend myself and a few friends went to an old mining town in the Rocky Mountains called Gold Hill. I posted an invite earlier if anyone wants to see anything about the town:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,51735.0.html

Well we found a few interesting things. I found a couple of old buttons, a 1928 wheat penny, and two indian head cents. We also found an old mine that was sealed off, and thoughts tempted us of what we might find inside, but we weren't about to break in or anything. Also, my friend dug up an old half dime, but we can't read the date because it has a hole in it. Sorry about the crummy pics, my wife has the camera so all I have is my camera phone.

Attachments

• Picture014.jpg
    Picture014.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 723
  • Picture019.jpg
    Picture019.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 708
  • Picture021.jpg
    Picture021.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 710
Upvote 0

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it were me madfranks, I'd come back with a hammer and bust a hole in that rock wall, shine a light inside...maybe a chest of treasure! Thanks for sharing your finds ;D

Salvager

Sep 4, 2006
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov. Elite / Explorer II
More likely to stop people going into danger!?!?

Sounds like it's a great place to hunt!! Good to hear you got some nice finds.

Have fun,
Salvager

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
Back in the 60s my aunt owned 75 acres in Colorado, within half a mile of the ghost town of Ashcroft (about 10 miles south of Aspen). There were old abandoned silver mines all over the place.

A creek ran right behind the cabine, and one day when I was there on vacation, my cousin and I decided to follow the creek up the mountainside.

We came around an old rock outcropping, and right there in front of us was a mine entrance.
There was an ore cart sitting on it's track right there in the middle of the creek! The creek was flowing over the mine entrance kinda like a waterfall, and the entrance was filled floor to ceiling with rock.

There was also a mineshaft I saw nearby that had some warning signs posted around it.....it was just a hole in the ground. I tossed a rock in, and it did not hit bottom for quite a few seconds....

I must assume it is still there.....

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on your finds and i agree with JIM,SMART MDERs stay out of old mine shafts.

tinpan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread