Predator shovels make great self defense weapons......

Missouri_John

Nov 27, 2006
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
says the guy who thought it was a great idea to try and rob me today while i was digging. I was near an old fort site today when some guy approached me and started asking me what i was doing. After telling him what i was up to, he asked me for $2 and i declined. He then took about 2 steps away and then comes up and grabs my arm. I dropped my machine and proceeded to swing my shovel and connected right in the middle of his face. After he fell to the ground, i picked my stuff up and drove off. It's real easy to get caught up in your own world while digging and have headphones on, but it always pays to be aware of your surroundings and to have eyes in the back of your head

Upvote 20

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good job! I always carry pepper spray..My city was settled in the 1680's and there's alot of cool places to hunt but there's sadly alot of crime here now..gotta watch your back

Last edited:

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad that your ok and from that dude you hit I hope its his last. Thats why I hunt with a buddy but if not I pack a blade or a 9mm with me. I already had the same thing happen to me but I was in my trunk putting away my detector. A guy walked up and ask Q's but then he got a little personal and to close. Then the dude looked in my trunk and saw my new Para .45 sitting in case. I told him, "If you going to rob me Im broke, thats why Im detecting goof". The guy took off running and yes I called the police.

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good job. I would still be careful how I worded what happened were I you. Shitheads like to turn failed robberies into "That guy assaulted me" and HE will have the wounds to show it. I've seen it happen.

Last edited:

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yea,, Thats scary Stuff I carry a water scoop and my knife .. No headphones when I Hunt the beach at night,,,,,, and always a hunting partner... glad you ok ...

NicktheMainer

Mar 22, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say you split his nose open, that shovel has some jagged teeth! Good for you though, I'm glad you're okay.

tngirl

Mar 16, 2012
N. Middle Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x & 1280 Aquanaut, White's XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad you posted this. I usually hunt by myself, sometimes in fairly isolated places. I hadn't really thought about anything like that happening, but I think I will start taking some protection with me now, especially since I'm on the small side. Glad you're ok.

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
he got what was coming to him, I would have done the same should have hit him again once for good luck...

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad Your Ok!!! Thats Why I dont Werar Headphone's!!! At Least Keep 1 Ear Uncovered!!!

Now that red Hunts With me We have 2 sets of eyes To Keep a watch out, GOD HELP ANYONE WHO EVER TRYS TO HARRASS OR HARM RED!!! First they will Have to Deal With Her!!! That Dangourous In Its Self :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: The Smiley's are For My Amusment!!!! She Can Be Very Resoursful As She Has Proven A Few times!!! Then They Would Have to Deal With With Her 6'4" 240 pound Angry Husband

Megagold

Mar 3, 2012
Calif by the Bay
Detector(s) used
MXT- AT Pro- Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it's not that safe out there anymore. I think I need a zapper for a 20' range. I'd feel real safe then. Nobody's getting my metal detector! Glad your safe! Giving him one more whack wouldn't have hurt, just for good measure! lol

cgull

May 17, 2010
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, AT PRO, XLT and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is exactly why I carry a Glock or an LCP when detecting secluded areas!

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
He got what he desered, good job. I hunt in very old park in Newark and on two seperatre occasions while hunting alone I got advice from the police. First time a NJ state trooper asked me about what I was doing and I showed him a few items. He told me what I already know about this being a VERY bad area. He saw my lesche shovel in my hand and said " Be alert and protect yourself. If you find yourself in danger I would take that shovel and push it through their eye into the brain" The other time a local Newark cop told me pretty much the same thing, " Dont be afraid to use deadly force to protect yourself if confonted in a bad situation."
Marty

Marinehunter

Jan 31, 2012
New York/Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Pro-pointer, Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to this only been at it for about 6-8 months and I thought about this before, I'm 63, retired law enforcement but have had both knees replaced not as steady on my feet. I do carry a knife along with my Lesch Landshark shovel but I also have a Glock I may carry and think when possible I will shed the headphones

Threshold

Mar 3, 2012
Riverside, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garret Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad u could protect urself. Wth wrong with pol now a days

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Job! What type of Predator shovel were you using if I might ask :occasion14: Hope it was the big Relic Pro or the Raven!

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad that you're okay. Had it turned out differently you may have been a bit discouraged about going out for a little while and that would rot. This is one of the main reasons that I just bought Rattlers headphones. I need to know what's going on around me at all times whether it's in a local park or in the middle of the woods. Stay safe

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
says the guy who thought it was a great idea to try and rob me today while i was digging. I was near an old fort site today when some guy approached me and started asking me what i was doing. After telling him what i was up to, he asked me for $2 and i declined. He then took about 2 steps away and then comes up and grabs my arm. I dropped my machine and proceeded to swing my shovel and connected right in the middle of his face. After he fell to the ground, i picked my stuff up and drove off. It's real easy to get caught up in your own world while digging and have headphones on, but it always pays to be aware of your surroundings and to have eyes in the back of your head

Yes, that is why I carry a Lesche. I had a guy approach me earlier in the week, and although I did not get a too threatening vibe; he was slightly aggressive. As he started giving me the business I cleaned my Lesche (as I always do after a dig) with my hand towel. The sight of that 8" blade really keeps things in perspective.
:wink:

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for you John! Wasn't a real skinny guy missing a few teeth (well...I mean before you whacked him with the shovel....) was he? If so I think I know who he was and he definitely deserved it! Find anything during your hunt besides the possible flat 3-ringer?

Stand Watie

Mar 24, 2012
Greenwood SC
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm with cgull. I always have my handgun on me. Usually when I'm prospecting I just keep my LCP clipped inside my waist band. It's small and doesn't get in the way when I'm squatting and climbing creek banks. When I'm out with my wife or just going about my daily business I have one of my Sigs. Thank God I never never had to present it.

Missouri John, it looks like you had things well under control and didn't need a firearm in this case. Well done sir. :icon_thumleft:

What John said is very true...we all need to stay alert to our surroundings at all times. We don't have to be paranoid, just pay attention to what's going on around us.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread