Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Predator shovels make great self defense weapons......

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Son of Eagles

Mar 2010
    mɪnɨˈsoʊtə
    Minelab SE PRO, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics Delta 4000, Ace 250, BH Tracker IV
    313 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I'm glad that you're okay. Had it turned out differently you may have been a bit discouraged about going out for a little while and that would rot. This is one of the main reasons that I just bought Rattlers headphones. I need to know what's going on around me at all times whether it's in a local park or in the middle of the woods. Stay safe

us
    Jul 2011
    49 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Missouri_John View Post
    says the guy who thought it was a great idea to try and rob me today while i was digging. I was near an old fort site today when some guy approached me and started asking me what i was doing. After telling him what i was up to, he asked me for $2 and i declined. He then took about 2 steps away and then comes up and grabs my arm. I dropped my machine and proceeded to swing my shovel and connected right in the middle of his face. After he fell to the ground, i picked my stuff up and drove off. It's real easy to get caught up in your own world while digging and have headphones on, but it always pays to be aware of your surroundings and to have eyes in the back of your head
    Yes, that is why I carry a Lesche. I had a guy approach me earlier in the week, and although I did not get a too threatening vibe; he was slightly aggressive. As he started giving me the business I cleaned my Lesche (as I always do after a dig) with my hand towel. The sight of that 8" blade really keeps things in perspective.
    CoilFisher=I fish with a coil.

http://detectingrights.com/ Join today!

Use a Lesche and a pinpointer and CUT the plug!
    Don't use shovels and trowels in parks to dig holes.*Preserve the hobby.*

us
    May 2011
    18 times
    Good for you and he got what he deserved

us
    Aug 2011
    Swampeast Missouri
    Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
    216 times
    Good for you John! Wasn't a real skinny guy missing a few teeth (well...I mean before you whacked him with the shovel....) was he? If so I think I know who he was and he definitely deserved it! Find anything during your hunt besides the possible flat 3-ringer?

us
    Mar 2012
    Greenwood SC
    18 times
    Prospecting
    I'm with cgull. I always have my handgun on me. Usually when I'm prospecting I just keep my LCP clipped inside my waist band. It's small and doesn't get in the way when I'm squatting and climbing creek banks. When I'm out with my wife or just going about my daily business I have one of my Sigs. Thank God I never never had to present it.

Missouri John, it looks like you had things well under control and didn't need a firearm in this case. Well done sir.

What John said is very true...we all need to stay alert to our surroundings at all times. We don't have to be paranoid, just pay attention to what's going on around us.
    So far, this is the longest I've ever lived. ~ Sigman Fraud

Nov 2006
    Missouri
    Whites MXT
    59 times
    I'm just glad nothing escalated further. I'm a huge fan of non-violent hunts............preferably ones that i find more than i did today

us
    Apr 2011
    Mason-Dixon Line
    eyes, ears, wet finger in the wind and old willow sticks, when that don't work; Minelabs
    6 times
    John, I too, am a fan of non-violent hunts. But it seems not everyone shares that ideal. My 1911 45 acp never leaves my side because there are a growing number of cretans out there that don't intend to treat you politely. "an armed society is a polite society", whether relic shovel, digging knife or firearm!
    So many yards, so little time!

us
    Apr 2005
    Sandy Ridge Pa
    Whites's XLT
    10 times
    Metal Detecting
    Good job! Glad you didn't become a statistic. I usually carry a Taurus Judge or a sub-compact 9mm depending on how concealed I need to be. There are situations where some knucklehead could close the distance on you and thats when its good to have a Lesche in hand.
    But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

Sep 2004
    Western Mass.
    fisher 1265, fisher 1270, tesoro vaquero
    22 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Nice work John. Low-life got what he deserved.
    seek and ye shall find sayeth the Lord

Charter Member

Jan 2007
    Northern Middle Tennessee
    Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
    1378 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Glad you are OK John. During my early years of detecting, I hunted alone in very remote areas and that's why I rarely ever use headphones today. HH, Quindy.
    View more Tenn. Trio hunts by going to "You Tube" & typing in "Quindy Robertson".

us
    Jan 2012
    2 times
    Yesterday I was in an old ballfield in the hood here in KC. I had a few young guys check me out, but, I am a big guy and I use a big Ontario entry tool for a digger. I have Missouri CCW but right now do not own anything other than big frame guns so it is just too big. I also have a one hand opening CRKT tanto blade clipped to my pocket. I can filet a deer with that blade so I am going to guess I could do some real damage on a lowlife if I had to.

Tha ballfield was apparently where the hookers take their johns, there were freakin condoms everywhere there, arrrgh

us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
    761 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    were you being kind and hit him with the "flat"of the shovel or being hard core and used the the edge ? if used correctly --the edge of a digging shovel is like a ax --the russian special forces had a sharpened edge to their "entrenching tools" which made getting hit with them like getting hit by an ax -it would split the persons skull like a ripe melon.

6 shot rohm 22 short -- small , quiet BOH special -- keeps the scummy crud and mean stray dogs and snakes away
    Last edited by ivan salis; Apr 07, 2012 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whydah View Post
    he got what was coming to him, I would have done the same should have hit him again once for good luck...
    Then used the shovel to bury him with.

SS

us
    Momma Said I Was Born To Dig.

Mar 2012
    Mebane, North Carolina
    Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
    311 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    AWESOME! good for you! People are crazy. When you see a situation is headed south, take charge immediately! And if you have a predator, by all means, swing for the fence, T-Ball style!

us
    Feb 2009
    california
    garrett ace 250, gold scorpion.
    2 times
    Good job. Never let anyone invade your personal space. Be carefull, people will usually take your kindness for weakness. Pepper spray is good, a knife, shovel are all good to defend your self. Glad your o.k.
    Life is not the way it's supposed to be; It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference. Do your best let God do the rest.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors