possibly my greatest find so far

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Since this forum gets more traffic than the "help ID" forum I figured I would start here.
today at lunch, working the area where I have homed-in on the remains of a building in some old woods I dug a coin that is:
approx 27mm in diam
sounds like silver when dropped
has what looks like a seated figure with a shield to the right
seems to have a date that COULD be 1794
on the other side is writing around the circumference, and what looks like a fancy scripted "H" along with more script.
it is holed, but so what...even if the date is 1879, I am thrilled (the 7 and 9 are clear)
I will post a pic in a little while.

Maybe that's enough to give you experts an idea what I unearthed!
I also dug another flat button, a part of a pewter spoon and a fired musketball!

Upvote 0

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
NICE FIND DANIMAL!!! I would have pee'd myself if I dug that outta the ground!

Congrats!!

Funkman

Groovedymond

May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesome! What a fantastic find!

By the way.. I hope you don't think I was trying to disappoint you... rather.. was just trying to make sure you got it identified properly!!

Fantastic Find!

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Groovedymond said:
That is awesome! What a fantastic find!

By the way.. I hope you don't think I was trying to disappoint you... rather.. was just trying to make sure you got it identified properly!!

Fantastic Find!

Thanks...wasn't taking your rebuttal at all like that...I was amazed at the huge variety of the coin in a single year!
Actually, the nine-string one made it easier to ID!

Thanks all...and Jeremy, I am still rubbing my eyes, amazed that I actually dug up a 214 year old coin! I could care less where it came from! The United States was 16 years old when this puppy was struck!

Someone pinch me!

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is just too awesome for words! Danimal, that is one sweet find!!

HH,
Ramapirate

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
Danimal,

Way to go! I'd probably need medical attention if I ever found something like that.

If I remember right from some of your posts, you use the pinpoint function on the Ace to scan for targets rather than just for pinpointing. Am I remembering right, or is my brain in overload from your great find?

If so, would you mind a quick rundown on how you do it? Thanks!

Mountainplayer

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Absolutely fantastic, Danimal. You should be very proud of finding that coin! :o

How deep was it?

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UNBELIEVEABLE FIND!!!!!

Very amazing, thanks for posting and sharing the pics.

Happy Hunting D....NS

Salvager

Sep 4, 2006
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov. Elite / Explorer II
thats one dang nice coine from a long long time ago in a place far far away.

AWSOMENESS!!!

Have fun mate and enjoy your find,
Salvager

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
mountainplayer said:
Danimal,

Way to go! I'd probably need medical attention if I ever found something like that.

If I remember right from some of your posts, you use the pinpoint function on the Ace to scan for targets rather than just for pinpointing. Am I remembering right, or is my brain in overload from your great find?

If so, would you mind a quick rundown on how you do it? Thanks!

Mountainplayer

ok...a quicky
when pinpoint is depressed on the ACE, most of the time a low tone is heard that is reflected by a bar or two on the signal strength meter. As you bring the center of the coil (on the ACE the "center" is just behind the front "toe" on the inside receiving loop on the coil) towards the target, this tone increases and the signal strength increases accordingly.
The ability of the ACE to "hold" this tone while swinging seems to be predicated by several things, namely moisture content in the soil (works better when wet) and the soil's mineral content.
Well, it seemed to me early on with the ACE250 that when you crank up the sensitivity to where deeper signals "trip" the chip's gate and cause it to chime in one of the ACE's three tones, you ALSO have to put up with a LOT of "false" chatter as the pc is fooled by many things into tripping a chorus of tones. It was then up to the user to decide WHEN to go to pinpoint and see if one of those "things" that caused a chime was actually a metallic object in the ground or not.
I started playing with depressing pinpoint to get the low tone, and holding it while swinging. This way, as the coil approaches a target and the field is distorted towards the target (the level the field is distorted seems to be determined by the level of the target's conductivity) you HEAR audibly the tone increase. THEN you can quickly bring the "hot spot" center of the coil right over the target (strongest tone), RELEASE pinpoint and let the pc try and get an accurate ID on the item as well as a decent depth reading.
BTW, I have proven to myself with a known target marked on the surface...that when I run NEAR it using the ACE normally, not a peep is heard...this means to me that the pc didn't "think" there was enough of whatever was there to "trip" a response and signal a chime.
BUT...when I ran by it at the SAME DISTANCE AWAY from it in pinpoint, I could HEAR the tone increase JUST BARELY...but enough to tell me something was nearby...allowing me to bring the center to bear and get a reading.
This way I am also quicker at determining that a pc. of foil or canslaw shallow is tricking the depth meter and ID, because they pinpoint whackier than a real target.
I run in All-metal mode, so when I release pinpoint I get a better feel for what's there.
This does not work perfectly all the time. Sometimes the soft tone will only hold for a partial swing...sometimes a few swings back and forth(regardless of swing speed or length)...these times I find myself re-depressing pinpoint constantly.
Sometimes in dry soil when pinpoint is depressed, NO tone is heard. I then lift the coil several inches above ground, depress pinpoint (and then get the tone) and then lower the coil and swing. These dry conditions are usually when I have to re-depress often.
This way I run sens. wide open nearly all the time, without the constant chatter and noise.

BTW, sometimes when woods hunting I run like anyone else :)

hey...it works fer me!!

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Mona Lisa said:
Absolutely fantastic, Danimal. You should be very proud of finding that coin! :o

How deep was it?

Hard to tell exactly as the ground was a muddy mess, but I'd say 6-7"

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
Danimal,

Thanks for sharing your expertise on the Ace. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who's going to be trying your technique; although in my case I probably should be sticking to the basics until I really learn this machine. Hard to do that after reading most of your posts these last few weeks. I'll let you know if it works for me.

By the way, I went back to the vacant lot where I found my first silver and the buff, and found a 1940 Half dollar....that some metal detectorist hating idiot had apparently built a rubbish fire right on top of! Twisted like you can't believe, but I can still read the date and "half dollar". I keep telling myself its worth at least 3-4 bucks in silver as is, but man that would have been a sweet coin to have..

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
mountainplayer said:
Danimal,

Thanks for sharing your expertise on the Ace. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who's going to be trying your technique; although in my case I probably should be sticking to the basics until I really learn this machine. Hard to do that after reading most of your posts these last few weeks. I'll let you know if it works for me.

By the way, I went back to the vacant lot where I found my first silver and the buff, and found a 1940 Half dollar....that some metal detectorist hating idiot had apparently built a rubbish fire right on top of! Twisted like you can't believe, but I can still read the date and "half dollar". I keep telling myself its worth at least 3-4 bucks in silver as is, but man that would have been a sweet coin to have..
Congrats on your first half, regardless of condition! I have dug three halves now, a 1939 Walker, a 1952 Franklin and a 73 Kennedy clad half. NOW, when my ACE says half and it ID's it from several different sweep angles, I actually think it might BE a half.

Bjorn_MD

Nov 19, 2003
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT
Congratulations are due for sure!

You went way back with this one, makes those Indian Heads look like lincolns!

Pick that site dry! It's definitely holds a nice assortment of relics and coins.

Continued prosperity,
Bjorn

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Hey Dan. Man, I miss a few days and I miss a lot. Your force powers have grown very strong!! ;D That is a sweet irish half penny. Not too bad a shape either. You might be able to resurrect that other coin to the point of being able to identify it. That would be very cool if it was a flying eagle.

Weather looks good for tonight and Saturday. I'm thinking of hitting the spot where I found the half dime on Saturday. Would love to hunt with you at this spot.

later

Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread