Another hunt at the Celtic grave area and a probable Celtic find...

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a peaceful hunt this evening at the Celtic grave site without the Jerky boys and no police. I did park so passers by could see my car, just to make a statement in case the Jerky boys drove by. Detected a little over two hours and made some interesting finds and a possible Celtic relic. Here is a picture of the bridge being built, the area is much larger than it looks and that is a two lane bridge, the grave site was at the base of the bridge. The scraped area goes on behind me for over a mile and will continue beyond the bridge for a good ¼ mile. The area should keep me busy for awhile and it’s only 15 minutes from my apartment. Need to get down to where the grave site was before it gets built over.
18Oct06bridge.jpg

The finds minus a few buttons, a 1925 brass/aluminum 10 Pfennig coin, a lead seal, a 1924 brass/aluminum 5 Pfennig coin and that beautiful little blue glass bead that I think I can safely say is Celtic was laying on the surface about half way down the strip towards the bridge.
18Oct06relics.jpg

Obverse of a nice little 1826 silver 1 Kreuzer coin, it is blackened over and will clean up nicely.
18Oct061826O.jpg

Reverse of the 1826, sorry about the crap pics, need to get a proper light to keep at the apartment. HH, Mike
18Oct061826R.jpg

Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must have missed part one of this site. :o Looks like this place will keep you very busy for a while Mike! Love the finds! Now...let me go look for part I. ;)

Nana :)

Sand

May 20, 2005
Germany
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250; Minelab Explorer II
Nice finds Mike, that silver is from Sachsen-Coburg-Saalfeld, Ernst 1. Congrats on celtic relic

HH
Sand

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Me too, Nana. Who the heck are the Jerky Boys? Isn't that a musical group? ;)

Anyways, Mike, nice finds....great pictures. :)

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome find's as usual Mike but I have a question,...Did these people know there was a grve site there?From the pic it look's like this road definetley need's to be straightened out but did anyone do any research on the place and "exume" the deceased before even laying a finger on it?

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
BM,

nice finds.

Thanks for posting photos of the site.

Glad you did not have problems today.

15 from the apartment; you can go back for
lunch and dinner; and also will not have to use the
woods ;)

Hope you find a bunch, I'm sure you will.

have a good un................

Salvager

Sep 4, 2006
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov. Elite / Explorer II
Looks like your site is keeping up to its potential!!!
Awesome set of finds, I'm sure there are plenty to follow!!

Cheers,
Salvager

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike...AWESOME finds!!! that blue bead is kinda cool too!!! Look forward to posts of your future and plentiful finds from that area..what an AWESOME site to hunt...CONGRATS!!!!

OP
OP
Bavaria Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the great comments all! Hey Civilman, they found the grave site doing the construction as far as I know and it has been completely exhumed by Archaeologists/students. I knew of the site as I was given some info from the Buildings and Grounds dept. back in February while researching rules, permits and permissions of the area. I just didn’t know where it was but, just the idea of Celtic presence, I thought would prove to be an interesting area to detect. When the two guys showed up and told me I had to leave, I didn’t know where the grave site was, I’m sure they did though. After the police left a lady came by and told me of the grave site at the base of the bridge. After typing all that, I did some quick research and found the Archies have known of the site since 1997 but just recently did the dig due to the road construction. HH, Mike

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds...no doubt you will make an AWESOME find there soon...keep swishing!

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Mike, congrats on your finds and i too have had problems with people who for what ever reason,interfer with the m.ders enjoying their hobby.hh

t.p

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Great find Mike, too bad I was not detecting back when I was there. Did however drive around and see the history all around me. Loads of it over there.

Looks like you are really on to something at that site. Can't wait to see what else comes from there.

Think the Jerky boys are probably done.

Congratulations,

Postalrevnant

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff Mike! Hey you need to head down this way so we can hit up the castlethat was flooded in the middle ages. :) .

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go again! Keep it up!