Predator shovels make great self defense weapons......

Missouri_John

Nov 27, 2006
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
says the guy who thought it was a great idea to try and rob me today while i was digging. I was near an old fort site today when some guy approached me and started asking me what i was doing. After telling him what i was up to, he asked me for $2 and i declined. He then took about 2 steps away and then comes up and grabs my arm. I dropped my machine and proceeded to swing my shovel and connected right in the middle of his face. After he fell to the ground, i picked my stuff up and drove off. It's real easy to get caught up in your own world while digging and have headphones on, but it always pays to be aware of your surroundings and to have eyes in the back of your head

Upvote 20

windage

Apr 3, 2011
Mason-Dixon Line
Detector(s) used
eyes, ears, wet finger in the wind and old willow sticks, when that don't work; Minelabs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John, I too, am a fan of non-violent hunts. But it seems not everyone shares that ideal. My 1911 45 acp never leaves my side because there are a growing number of cretans out there that don't intend to treat you politely. "an armed society is a polite society", whether relic shovel, digging knife or firearm!

ridger12

Apr 4, 2005
Sandy Ridge Pa
Detector(s) used
Minlab e-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good job! Glad you didn't become a statistic. I usually carry a Taurus Judge or a sub-compact 9mm depending on how concealed I need to be. There are situations where some knucklehead could close the distance on you and thats when its good to have a Lesche in hand.

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice work John. Low-life got what he deserved.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Glad you are OK John. During my early years of detecting, I hunted alone in very remote areas and that's why I rarely ever use headphones today. HH, Quindy.

armadillo66

Jan 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I was in an old ballfield in the hood here in KC. I had a few young guys check me out, but, I am a big guy and I use a big Ontario entry tool for a digger. I have Missouri CCW but right now do not own anything other than big frame guns so it is just too big. I also have a one hand opening CRKT tanto blade clipped to my pocket. I can filet a deer with that blade so I am going to guess I could do some real damage on a lowlife if I had to.

Tha ballfield was apparently where the hookers take their johns, there were freakin condoms everywhere there, arrrgh

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
were you being kind and hit him with the "flat"of the shovel or being hard core and used the the edge ? if used correctly --the edge of a digging shovel is like a ax --the russian special forces had a sharpened edge to their "entrenching tools" which made getting hit with them like getting hit by an ax -it would split the persons skull like a ripe melon.

6 shot rohm 22 short -- small , quiet BOH special -- keeps the scummy crud and mean stray dogs and snakes away

Last edited:

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AWESOME! good for you! People are crazy. When you see a situation is headed south, take charge immediately! And if you have a predator, by all means, swing for the fence, T-Ball style!

acehunter

Feb 2, 2009
california
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250, gold scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job. Never let anyone invade your personal space. Be carefull, people will usually take your kindness for weakness. Pepper spray is good, a knife, shovel are all good to defend your self. Glad your o.k.

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you're okay bud. He definitely had it coming. That's why I wish IL would finally pass the CC law! All the good parks unfortunately are in the ghettos.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, it's not that safe out there anymore. I think I need a zapper for a 20' range. I'd feel real safe then. Nobody's getting my metal detector! Glad your safe! Giving him one more whack wouldn't have hurt, just for good measure! lol

Thats What red Would Say Chug :thumbsup:

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My home modified digging shovel doubles as my walking stick.
People ask about it and that I made it my self. Boxed and drilled. Plenty of right angles to.
It keeps undesirables at a reasonable distance.
When detecting I have my Rambo digger at my side.
I had this drunken alien in my face one time wanting to try out my detector.
Like I was going to just hand it over to him.
I think that walking stick will chop off your foot if not care-full.:headbang:

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good for you! I'm glad you were not hurt. I generally wear a hat or hoodie since my blonde hair is like a siren, and I always detect with my 2 friends, Smith & Wesson. :) Breezie

Killer B Dunc

Mar 28, 2012
Benton, LA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Teknetics Delta 4000
Bounty Hunter pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank God for the second amendment. It really is an equalizer for law abiding citizens against scum of the Earth. I carry my .22 S&W on my hip mainly for snakes but, it will sure send someone to the promised land if need be. A shovel makes for a good improvised weapon, too. I'm glad you were able to repel this attack, brother. God bless.

Xhunter911

Mar 28, 2012
Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett freedom III coin commander
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad your ok bud!! I am always looking over my back while out detecting you never know when someone will approach you like he did.. I also carry my folding military shovel for protection just for idiot like that.. I hope that a@#hole learned his lesson!! you did the right thing

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
were you being kind and hit him with the "flat"of the shovel or being hard core and used the the edge ? if used correctly --the edge of a digging shovel is like a ax --the russian special forces had a sharpened edge to their "entrenching tools" which made getting hit with them like getting hit by an ax -it would split the persons skull like a ripe melon.

I sharpen the edges of my shovel, and it takes out some serious brush when I'm a mind to.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
9mm 6ft 2 230lbs tattoos an an attitude I wont be a victim glad your ok. Tommy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread